Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 12:53 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,974,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
The 2010 Census declared that the Atlanta metro area saw the largest growth in size between 2000 and 2010. The amount of land grabbed up for low-density development is appalling, 683 square miles in 10 years. It is time for the Atlanta region to put growth limits before all the land concrete.
America's Growing Urban Footprint - Neighborhoods - The Atlantic Cities
How would you propose that be done? Wouldn't that have to be accomplished at the state level, since no "regional" authority exists?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 01:30 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times
I've said it before, and I'll say it again- not everyone wants to live in a high-density area, or in a 50+ y/o house in one of trendy ITP areas. If, by some chance, they did, you couldn't stuff the entire metro population area into the smaller area anyway, so you'd drive people out of the metro, thereby decreasing the population and decreasing Atlanta's potential. Everyone loves the business that brought all the OTP'ers here, but likes to whine about the "sprawl"- you can't have it both ways.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:47 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
How would you propose that be done? Wouldn't that have to be accomplished at the state level, since no "regional" authority exists?
The Atlanta Regional Commission has the ability, but that would be political suicide.
Quote:
I've said it before, and I'll say it again- not everyone wants to live in a high-density area, or in a 50+ y/o house in one of trendy ITP areas. If, by some chance, they did, you couldn't stuff the entire metro population area into the smaller area anyway, so you'd drive people out of the metro, thereby decreasing the population and decreasing Atlanta's potential. Everyone loves the business that brought all the OTP'ers here, but likes to whine about the "sprawl"- you can't have it both ways.
Transit Oriented Development is the answer to your post. Centralize medium development around transit stations and lower the density the farther away from the station. A person could stop and get grocery after getting off a train before reaching the car. Centralize commercial development around transit stations and this will solve the last mile issue for commuters.

Old 03-28-2012, 01:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,269,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Transit Oriented Development is the answer to your post. Centralize medium development around transit stations and lower the density the farther away from the station. A person could stop and get grocery after getting off a train before reaching the car. Centralize commercial development around transit stations and this will solve the last mile issue for commuters.
This presumes that you have the transit in place to make this possible, which obviously isn't the case in most of the Atlanta metro, and won't be for many, many years. Besides, not everyone works within walking distance of a transit station, so unless you have a decent system in place at the "work" end, you can have as many transit stations on the "live" end as you like, and it still doesn't pan out. This isn't NYC, where you're never more than about 3 blocks from a subway station.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:03 PM

It just a solution to the problem so not everyone has to live in a high density area, just concentrate commercial development and higher density apartments at the TOD, while having single family homes spread out from the developments. This will hopefully limit the amount of half-shuttered, low density strip malls and preserve more open green space.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:19 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Buckhead within the city limits of the core city is one of the least dense areas of the metro area.
I don't know about that.

The older single family neighborhoods up there are about the same density as say, Grant Park, Reynoldstown, Decatur, Morningside, Kirkwood, Oakhurst, etc.

All of those areas are considerably more dense than much of the south and west side of town.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I don't know about that.
There are some huge homes with large lots on Mt. Paran Rd and Peachtree-Dunwoody Rd. That would make an area less dense.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Just sit back, relax, and watch what happens.

You may not understand why someone would commute 80 miles. Someone who does that may not understand how someone can live in a shoebox in the city.

Whatever.

My pont is, we do not need any regulations dictating growth. It will happen organically as market conditions dictate.

I have much more faith in the invisible hand than I do Atlanta's legislative leadership.
You're not exactly making an apples to apples comparison. My problem with people having 80 mile commutes isn't about where or how they live (it's a free country, do what you want) but rather that 40 mile distance between work and home as well as the related infrastructure we all need to live like grocery stores that has people joined at their automobile.

Why? It's because in the time it takes a person to make that hypothetical commute I can do all of the following on a typical day before they even get to their door step:

-Leave my office
-Pick up dinner
-Eat dinner and spend time chatting with family or friends
-Walk the 1 block to the gym i go

If that sounds like an extremely example, a very large amount of people take that much time out of their day every day just to get to and from where they live. That to me is a serious degradation of quality of life.

Also, be clear I'm talking against the exurban experience and NOT an urban living experience versus a suburban living experience. Traditional suburban living isn't as bad as a lot of urbanphiles make it out to be, and many of the same lifestyle choices you can find in any big city can be duplicated in any close in suburb (unfortunately, a lot of people have their hip firmly attached to their car when they don't need to in those situations). I would never live OTP, but that's based on a personal choice rather than a hate for OTP.

Spare me the "telling people how to live", "trendy city living", and "living in a shoebox" (my condo now is bigger than the house I grew up in) pseudo arguments.

Exurban living is unsustainable over the long run. All the data suggests it and before people realize it, they wont be able to do it any more.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
Quote:
Spare me the "telling people how to live", "trendy city living", and "living in a shoebox" (my condo now is bigger than the house I grew up in) pseudo arguments.
But you are, in fact, telling people how to live when you say:

Quote:
a very large amount of people take that much time out of their day every day just to get to and from where they live. That to me is a serious degradation of quality of life..
So what? It's a degradation to their lives, not to yours. Why do you care so much?

Quote:
Exurban living is unsustainable over the long run. All the data suggests it and before people realize it, they wont be able to do it any more.
So? If this is correct, then the problem will correct itself organically. If you think it's so unsustainable, just sit back in your easy chair and watch it degrade.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM

16,627 posts, read 29,293,919 times
For the sake of discussion/understanding/clarity, I would like to see people give their opinions on what they would classify in Metro Atlanta as:

1. Urban
2. Suburban
3. Exurban.

Furthermore, suburban could be broken down into inner, middle, and outer. And--outer suburb and exurb could be seen as one and the same.

The poster Stars and Strips Forever wrote a fabulous post a while back the perfectly outlined urban, suburban, and exurban Metro Atlanta (including sub-categories), but I can't find it at this time.

Thoughts/Opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta