Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM

4 posts, read 9,097 times

Advertisements

Hi!

My husband and I are taking the leap and moving to Atlanta. He's accepted a job by Atlantic Station and in a few weeks we will be living in corporate apt housing in Dunwoody for a month. So during that month we need to find a good place to live. My husband's new boss says that the only good places to live are between 10pm and 2pm if you look at Atlanta like a clock face. Don't know if that is true, but we don't know anyone from Atlanta.

We are from Chicago and live downtown, so at first we thought we'd like to live in the city itself. But through research I see that many people think that Atlanta is not that safe. It is kind of hard for me to believe that Atlanta is more unsafe than Chicago. I've read about this so much now that I am starting to feel that I should more seriously consider these opinions and look at areas around and OTP. I've been looking at Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, Roswell. But then people seem to freak about the commute. Is it really that bad? ITP lately I've been looking at Decatur but online it looks a little rundown. I'd really like to rent a home or apt that is only about 30 minutes commute for him. Is that at all possible? I'd also like easy access (I'd love walking distance but it doesn't have to be) to some neighborhoody like solo proprietor shopping, coffee shops or restaurants. We don't have kids yet so school system is not an issue for us right now.

I'd like to know about other towns too. I've recently heard about Mableton (sp?). Any recommendations about other towns? Or am I on a decent track with the ones I'm currently researching? (We are coming to visit next weekend to start scouting areas and get a feel for things.)

Thanks much!

SP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,025,336 times
I'd revisit living in the city. Many of us do and enjoy it. Was out tonight and the streets are full of people and it is perfectly safe. For independent coffee shops etc consider Virginia Highlands, Inman Park, Old Fourth Ward and maybe even west midtown (right by his work). Midtown is also an excellent choice for a cosmopolitan view.

If you like living in the city why go OTP, sounds like chains and the suburban life do not interest you anyways.

Visit and look around before you decide it has to be OTP. I really think you would be very disappointed by somewhere like Mableton based on what you want. You won't be doing any walking to coffee shops and won't find many local shops there. If you have any questions on living in the city you can send me a message.

If a big house is more important then definitely OTP is it but it doesn't sound like that is what your looking for.

By the way if you live in the city I think traffic will not be an issue in your life, especially since your husband will be working in the city also. We find that traffic is barely a bother for us, those that complain the loudest live in the overcrowded suburbs.

Last edited by noah; 03-17-2012 at 09:14 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:23 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
You are a perfect candidate for intown living. Renting will allow you to try it out.

Noah has given you lots of good suggestions.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:37 PM

725 posts, read 1,273,978 times
Atlanta is alot safer than Chicago

Old 03-17-2012, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 9,097 times
Thanks Noah and LastMinuteMom, your thoughts are really appreciated! Part of me wanted to try the suburbs because I wanted a little patch of grass to call my own. But I also don't want to get stuck anywhere either.

We called this free apartment service called "Promove.com" the other day to get a sense of apartment options inside the perimeter. When we arrive we will go to their office and plan out a day of apartment hunting. We were also going to compare what we find in the city to the burbs options. Do you guys happen to have any opinions about the apartment complexes -- either to avoid or to seek out?

SP

Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM

725 posts, read 1,273,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetP72 View Post
Thanks Noah and LastMinuteMom, your thoughts are really appreciated! Part of me wanted to try the suburbs because I wanted a little patch of grass to call my own. But I also don't want to get stuck anywhere either.

We called this free apartment service called "Promove.com" the other day to get a sense of apartment options inside the perimeter. When we arrive we will go to their office and plan out a day of apartment hunting. We were also going to compare what we find in the city to the burbs options. Do you guys happen to have any opinions about the apartment complexes -- either to avoid or to seek out?

SP
In Atlanta you could live in the city walking distance from everything and still have a yard.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:12 PM

16,633 posts, read 29,306,224 times
Quote:
Hi!

My husband and I are taking the leap and moving to Atlanta. He's accepted a job by Atlantic Station and in a few weeks we will be living in corporate apt housing in Dunwoody for a month. So during that month we need to find a good place to live. My husband's new boss says that the only good places to live are between 10pm and 2pm if you look at Atlanta like a clock face. Don't know if that is true, but we don't know anyone from Atlanta.

We are from Chicago and live downtown, so at first we thought we'd like to live in the city itself. But through research I see that many people think that Atlanta is not that safe. It is kind of hard for me to believe that Atlanta is more unsafe than Chicago. I've read about this so much now that I am starting to feel that I should more seriously consider these opinions and look at areas around and OTP. I've been looking at Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, Roswell. But then people seem to freak about the commute. Is it really that bad? ITP lately I've been looking at Decatur but online it looks a little rundown. I'd really like to rent a home or apt that is only about 30 minutes commute for him. Is that at all possible? I'd also like easy access (I'd love walking distance but it doesn't have to be) to some neighborhoody like solo proprietor shopping, coffee shops or restaurants. We don't have kids yet so school system is not an issue for us right now.

I'd like to know about other towns too. I've recently heard about Mableton (sp?). Any recommendations about other towns? Or am I on a decent track with the ones I'm currently researching? (We are coming to visit next weekend to start scouting areas and get a feel for things.)

Thanks much!

SP

Based on your criteria and job location, you should look into:

1. Various Intown Locations
2. The Smyrna/Mableton/Vinings Area

And that's really it. Consider yourself lucky.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:30 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,823,339 times
Quote:
We are from Chicago and live downtown, so at first we thought we'd like to live in the city itself. But through research I see that many people think that Atlanta is not that safe. It is kind of hard for me to believe that Atlanta is more unsafe than Chicago.
it's hard to believe because it isn't true. atlanta, especially midtown and buckhead, is definitely safer than chicago. whoever told you that chicago is safer than atlanta is a dope. the westside of atlanta is not a safe area, but you'll know if you get over there, there's no grocery stores or restaurants or anything in unsafe areas that are in town, and recently those places have become fewer and farther between.

and whoever called decatur rundown, you need to smack them upside the head. decatur is probably the nicest place inside the perimeter, low crime, great schools, great restaurants, urban feel, but also quiet, it's like a small college town dropped into the middle of a big city.

so you live in downtown chicago? would you like to live in an urban area, a single family home, etc? we have tons of options all inside the perimeter and close to atlantic station. you can even live in atlantic station if you want.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,823,339 times
Quote:

SP
well "in-town" neighbourhoods here still have homes and yards, but they're all historic, nothing new. for example, virginia-highland, where i was tonight, is completely walkable but houses there outnumber apartments.

try google streetview, do you know how to use that? you go to maps.google.com and you can check out what various places look like from the view of the streets.

atlanta is weird because we don't have a single "urban center" where there are high rises and apartments and everything that radiates out from that center point gets smaller as you go out. here, we have multiple urban centers with parks and neighbourhoods in between it all. for example, you'll find something like this:

and you'll *think* you're in downtown.

then you'll drive a few miles south, and see something like this:

Google Maps

and think "oh, i must be in the suburbs." wrong, because then you run into this:

Old 03-18-2012, 02:50 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,971,971 times
It would really help if you indicated what your budget is.

That's going to be huge in determining the best place for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta