U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-21-2012, 07:26 AM

6,155 posts, read 2,810,849 times
As gas prices continue to rise and more people get back to work, those that commute via car will want alternative commutes. That's what mass transit offers. Personally I do want Cobb and Gwinnett to pass the MARTA sales tax, but think MARTA should run all rail, while GRTA runs buses in the metro area. The MARTA board has members from CCT and GCT, so Cobb and Gwinnett are represented on a board that they do not pay for. Rail transit needs to be expanded tot he suburbs and there is a need to suburb-to-suburb trains. If the rail lines get extended to Cobb and Gwinnett, I can see a Perimeter line connecting along I-285 so not all users must transfer at Arts Center or Lindbergh, but that will take time.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM

9,915 posts, read 12,788,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It's just that the metro area mushrooms in population (1990 to 2000, wow) and Cobb and Gwinnett about 5 miles OTP, minimum, will see some serious infill and population growth in the next decade...and the next...
Cobb already has almost 700,000 residents. I can see it adding some, but not more than perhaps 10% in the next decade.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:27 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,738,396 times
Mostly because you still have these idiots that think that someone is going to get on Marta, ride all the way across town to their area, vandalize their home and rob it, then get on Marta (with all of the stolen materials strapped to their back) and go back to the other side of town. Some of the dumbest logic there is basically.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM

3,826 posts, read 2,796,225 times
Just to play devil's advocate....

I don't think anybody really believes the scenario you just described.

But I do think some people may have the concern that MARTA could bring in people who do not belong in the area.

A few years ago, I went to Kroger on Peachtree in Brookhaven. It's a nice area (did you know that the Wells Fargo there has the HIGHEST NET WORTH of any Wells Fargo in all of Atlanta?) and on my way in, some guy asked me for money. When I got in, I asked the manager how in the world there is a panhandler in a Kroger in a nice area of town. He just shrugged his shoulders and pointed to the MARTA station across the street.

So you see, even if you don't like it, there actually is SOME validity to the fear that MARTA could potentially bring in an element of people that are not wanted.

I think the whole criminal idea may have made more sense in the 70s when having a car was less common for people of limited means, but nowadays pretty much anybody can get a car. I don't think people are afraid of that so much as they just don't want problems like Atlantic Station was famous for. It's not that people were actually committing crimes at AS, they were just making it a place that a lot of people didn't want to go anymore.

Anyway, I think all people have to do is look at North Springs and figure out how they keep their area of town pristine even though it has a MARTA stop there and everything will be fine.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:53 PM

1,979 posts, read 944,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Mostly because you still have these idiots that think that someone is going to get on Marta, ride all the way across town to their area, vandalize their home and rob it, then get on Marta (with all of the stolen materials strapped to their back) and go back to the other side of town. Some of the dumbest logic there is basically.
Hey look! Brownhornet shows up to throw some stupid racial jabs. Shocker.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:56 PM

Well, he didn't say that the person who would rob the people is black.

So let's just go ahead and add that for him. The person who would do the robbing is black....lol! And the person being robbed is white, because we all know the suburbs is nothing but white racists. Even Gwinnett, which is majority minority, but nevermind that!

Incidentally, the panhandler I saw at Kroger in my story was white.

Unread 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM

1,979 posts, read 944,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Well, he didn't say that the person who would rob the people is black.

So let's just go ahead and add that for him. The person who would do the robbing is black....lol! And the person being robbed is white, because we all know the suburbs is nothing but white racists. Even Gwinnett, which is majority minority, but nevermind that!

Incidentally, the panhandler I saw at Kroger in my story was white.
I guess you haven't read any of his previous posts. The guy is a troll and we all know his MO.

Unread 03-21-2012, 06:00 PM

I know. That's why I went ahead and added it for him, because I'm sure he just forgot to do it himself.

Unread 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM

2,694 posts, read 2,009,742 times
Great points but very futile. This website swings decidedly to the right. Witness the dog-whistle commentary and coded-language that's being used to justify what is essentially irrational and overhyped fear.

And if you end up punching these guys too hard with your logic and consistently calling them out on their BS, they will cry like babies to the moderators and the mods will mollify and coddle them accordingly. So much for having an honest adult conversation. It just doesn't happen in Georgia, unfortunately.

But then again the march forward has always been a difficult march, since time immemorial. But progress we must!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post

Last edited by AcidSnake; 03-21-2012 at 07:27 PM..

Unread 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM

538 posts, read 388,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Great points but very futile. This website swings decidedly to the right. Witness the dog-whistle commentary and coded-language that's being used to justify what is essentially irrational and overhyped fear.

And if you end up punching these guys too hard with your logic and consistently calling them out on their BS, they will cry like babies to the moderators and the mods will mollify and coddle them accordingly. So much for having an honest adult conversation.

But then again the march forward has always been a difficult march, since time immemorial. But progress we must!
Hey Snake.....I thought you were all about keeping the thread on point with the original topic.....what do "right-wing conspiracies" have to do with Marta expanding into Gwinnett and Cobb?... The reality is that a number of us have pointed out that the perception of Marta bringing ghetto crime to the suburban north is what drives this issue. You may not like that fact.....but it is a fact. It may not be a rational perception by the suburban dwellers....but perception is reality......and I know that you will "confront.....that ignorance in the way that [your] ancestors have" ..... "directly in [your] own intelligent way".....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta