U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-27-2012, 09:50 AM

7,739 posts, read 10,027,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Well the hotel tax is the main source of revenue
OK, but then as you mention, aren't there better uses for the money, and do we want to discourage people from booking conventions here due to higher costs?

I'm just fundamentally opposed to using public money to subsidize a highly profitable private sports franchise. I hope this shows my consistency on these kinds of issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,371,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
No, to me it's not. We've gotten to a point in the NFL where the Commissioner feels that every Superbowl has to be in a stadium that was built in the last 5 years. That's crap.

Frankly, in my opinion they should play the game at the home field of one of the participants, just like the playoffs and every other sports championship. Why is it fair that if New England is in the Superbowl, they can't host it? Why does it have to be in Miami or New Orleans every year, with an occasional stop in Arizona or San Diego, etc.

You don't have to agree with me, and neither does the NFL or the Falcons, but it becomes my concern when the state wants to use my tax dollars to fund this unnecessary nonsense. Not one cent of public funds should be used for this. Let Arthur Blank (who I respect immensely) fund this with his investors.
Blaming Goodell for acting in the best interests of his owners is absurd. He is the commissioner of a league and represents the owners. Why should he not use the Super Bowl to try to get new stadiums built to increase the profitability of the franchises? He wouldn't be doing his job by not doing this. He isn't forcing anything to get done either. Blame the local politicians and the individual owner who are trying to push this through on us.

The game should be played in Miami, San Diego, and New Orleans exclusively IMO and certainly should not be played in possible cold weather sites like NYC, Indy, Detroit, Dallas and even as we saw in 1999, Atlanta.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:15 AM

744 posts, read 856,705 times
Quote:
OK, but then as you mention, aren't there better uses for the money, and do we want to discourage people from booking conventions here due to higher costs?

I'm just fundamentally opposed to using public money to subsidize a highly profitable private sports franchise. I hope this shows my consistency on these kinds of issues.
I agree, but I'm for the extension of the hotel tax, however I'm not for the stadium. We could use the money to build up our infrastructe. Fixing side walks, street scapes, infill stations, and roads would be better than tearing down a perfectly good building. If the Falcons would leave for the suburbs, I could live with that. Now if they threaten to leave the region, which I haven't heard, I'd be more inclined to use the money for the stadium.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemanarmy View Post
Well the hotel tax is the main source of revenue, so it's primarily the vistors to the city who will foot the bill.
Apparently the Dome is getting $18 million from the hotel tax, which is about 29% of their total revenue.

They're claiming that:
"In Fiscal Year 2011, seat and suite license fees remained the largest contributor to the facility’s operating revenue accounting for 43 percent. Rent, food services and advertising accounted for a collective 53 percent of the operating revenue with rent accounting for 25 percent, food 18 percent and advertising 10 percent. Operating revenue for the year totaled $42 million and the year concluded with a $14.8 million profit."
But who knows?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,665,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
What makes the parties better? Im just asking like explain why a New Orleans party is better than an Atlanta party so I can understand what you mean.
I'll take this one. I've never been to a Super Bowl, but I've been to lots of Sugar Bowls and a few SEC championship games here, and yes, NOLA throws a better party than Atlanta does. Why? Because NOLA specializes in partying. That's what they do and they're darned good at it. Atlanta's problem is that it's a money town. People come here primarily to make money. They don't particularly like anything that interferes with that. So they're a bit heavy handed with the policing. They set up road blocks that make no sense, and because there's so much native traffic the event traffic results in gridlock. NOLA has only one purpose--partying. That's the only reason anyone goes there. They have a specific, reasonably safe heavily patrolled area in which one may party like a rock star and live to tell the story. You can visit a dozen different bars and clubs in NOLA without a car. That's a lot harder to do in ATL. NOLA has history, atmosphere, unbelievable food and above all music. Atlanta? Not so much. Atlanta only has music if you're under thirty and into hip hop. Hardly the Super Bowl attendee demographic. There are some great restaurants here, but they're all over the place. The sprawl is simply deadly in that regard. NOLA is known for laissez bonne temps roulez. Atlanta is known for traffic, sprawl and hip hop. Really bad hip hop. Is that fair? Of course not. NOLA is also dirty, impoverished and crime ridden. But like the old courtesan she is the city is really good at turning down the lights and slapping on some lipstick to disguise how worn she is. Atlanta is bright, shiny and new. Filled with new money. But new money can be obnoxious and totally lacking in character. Certainly you can have fun here, but its a lot more work.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:30 PM

7,739 posts, read 10,027,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Blaming Goodell for acting in the best interests of his owners is absurd.
Just because he is doing something that he believes in his and the league's interest, doesn't mean it's absurd to criticize it, or even that he's correct. You can rationalize his logic, but I take issue with it.

Personally, I think it's absurd to claim that Atlanta needs a new stadium while simultaneously holding this year's Superbowl in a 40 year old stadium. You can feel free to disagree.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 PM

2,039 posts, read 2,665,248 times
Quote:
Just because he is doing something that he believes in his and the league's interest, doesn't mean it's absurd to criticize it, or even that he's correct. You can rationalize his logic, but I take issue with it.

Personally, I think it's absurd to claim that Atlanta needs a new stadium while simultaneously holding this year's Superbowl in a 40 year old stadium. You can feel free to disagree.
This I agree with. I think it's positively obscene to even consider tearing down a perfectly useful building that's bareful paid for and only twenty years old. Frankly, to me it smacks of civic malpractice to even consider doing so in a city hit as hard by the recession as Atlanta. I understand there's a certain amount of prestige and PR in landing a Super Bowl, but is this really something we want to invest in right now? Especially given our problems with infrastructure and hell, even that basic of life, water? Seems to me if we're going to raise money through a tax it makes far more sense to spend it on the basics before we go reaching for pie in the sky.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:57 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Atlanta only has music if you're under thirty and into hip hop. Hardly the Super Bowl attendee demographic.
I totally agree with you about the charms of New Orleans. When it comes to throwing a party, there's no way Atlanta can compete with its compact, Old World feel.

However, Atlanta music is about way more than just hip hop. We've got mega stars like Alan Jackson, Travis Tritt, the Indigo Girls, the Black Crowes, and countless rock, blues, country, jazz and indie bands. Not to mention an outstanding classical music scene.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:09 PM

2,400 posts, read 1,369,837 times
Obviously I'm in favor of the new stadium, but I want to clarify that that support is quite tentative. Reason? The Dome is only 20 years old. Were it closer to 40, I'd say hell yeah, bring on the new place.

From a functional point-of-view, it gets the job done. But apparently, from an economics point-of-view, a bigger stadium would be a long-term asset to the franchise.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:12 PM
JPD

7,959 posts, read 8,235,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Atlanta only has music if you're under thirty and into hip hop.
Sorry, that's false. There'a a lot of great local musical talent here, some of it well known throughout the world. One of the differences between Atlanta and New Orleans is that Atlanta (thankfully) hasn't become pigeonholed into one musical genre to the extent that New Orleans has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta