U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:17 AM

8 posts, read 11,558 times

Advertisements

I don't know what's wrong with being angry about racism & opportunism in your backyard. I'd be more concerned about people trying to deny it, encourage it, or silence the folks trying to speak about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 AM

100 posts, read 108,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Building 11 View Post
I don't know what's wrong with being angry about racism & opportunism in your backyard. I'd be more concerned about people trying to deny it, encourage it, or silence the folks trying to speak about it.
So that's a 'yes' then, is it?

Most of the areas ITP bacame predominantly black due to white flight. Now more and more white people have returned to those areas. Apparently that's 'racist' and 'opportunist', is it?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM

Oakhurst didn't become predominantly African American because of white flight. Blacks chose to move there for two reasons: 1) they were being displaced by urban renewal projects in Decatur and Atlanta; and 2), more importantly, they wanted the same suburban homeownership opportunities as their white counterparts. Although Decatur is a "city," in 1966 it was and still is suburban.

It wouldn't be an issue in 2012 if the market were a level playing field and builders weren't harassing elderly folks to sell homes to tear them down to build McMansions that according to residents are being bought exclusively by whites. What's racist and opportunist is the projection of middle-class white folks' values onto the non-white, disadvantaged folks who see their neighborhood being dismantled and thinking that they share the view that what's occurring in Oakhurst is wonderful and beneficial for the community.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:39 AM

20,795 posts, read 32,794,641 times
Not worth a response. Move on, please.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:57 AM

28,056 posts, read 24,572,813 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be an issue in 2012 if the market were a level playing field and builders weren't harassing elderly folks to sell homes to tear them down to build McMansions that according to residents are being bought exclusively by whites.
Do blacks have no interest in buying in Oakhurst?

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,992,261 times
Quote:
Do you mean this house: 205 Maxwell Street | Ruined Decatur

The Maxwell Street house will only be in character with the rest of the neighborhood when the remainder of the smaller homes are torn down and replaced by McMansions.
Yep. That thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Are you saying a variance was given for this one that deviates from the building guidelines? If so the intent was posted and hearing were scheduled before the approval of the variance. Neighbors and good citizens of Oakhurst have the ability to become involved in the building process you know. You can contest things. I have a hard time believing it's actually 3 stories as 2 1/2 is the limit and I haven't seen any true 3 story homes but I'll check it out.

Oakhurst Castle is on Fayetteville, it was built in the early 1900s, it's really awesome.
I'm saying regardless of if a variance was issued, it's hardly "in character" with the neighborhood, and I think it's pretty offensive. Adhering to building ordinances does not make something automatically kosher. That thing would never get off the page if the lot were in the MAK district, which in my opinion would have been a much preferable situation. I'm sure agents working in the area love these huge things and the commission checks that come along with them. Hard to fault anyone personally benefiting from this development for being in favor of it's continuation. It's obviously a product people want, I just wish it didn't have to come at the expense of older homes.

Last edited by red92s; 07-29-2012 at 08:41 PM..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:48 PM

6,612 posts, read 6,520,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhurstlauren View Post
Are you saying a variance was given for this one that deviates from the building guidelines? If so the intent was posted and hearing were scheduled before the approval of the variance. Neighbors and good citizens of Oakhurst have the ability to become involved in the building process you know. You can contest things. I have a hard time believing it's actually 3 stories as 2 1/2 is the limit and I haven't seen any true 3 story homes but I'll check it out.

Oakhurst Castle is on Fayetteville, it was built in the early 1900s, it's really awesome.
I had a friend that lived in Oakhurst Castle back in 2003 or so. I loved hanging out there - it's very quirky and interesting.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:51 PM

28,056 posts, read 24,572,813 times
We drove through Oakhurst this weekend and I didn't see anything that looked out of character. It's just a neighborhood that's continuing to evolve. It looked terrific to me.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:53 PM

738 posts, read 1,115,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Go drive down Maxwell and tell me the enormous home under construction that cantilevers out over the double-wide driveway leading to a two-car garage is "in character" with the neighborhood. It's freaking huge and dwarfs everything around it.

Putting a couple tapered columns on the front porch doesn't make something that wide "fit" with surrounding buildings. The scale of craftsman architecture breaks down when you try and force it onto a 5 bedroom, 3 story home.

I guess there is a castle (literally) in the middle of the neighborhood that's been around a long time, so it's not like everything matched to begin with.
I nearly rented a really cute house on Maxwell St. last year, but decided against it because the massive infill house behind it completely dominated the back yard. There was a fence, but the three-story wall just a few feet away made me feel like I was always being watched.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:46 PM

In my opinion, the measure of a community isn't always who is moving in. Rather, it's who is being excluded, displaced, or who otherwise chooses to not live there. Decatur would do well to examine who has left and who has chosen to live elsewhere after considering Decatur as a possible home. Once Decatur comes to terms with why those decisions are made, Decatur may become a community where a wider range of folks would want to invest, live, and work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or