Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 12:17 PM

823 posts, read 2,210,560 times

Advertisements

I see Logan vs Atlanta breaking down like this...

Make a train connection since the Boston subway line that goes near the airport does not serve central Boston.

Then wait for a bus that may or may not come soon and wait for it to stop at the terminal I need.

vs

Take a train directly to inside of the airport. No transfers, no waiting, no being outside.

From there it is a short walk to the check in counters and the several (there are more than one folks) security checkpoints at either airport.

I am also shocked that anyone could say JFK is easier than ATL. Try making an inter-terminal (something realistic like from Terminal 1 - BA to terminal 8 - AA) connection at JFK. Now try making an inter-concourse connection in ATL. Which one is easier?

I don't know how many International trips you make, but when you return to the US (unless you are on a flight that has pre-clearance) you need to go through security to go back to the terminal. If that city is your final destination you don't and that will be true of ATL soon enough.

I much prefer Hartsfield to any of the NYC airports. By a large margin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,306,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
I see Logan vs Atlanta breaking down like this...

Make a train connection since the Boston subway line that goes near the airport does not serve central Boston.

Then wait for a bus that may or may not come soon and wait for it to stop at the terminal I need.

vs

Take a train directly to inside of the airport. No transfers, no waiting, no being outside.

From there it is a short walk to the check in counters and the several (there are more than one folks) security checkpoints at either airport.

I am also shocked that anyone could say JFK is easier than ATL. Try making an inter-terminal (something realistic like from Terminal 1 - BA to terminal 8 - AA) connection at JFK. Now try making an inter-concourse connection in ATL. Which one is easier?

I don't know how many International trips you make, but when you return to the US (unless you are on a flight that has pre-clearance) you need to go through security to go back to the terminal. If that city is your final destination you don't and that will be true of ATL soon enough.

I much prefer Hartsfield to any of the NYC airports. By a large margin.

Spot on.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,095,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
If we combined several skyscrapers in Atlanta they would be bigger than the empire state building.
Then NYC gets to combine its skyscrapers to see who's taller.

Quote:
If we combined the ga dome and Phillips arena it would be.larger than the cowboys stadium
So Dallas gets to throw in American Airlines Center.

Old 03-29-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Hartsfield is like a machine, it basically runs itself.
What major airport doesn't?

Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
"No other city this size in the country has only one airport."

1. Philadelphia
2. Detroit
3. Boston

Hello?

I'd rather have ONE BIG AIRPORT that's the BEST in the ENTIRE WORLD for what it offers, than multiple airports with multiple issues.
But in rankings of "best" airports, I don't think Atlanta makes the list. But to its credit, it doesn't make the "worst" lists either.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM

According to Conde Nast

Business Travel Poll: Condé Nast Traveler's Top Airlines & Hotel Brands : Expert Travel Tips : Conde Nast Traveler

1. Portland Ore
2. DC Reagan
3. Tampa
4. Orlando
5. San Diego
6. Las Vegas (McCarran)
7. Pittsburgh
8. Seattle-Tacoma
9. Salt Lake City
10. Detroit

http://www.cntraveler.com/travel-tip...c_airports.gif

Old 03-29-2012, 02:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,990,938 times
They should change our airport name to the worlds best international airport atl

Old 03-29-2012, 02:40 PM

425 posts, read 1,751,448 times
Not possible with that corny "we are the world" mural, and that horrible north terminal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
They should change our airport name to the worlds best international airport atl

Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM

3,698 posts, read 5,948,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
According to Conde Nast

Business Travel Poll: Condé Nast Traveler's Top Airlines & Hotel Brands : Expert Travel Tips : Conde Nast Traveler

1. Portland Ore
2. DC Reagan
3. Tampa
4. Orlando
5. San Diego
6. Las Vegas (McCarran)
7. Pittsburgh
8. Seattle-Tacoma
9. Salt Lake City
10. Detroit

http://www.cntraveler.com/travel-tip...c_airports.gif
Yeah, those are beautiful airports with really nice finishes, amenities, and, in cases, some great architecture. That's not really Atlanta's gameplan.

Most of those aren't major hubs--for instance, Tampa has four separate pods with a tram connecting each to the central concourse. Each pod has its own security checkpoint. Great for O+D traffic, very bad for connections--many/most passengers would have to exit security to get to their next flight.

A lot of those are very high O+D airports, but lower on the connections. Atlanta is way lower in O+D in comparison, but very high in connections. We first and foremost need a way to get from any one gate in ATL to any other gate pretty easily. It's not that critical that we wow tourists arriving on vacation--far more important to get them to their connecting gate and on their way. And Atlanta does that exceedingly well: we've got a couple hundred gates, each of which are accessible within an easy ten minutes or so of one another.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:06 PM

43 posts, read 90,218 times
Unfortunately, one area where I would have to rank Hartsfield dead last is when it come to airport employees. This is especially true if you have worked in an airport position yourself, as the badge and fingerprinting offices have some of rudest and unpleasant workers I have ever encountered. I remember once a few years ago I needed to have my fingerprints taken to renew my badge and I showed up at least a half hour prior to when the fingerprinting office was scheduled to close. The employee at the office (a 6ft+ tall woman with a Moe Howard haircut) said "Office is closed! I am going to go home!" When I mentioned that there was still a half hour until closing and that this was my one opportunity in the week to get the fingerprinting done, she became even more confrontational until I finally gave up and left. Most of my experiences with employees at Hartsfield have either involved the employee becoming confrontational (on a power trip), yacking with other employees about heading to the strip club after work while their back is pointed towards me, or giving me inaccurate information because they did not know the answer and did not want to look up the answer. I also rarely see most employees at Hartsfield smile or otherwise find some way to acknowledge me when I ask for their assistance (it's like most would rather not be bothered to do their own job).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta