Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 6,988 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm doing another "I'm thinking of moving here..." posts, but a little bit different, I hope. Everything I've found, statistics-wise, has made me think I'll like Atlanta: it's big, warm weather, fairly sunny, good job prospects, that type of thing. But, what type of people will I meet while there? How would you describe the personality of Atlanta? Thanks!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM

722 posts, read 3,315,341 times
I'd describe it as fast paced, a whirlwind

Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
What?

Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,770,611 times
I'd describe it has having something for everyone

Outdoorsy - Check
Arts - Check
Shopping - Check
Family - Check
etc

The key to living happily in Atlanta is knowing your priorities and finding the area of town that best fits those priorities

Old 03-21-2012, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 5,005 times
I just moved here from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl and I have to say that I have never encountered so many extremely friendly people. At first, it was a bit strange to me because people in Florida are not friendly at all. It was strange because it was so much different than what I was used to, but it is refreshing to see that people with manners do exist still! I have enjoyed my experience so far in Atlanta and am so glad that I made the move here. I hope this helps!

Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
People here are friendlier than other regions, except other Southern cities. I agree with lorilove in finding the area that fits your personality and has the qualities you want are the most important or you'll end up hating it. If you want transit and walkability then look at in-town neighborhoods. If you want large yards, newer homes, and don't mind driving then look at the suburbs.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms_Candycorn View Post
Yes, I'm doing another "I'm thinking of moving here..." posts, but a little bit different, I hope. Everything I've found, statistics-wise, has made me think I'll like Atlanta: it's big, warm weather, fairly sunny, good job prospects, that type of thing. But, what type of people will I meet while there? How would you describe the personality of Atlanta? Thanks!
The Atlanta metro is fairly large, the weather here is nice (though it *will* get down into the teens in the wintertime at night), and the weather here is fairly sunny, but the job market isn't very good right now. Unemployment was 9.2% in January (latest numbers available).

I would say the city is forested, diverse in many respects, still energetic but sometimes running in circles, a little bit of a free for all when it comes to education and crime, and politically fragmented.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,049,033 times
I would say it depends very heavily on which part of town you choose to live in.

People are everything from as friendly as real southern cities to as rude as people in South Florida. It really varies depending on which part of the city you are talking about.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:11 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdiddy0027 View Post
I'd describe it as fast paced, a whirlwind
Hmmm, I consider Atlanta a little slow for such a large city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeShell888 View Post
I just moved here from Ft. Lauderdale, Fl and I have to say that I have never encountered so many extremely friendly people. At first, it was a bit strange to me because people in Florida are not friendly at all. It was strange because it was so much different than what I was used to, but it is refreshing to see that people with manners do exist still! I have enjoyed my experience so far in Atlanta and am so glad that I made the move here. I hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
People here are friendlier than other regions, except other Southern cities. I agree with lorilove in finding the area that fits your personality and has the qualities you want are the most important or you'll end up hating it.
Atlanta was always hit or miss with me as far as friendly people. I think it really depends on the area but overall I just never got a "friendly" vibe from Atlanta. People seem much more friendly, and even happier, in Arlington than Atlanta(maybe not in D.C. but certainly in Arlington). Maybe that's due to the recession barely having an impact here.

As far as people not being friendly in Fl, Jacksonville and the upper and middle east coast of Florida seems fairly friendly to me overall. Miami wasn't all that friendly but not everyone was a jerk.

I'll agree that certain neighborhoods are better for certain personalities in Atlanta. That's one thing that I simultaneously liked and disliked about it.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:11 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,372,905 times
I have not found atlanta to be a friendly place. Having moved from south florida about 12 years ago, I can honestly say that I thought people down there were more friendly.

I don't really like to label a city as being friendly or unfriendly. What I can tell you is in florida, I felt people to be relatively laid back. Easy going and made good friends.

Some of the natives of the area are friendly and warm and great for conversation. But the majority of people I come across are transplants from somewhere else (like myself) and I'd like to use an expletive to describe them but instead I'll just say that I have not made many friends here. Or more accurately, I've made friends but I haven't kept many.

I'm so sorry but I wouldn't recommend that anyone move here for the "friendly people."

Just as a side note, I lived in Miami and fort lauderdale both. I thought the people in Broward County were the friendliest people that I've met anywhere else on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta