U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 11:58 PM

5,172 posts, read 2,834,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Not one person on this thread has "exalted over the death" of a 17 year old man........the thread is about why hundreds of Atlantans would leave their families and jobs to attend a protest rally over this case when the evidence appears to show that the shooter acted in self defense of the 6'3 "child" who was on top of him and beating him....
Because that's not what the evidence showed at all, only what the guy said.

Second, Zimmerman had over 100 lbs on the kid (he's pretty skinny if you look at his pics). So the idea that he could have beaten Zimmerman up is ludicrous.

I have noticed though that those people I know who dislike blacks have made exactly the argument you are making. That we should just take the other guy at his word and forget the whole thing. This kind of analysis is frequently based on an assumption that anytime a black person is involved in an altercation it is automatically their fault. And that assumption is disgusting and racist.

What we had here is a vigilante who decided to start a fight with an innocent even after the police told him not to, and as a result the innocent ended up dead.

Last edited by atltechdude; 03-23-2012 at 12:09 AM..

Old 03-23-2012, 01:36 AM

4,649 posts, read 6,497,521 times
For the people who want to make this about race try this. Switch the color line. We all know the history of the South so what if a Black man did the same thing and the victim was a White man? Would the actions of the police department still be valid?

No matter the color people have to take off their blinders and understand in the states with the stand your ground law the victim could be you or one of your loved one. So it's not about race. That's why people take off work and protest/march.

"Officer it was self defense"..... Think about it when you and your loved ones leave the house today.

Stand your ground states: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stand-your-ground_law

Old 03-23-2012, 05:48 AM

538 posts, read 776,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Because that's not what the evidence showed at all, only what the guy said.

Second, Zimmerman had over 100 lbs on the kid (he's pretty skinny if you look at his pics). So the idea that he could have beaten Zimmerman up is ludicrous.

I have noticed though that those people I know who dislike blacks have made exactly the argument you are making. That we should just take the other guy at his word and forget the whole thing. This kind of analysis is frequently based on an assumption that anytime a black person is involved in an altercation it is automatically their fault. And that assumption is disgusting and racist.

What we had here is a vigilante who decided to start a fight with an innocent even after the police told him not to, and as a result the innocent ended up dead.
Well now...you could take into account the eyewitness testimony of neighbor "John" who witnessed the whole thing and stated that Traymon was on top of Zimmerman beating him......or the fact that the police report noted grass stains on the back of Zimmerman's shirt, a bloody nose and trauma to the back of his head....or you could just ignore the facts.....as you are obviously doing.....just like the rest of Pavlov's dogs who got on buses yesterday.......

Old 03-23-2012, 06:03 AM

248 posts, read 379,123 times
This whole thread is silly.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:51 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,538,453 times
Surprised not to see the other two in here.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM

29,973 posts, read 27,489,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Surprised not to see the other two in here.
Right.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:10 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,696,399 times
This is a situation that certainly warrants more investigation. However, what is the point of protesting? Are we trying to intimidate law enforcement into action or trying to spur action based on the actions of protesting masses? I'm pretty sure this is the same sort of mob rule behavior that minorities have been victims of in the past. This needs to be investigated, but protesting it is pointless.

I believe a lot of America could get onboard with a lot of these causes which are protested, but the lunatic fringe who take over these causes alienate most of America from siding with them. While this might not be a case like that, past cases like the absurd protests of Troy Davis' execution de-sensitive many Americans to the cases that are possibly legitimate injustices.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM

538 posts, read 776,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
This is a situation that certainly warrants more investigation. However, what is the point of protesting? Are we trying to intimidate law enforcement into action or trying to spur action based on the actions of protesting masses? I'm pretty sure this is the same sort of mob rule behavior that minorities have been victims of in the past. This needs to be investigated, but protesting it is pointless.

I believe a lot of America could get onboard with a lot of these causes which are protested, but the lunatic fringe who take over these causes alienate most of America from siding with them. While this might not be a case like that, past cases like the absurd protests of Troy Davis' execution de-sensitive many Americans to the cases that are possibly legitimate injustices.
What a reasoned post.......and never forget the whole Al Sharpton/Tawana Brawley affair with similar protests which ended the careers of decent law enforcement people over a "lie"......supported by mass protests. I see the "great uniter" has weighed in on this local story today saying "if I had a son he would look like Traymon".....geez. One of my employees had a number of friends get on busses to go to Traymon's protest.....I asked her to describe the facts of the case....she (and her friends) had no idea that Traymon was on top of Zimmerman beating him....

Old 03-23-2012, 12:15 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,497,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
What a reasoned post.......and never forget the whole Al Sharpton/Tawana Brawley affair with similar protests which ended the careers of decent law enforcement people over a "lie"......supported by mass protests. I see the "great uniter" has weighed in on this local story today saying "if I had a son he would look like Traymon".....geez. One of my employees had a number of friends get on busses to go to Traymon's protest.....I asked her to describe the facts of the case....she (and her friends) had no idea that Traymon was on top of Zimmerman beating him....
The police tells Zimmerman to back off. He doesn't and confronts the person and somehow a fight starts (Trayvon defending himself) and Zimmerman getting his butt whooped and then shoots the guy. If it did go that route he still had no reason to confront Trayvon once the police were involved and which they instructed him not to follow.

So yes take away the implied racial aspect of it and look at it for what it is. A kid was shot and the police took the shooters version as gospel and that's it. The way it seems that could happen to pert near anyone.. That's why people march and protest.

People saw the video of Rodney King getting beat down and still some said the Cops were justified and did nothing wrong. That's why people protest and March. A man was executed in Georgia with all kinds of doubt and even the Pope couldn't stop it. That's why people protest and march.

The world is watching.

Obama calls Florida teen killing 'tragedy' - Americas - Al Jazeera English

BBC News - Obama: Trayvon Martin death 'a tragedy'

Old 03-23-2012, 12:28 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,210,227 times
Protest my A$$....These people are wasting their time. Lets get on with our lives already. Black on Black crime is COOL, BUT suddenly White on Black crime is not?? Sucks what happened to the kid, but he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Stuff happens. Protest something that matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta