U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-20-2012, 03:50 AM

3,354 posts, read 6,675,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
City of Decatur schools are great but surely the better schools in the city of Atlanta and the surrounding counties are just as good, aren't they?
As individual schools, perhaps. The problems with a dysfunctional central office and school board (in the case of DeKalb) is that those things impact the talent you can attract. In the case of both Atlanta and DeKalb, simply being in metro Atlanta should given them a huge edge in recruiting top talent. It hasn't worked.

Remember you are buying a system (if you buy a home) not a specific school. As the recent redistricting battles in both Atlanta and DeKalb show, many people are only ok with their assigned school not the one 2 miles away.

Most strong CoA schools are being propped up by parents. Not a bad thing, but I think the CoD schools work because of the system as much as the parents.

One bad/weak/inept principal and a school that has improved over time can be quickly sunk. There was a great article about his recently, but I can't find it. A good school can slip to mediocre. The best and the brightest are passing DeKalb by.

DeKalb has an extraordinarily young principal corps on average. I have lost track, but as of a couple years ago the longest serving high school principal had been a high school principal for 5 years. I will say that new administration understands this and hopefully can turn things around, but it will be very slow.

Look at the graduation rates of Druid Hills High and Lakeside and scratch your head, and say what has happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-20-2012, 05:12 AM

220 posts, read 333,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
Hi there. I had a question regarding amenities for those families enrolled in City of Decatur schools.

What kind of access do you have to varied sports such as hockey, lacrosse and soccer? If so, at what levels? Elementary, middle and/or high school? In the community?

I know that many schools state and nationwide are opting out of instrumental instruction due to budget cuts. Do City of Decatur schools offer band/orchestra at the elementary school level? If not when? If not at all, any community access to instrumental instruction?

Just wondering if the intown schools have the same access to these types of amenities in comparison to suburban living. Would love to hear positive feedback from COD families.

Why is this area just as good as OTP (not including commute times) for families? If someone such as my family worked from home or traveled via Hartsfield, why would we choose this option when schools OTP have majority of their students 'exceeding' the standards (as a few people have told me)? What are your honest opinions of expeditionary learning? Sounds like this type of learning utilizes more of critical thinking rather than 'teaching to the test.'

I know that many families OTP use tutors for varied reasons. Are there tutorial services in and around COD?

As you can read from former posts, my family is considering a move OTP, specifically Johns Creek, but want to seriously consider intown living. We love how you have access to various museums, botanical gardens, the zoo, aquarium, Piedmont Park, festivals, local pools and a walkable community. What other aspects do you like about living here? This as you know, isn't an easy decision and we'd like to weigh all the pros and cons.

Thanks in advance.
Bearwithme:
I see kids playing lacrosse on the football field more than I see football players...which is weird cause I always pictured lacrosse as a midwest sport.

As far as living itp or otp to me it all depends on where you work. We both work with in a 6 mile drive of Decatur and rarely does it take more than 20 minutes to get to work regardless of rain or traffic or whatever. We chose Decatur due to the stability of the community and schools...we have a little guy entering next fall. As much as a bigger house would be nice I love being able to walk to downtown and all that has to offer from the fun bars and restaurants to the mundane cvs for necessities.

Also I only drive about 6k miles a year which i love...for different reasons than many I think...I'm a car guy and like to keep my cars low miles and in good shape!

Everyone has their likes and dislikes, but for me my biggest draw is not dealing with traffic. That is one stress that does not exist in my life which is wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta