Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,767,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Has anyone ever been to "Just Us"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Us_(Atlanta)
Never even knew about it, koko. That's cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 07:27 PM

23 posts, read 63,626 times
@bryan: thanks for the "intown" ATL suggestion. I'm gonna tackle the entire city, but if it doesn't work out, this is a great fallback. The only real restriction is keeping the minimum font size to 6pt. If I can do this and keep the map to a reasonable size (24"x36" or less), it should be ok.

@koko & arjay: thank you for the input on the official names. While I'm definitely interested in what the locals refer to certain areas as, I wouldn't want to exclude any neighborhood names if they're recognized by it's residents. Now if the people in Piedmont Heights don't call it Piedmont Heights... that's something I wanna know.

One of my biggest reasons for reaching out and looking for info was because some of the neighborhoods looked a little suspect at a glance. Just Us, for example, looks like it spans a single block... and it has quite a unique name. Far be it from me to tell them they're not a neighborhood though.

Another standout was Englewood Manor. It seems to be surrounded by Chosewood Park. Further wikipedia-ing reveals that it was torn down in 2008. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is it all Chosewood Park now?

Are there any other neighborhoods on this map that have gone the way of the dodo?

All input is welcome and appreciated!

Old 03-08-2012, 07:48 PM

747 posts, read 1,543,932 times
I agree with Bryant in that you'll definitely need to whittle the neighborhoods down, since there are SO many, and especially because many are just subdivisions (like in Buckhead and south Atlanta), or the names of housing projects. You'll want to pinpoint the ones that are going to mean the most to the people that see your finished product. Give us a comprehensive list and we'll help you edit.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever been to "Just Us"? Just Us (Atlanta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Never been/seen, but I love the name--and the history behind it as well.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No, but its for Just Us. What a silly name.
It's an awesome name.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM

@koko - sounds like a plan. I'll throw the list together when I get home.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:38 AM

@bryan: hey, I didn't even realize that you had posted an image along with the list (work comp blocked it). that is EXACTLY what I'm shooting for, but on a larger (all of Atlanta) scale if possible. Five points for example, I'd heard of, but didn't know where it was. Awesome map. Thank you.

As for a comprehensive list to whittle down, please see attached.

If you feel any of these neighborhoods reside within a larger neighborhood more commonly referred to, please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Atlanta Neighborhoods TXT.txt (4.1 KB, 319 views)

Old 03-09-2012, 04:04 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever been to "Just Us"? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_Us_(Atlanta)
it's off of MLK, it's basically two streets. the architecture is nice— mostly 20s-40s, sort of like jefferson park in east point.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:32 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,870,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanArchitext View Post
@bryan: hey, I didn't even realize that you had posted an image along with the list (work comp blocked it). that is EXACTLY what I'm shooting for, but on a larger (all of Atlanta) scale if possible. Five points for example, I'd heard of, but didn't know where it was. Awesome map. Thank you.

As for a comprehensive list to whittle down, please see attached.

If you feel any of these neighborhoods reside within a larger neighborhood more commonly referred to, please let me know.
just a first look at it, i see this:

i'm not too familiar with all the neighbourhoods in buckhead (which is what we call 99% of NPU A, B and C)

NPU D:

Blandtown doesn't exist anymore, I mean, there are a couple of houses left, but it's mostly just part of West Midtown now.

NPU E:

It's Loring Heights, with an R— probably just a typo.

Sherwood Forest is sort of part of Ansley Park (piedmont heights is part of ansley also), although it has a cool name.

NPU G:

I would throw out Lincoln Homes, if it's a project it's been torn down (we don't have any more projects). Atlanta Industrial Park also.

NPU H:

Bankhead Courts is a project— throw that one out.

NPU J:

Harvel Homes is a project, I think.

about NPU K and NPU L: although the technical boundaries for "bankhead" are pretty small, most people refer to a large section of the westside as bankhead, including grove park, bankhead, english avenue, center hill, dixie hills, etc.

the neighbourhood called english avenue... oh my, i don't know what to tell you. the technical name for it is english avenue but no one calls it that anymore. when it was a nice neighbourhood they called it western heights, but that was going back 80 years or so. they changed the name to english avenue in the 30s/40s and it remained decent until the 60s. ever since it's been basically a war zone and an open air heroin market. they call it "the bluff", but i don't know if you want to put that on your map or not. same with "bankhead". they're sort of derogatory names for the neighbourhoods, but a lot of the rap culture kind of views it as a badge of experience or bravery from having grown up there.

NPU N:

I think people call it Poncey-Highlands (plural). Virginia Highland is singular but for some reason that one is plural.

NPU O:

Scratch "The Villages at East Lake". it's nice now, but the reason they call it a separate neighbourhood is a holdover from when it used to be a project called 'east lake meadows', which was probably worse than anything we have in atlanta today.

NPU T:

"The Villages at Castleberry Hill", same as above. Old project, now a mixed income development. just group it in with castleberry hill.

NPU V:

"Capitol Gateway" was also an old project called capitol homes— but I don't know what other neighbourhood you'd group it in? Possibly grant park or summerhill.

NPU W: "state facility"? come on, you know there's no neighbourhood called that.

anyway, long story short, most of the neighbourhoods outside of what i drew above as "intown atlanta", aren't really neighbourhoods in a sense, they're more subdivisions, as many of them don't really have a retail district, whereas most of the neighbourhoods in 'intown' do have retail districts.

almost all of the neighbourhoods in A, B, C, we just call buckhead. if you go any further west than, say, oakland city, and south of west end, pretty much all of that is just called "cascade". and most of the westside north of hunter hills/mozley park and south of the tracks is just called "bankhead", but once again it's kind of a derogatory name.

Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,854,509 times
Do not forget the area north and east of the downtown connector, south of North Ave, and west of Piedmont Rd that is called SoNo. Hasn't really caught on, but there are signs in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta