Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:15 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,731,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I'm gonna guess the fact that none of those are the most popular sports event in the world and the super bowl is?
Well actually the World Cup and rival Cricket games, eg: India vs. Pakistan, are more popular than the Super Bowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Building a new stadium in hopes of getting the super bowl is the dumbest idea currently floating around in this state.

Not really IMO

Whenever the city gets a soccer team cant they play at the new stadium?

Old 03-28-2012, 03:53 PM

425 posts, read 1,751,448 times
We will always be an also-ran with this line of thinking imo. With the recent SEC expansion, there is a lot of chatter about moving the SECCG to Dallas, or at least explore into rotating venues. And when we do build something on the scale of the cowboys stadium, what do you think Dallas is going to do? sit idle?

chick-fil-a bowl, while wildly successful and rapidly rising in prestige, it is still considered a 3rd tier bowl. Should Atlantans settle for a 3rd tier bowl venue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Blank is the billionaire, not the city of Atlanta or the State of Georgia. The Dome is perfectly fine, who cares about hosting a Super Bowl, when we host the SEC Championship Game football and basketball, Chick-fil-a Bowl, and Chick-fil-a Kick off Game?

Old 03-29-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
We will always be an also-ran with this line of thinking imo. With the recent SEC expansion, there is a lot of chatter about moving the SECCG to Dallas, or at least explore into rotating venues. And when we do build something on the scale of the cowboys stadium, what do you think Dallas is going to do? sit idle?

chick-fil-a bowl, while wildly successful and rapidly rising in prestige, it is still considered a 3rd tier bowl. Should Atlantans settle for a 3rd tier bowl venue?
The citizens of Arlington spent hundreds of millions on the new stadium and the only event in return is 1 Super Bowl. To me that's not worth the money. And even if the SEC championship game rotates, the ACC championship will come to Atlanta also. Not to mention the 2013 Final Four will be in the Dome.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:59 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,338,889 times
Quote:
The citizens of Arlington spent hundreds of millions on the new stadium and the only event in return is 1 Super Bowl. To me that's not worth the money. And even if the SEC championship game rotates, the ACC championship will come to Atlanta also. Not to mention the 2013 Final Four will be in the Dome.
I'm not going to evaluate the economic impact of the project and the tax benefits because I don't have enough data to run analysis on the region's ROI for the project, but I can say that your statement is absolutely false.

The event is home to several big college football matchups a year (Cowboy Kickoff, BIG 12 Championship games, Southwest Classic) and I would be surprised that in the upcoming BCS shuffle if they don't get a BCS game. The stadium has also held boxing matchups, big basketball games (including the upcoming 2014 NCAA Final Four), NBA All Star game drawing a crowd of over 100,000 people, exhibition soccer matches and large concerts drawing 60,000+ people. I also expect the Super Bowl to find its way into the rotation with Miami, San Diego and New Orleans for future Super Bowls despite the bad weather experience in 2011.

Again cqholt, don't let hyperbole get in the way of the facts

Old 03-29-2012, 07:53 AM

It is still completely unfair for billionaires, like Jerry Jones and Arthur Blank, to ask citizens to help pay for a stadium when the owner will reap all the ticket sales, parking revenue, and concession sales.
Quote:
Again cqholt, don't let hyperbole get in the way of the facts
Is that the new bowl game coming to Cowboys Stadium?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:55 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,338,889 times
Quote:
It is still completely unfair for billionaires, like Jerry Jones and Arthur Blank, to ask citizens to help pay for a stadium when the owner will reap all the ticket sales, parking revenue, and concession sales.

Is that the new bowl game coming to Cowboys Stadium?
I'm not going to say it is right or wrong, but how many hotel rooms, restaurant meals, rental cars, etc are purchased because of the Stadium's presence? How many people are employed because of the stadium's economic impact? Surely more than just Jerry Jones is getting the benefits of the stadium. I'm not saying the benefits = the cost as I don't have a reliable study on the number of jobs created, but I'm sure it is significant to Arlington (especially since the stadium was previously located 16 miles away in Irving). Again you use more hyperbole which weakens your argument's credibility.

The Cotton Bowl is currently played in Jerry World. I expect this game will be elevated to BCS level in the next BCS negotiations.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:03 AM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times
How does the older superdome in new Orleans keep getting super bowls?

Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,228,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
I'm not going to say it is right or wrong, but how many hotel rooms, restaurant meals, rental cars, etc are purchased because of the Stadium's presence? How many people are employed because of the stadium's economic impact? Surely more than just Jerry Jones is getting the benefits of the stadium. I'm not saying the benefits = the cost as I don't have a reliable study on the number of jobs created, but I'm sure it is significant to Arlington (especially since the stadium was previously located 16 miles away in Irving). Again you use more hyperbole which weakens your argument's credibility.

The Cotton Bowl is currently played in Jerry World. I expect this game will be elevated to BCS level in the next BCS negotiations.
In no way can any of what you said be used as an argument for a new Falcons stadium.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
How does the older superdome in new Orleans keep getting super bowls?
A hugely expensive remodel. But the same thing can be done at the Dome for a fraction of the cost of a new stadium plus retractable roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta