U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 10:43 AM

955 posts, read 2,863,816 times

Advertisements

I am looking to open up a new bank account outside of chase and bank of America. What would you say are the top five safest banks in Atlanta? Is suntrust bank one of them?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM

2,375 posts, read 3,729,905 times
Per Clark Howard, stay away from the BIG BANKS. I would recommend Delta Community Credit.

As long as you deposits are within the FDIC covered amount, you don't need the SAFEST bank. What you want to be focusing on is the bank with the highest earning rates, lowest borrowing rates and lowest fees

Old 03-04-2012, 02:34 PM

5,003 posts, read 2,779,057 times
Any FDIC insured bank covers the first $250k in an account.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:44 PM

8,283 posts, read 10,220,858 times
This really depends on how you bank.

For example, if you go all over town and want access to money any time, you're going to pay so many fees in ATM charges from a smaller bank that you may as well have just gotten a big bank.

A lot of times if you bank with the same bank that your employer uses and you sign up for direct deposit, you don't pay any fees.

Clark's answer may be overall correct, but there is no one size fits all. Different services are important to different people, so you have to think about what is important to you and who is best positioned to serve those needs.

I personally use Wells Fargo for checking. That's because I have been with them since they were Wachovia, my employer is with them, and I get free checking, savings, and online bill pay. No matter where I am in Atlanta, I am never far from a Wells Fargo ATM. They are even in every QT. If they ever charged me a fee, I'd bolt in a second, but they never have for anything.

Having said that, I use banks that don't even have physical branches for various forms of savings (for example, I have a special account that I use only to pay myself each month to save up for a car, I have a special account that I pay myself every month for taxes instead of having escrow with my mortgage, etc.) I keep all these accounts at separate banks just because I believe in diversification and it makes it easier for me to keep the money separate and earmarked for what I want it for. I'm probably more disciplined than most, I guess....but I make a modest income and I have to be smart if I want to retire at 65.

If you have different needs like needing a bank to take out a car note, personal loan, etc., credit unions are probably the way to go. They just aren't very convenient for quick and easy access to your money through ATMs. I think some of them may have programs where the reimburse you for fees incurred taking money out at ATMs that aren't their's, but that may just be USAA.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 PM

1,209 posts, read 3,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I am looking to open up a new bank account outside of chase and bank of America. What would you say are the top five safest banks in Atlanta? Is suntrust bank one of them?

Thanks.
Are you asking "safest" because in theory FDIC may only be able to pay out what it has in its account, which may not cover in the case of a "collapse"? I think Congress made a "statement" (not law) decades back that they would back the FDIC no matter what.

Is that why you are asking for safest?

Old 03-04-2012, 04:50 PM

955 posts, read 2,863,816 times
What do you guys think about SunTrust and BB&T? I am just looking for high rated banks. I think Chase and BoA has pretty low rating.

Old 03-04-2012, 04:58 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,071,904 times
for your bank, Since you are doing Real Estate investing, I would go in and meet a few of the bank managers/loan officers, and find who you like, Interview them like you are hiring them for a job (you are).

SunTrust BB&T seem to have good reps. But also look at some of the local non/chain banks. See what they can offer you.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:01 PM

2,683 posts, read 5,199,462 times
Many small banks and credit unions and even online banks like ING Direct have agreements that you can use many atms for free. For instance with ING Direct any chase ATM is free and most CVS's have chase ATM's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
This really depends on how you bank.

For example, if you go all over town and want access to money any time, you're going to pay so many fees in ATM charges from a smaller bank that you may as well have just gotten a big bank.

A lot of times if you bank with the same bank that your employer uses and you sign up for direct deposit, you don't pay any fees.

Clark's answer may be overall correct, but there is no one size fits all. Different services are important to different people, so you have to think about what is important to you and who is best positioned to serve those needs.

I personally use Wells Fargo for checking. That's because I have been with them since they were Wachovia, my employer is with them, and I get free checking, savings, and online bill pay. No matter where I am in Atlanta, I am never far from a Wells Fargo ATM. They are even in every QT. If they ever charged me a fee, I'd bolt in a second, but they never have for anything.

Having said that, I use banks that don't even have physical branches for various forms of savings (for example, I have a special account that I use only to pay myself each month to save up for a car, I have a special account that I pay myself every month for taxes instead of having escrow with my mortgage, etc.) I keep all these accounts at separate banks just because I believe in diversification and it makes it easier for me to keep the money separate and earmarked for what I want it for. I'm probably more disciplined than most, I guess....but I make a modest income and I have to be smart if I want to retire at 65.

If you have different needs like needing a bank to take out a car note, personal loan, etc., credit unions are probably the way to go. They just aren't very convenient for quick and easy access to your money through ATMs. I think some of them may have programs where the reimburse you for fees incurred taking money out at ATMs that aren't their's, but that may just be USAA.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:24 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,446,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post

Thanks.
I've been very happy with Suntrust over the past seven years. They seem to be willing to bend over backwards when issues occur, also ... when a mailed check they send on time (triggered via their bill pay web site) was late to arrive, they were right there to defend me as "our mutual customer" and set up conference calls with the payee to resolve the issue. When someone tried to pass forged checks against my account, they were very quick to stomp on it and kept me informed during the entire process. Etc.

Credit Unions are also very good ... I've been members of two in the past, but neither one has much presence in the Atlanta metro area.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:57 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,353,783 times
I would say Suntrust is the best bank in Atlanta! I have been with them for years. I am with Suntrust Private Wealth Management now, and I have never had a problem with them. They handle my investments, trusts, mortgages on my investment properties, credit card, safety deposit box, insurance, personal checking, LLC accounts for business, etc. Their online system is great for viewing my accounts. My financial advisor at Suntrust is always there whenever I need anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or