Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 10:36 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
A dome is necessary because they don't want bad weather ruining all the monster truck shows they plan to have there.
How often do they come? I haven't seen Bigfoot in action for 20 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 10:44 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,404,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
How often do they come? I haven't seen Bigfoot in action for 20 years.
They have them every year as well as the dirt bike races and many other events like the battle of the bands...which usually pack the dome.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
They(the Falcons) will probably demand that Atlanta build a floating hover-stadium in outer-space to the tune of several TRILLION dollars...and still wouldn't have a Superbowl win to show for it.

Why is crony capitalism so deeply entrenched in the south?
Bingo

Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Call me crazy, but doesn't it make sense, given the relative "youth" of the GA dome, to keep it for such events, and build a new domeless stadium for football? Or am I missing something? Surely a domeless stadium is cheaper than even one with a retractable roof. Seems to me you would then be doubling your capacity to house various events. It rarely gets too cold here to play football outdoors, but if that did happen then you could just move the game to the dome.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,156,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
Call me crazy, but doesn't it make sense, given the relative "youth" of the GA dome, to keep it for such events, and build a new domeless stadium for football? Or am I missing something? Surely a domeless stadium is cheaper than even one with a retractable roof. Seems to me you would then be doubling your capacity to house various events. It rarely gets too cold here to play football outdoors, but if that did happen then you could just move the game to the dome.
That seems to make sense. Retractable roofs add a lot to the costs. Besides, fall is by far our prettiest season, weather-wise.

Lord help us if an event is scheduled at Philips, the dome, and the new stadium all at the same time, though. It's bad enough when they've got something going on at both the dome and Philips.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
because that means you have two huge ugly stadiums in the middle of downtown. the dome and GWCC have already ruined any chance of reviving vine city and english avenue, while east of downtown neighbourhoods are thriving. at least if you take down the dome you have the opportunity to reconnect the neighbourhoods. putting up another stadium in addition to the georgia dome is just messing up more of downtown, unless the entire 'stadium' format is redesigned to include parts that are open all the time to keep foot traffic going.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:00 AM

Is there any particular reason why this new stadium would have to be doentown? Weren't there some rumblings a while back about using the old GM olant site in Doraville? As for reconnecting old neighborhoods, that's a lofty goal to be sure, but do we really want o tear own a PAID FOR twenty year old building to accomplish this? Seems rather, well bizarre to be sure.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:20 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
Quote:
You are correct that an open-air stadium would be cheaper than a stadium with a retractable roof. Having two stadiums (the Georgia Dome plus a new open-air stadium) was the original proposal, but I think they decided that the maintenance cost of two facilities was too great.

Plus, as Bryantm3 said, then there would be two huge buildings taking up valuable real estate in the middle of downtown.

So even though it is more expensive to build a retractable stadium, in the long-run that makes more economic sense than having and maintaining two stadiums so close together. (Of course IMO the thing that makes the most sense is to just make do with the Georgia Dome for another 15 or 20 years).

Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Plus, as Bryantm3 said, then there would be two huge buildings taking up valuable real estate in the middle of downtown.
And once again I ask, why does the new stadium have to be downtown? It's not exactly unheard of for a football stadium to be out from the city center. Presumably that's why the NY teams play in NJ. From my perspective, the Doraville site is ideal. Right by the interstate, and, of course the MARTA line terminates there. Of course, if Doraville doesn't work I imagine there are plenty of sites about that would work well.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:04 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,898,568 times
Quote:
And once again I ask, why does the new stadium have to be downtown? It's not exactly unheard of for a football stadium to be out from the city center. Presumably that's why the NY teams play in NJ. From my perspective, the Doraville site is ideal. Right by the interstate, and, of course the MARTA line terminates there. Of course, if Doraville doesn't work I imagine there are plenty of sites about that would work well.
I actually agree with you on that. I think it makes sense for baseball, basketball and hockey venues to be in town b/c they are smaller and they have more events. However football is a different beast. The stadiums are so gigantic and seat so many people (the majority of whom drive), plus there are only 8 or 10 games a season. To me it makes sense for those to be a bit further out. Perhaps it is b/c the football stadiums are also used for concerts and other events. Still, I don't know why they need to be right in town.

I have often thought that Atlanta would have been better off if Turner Field was where the Georgia Dome is located and the Georgia Dome was where Turner Field is located (or maybe even further out).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta