U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,728 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I'm looking to relocate to Atlanta this July and am sincerely hopeful about getting a teaching job. I've applied in Atlanta, DeKalb, Clayton, and Cobb for secondary social studies positions. I've got three years experience and a MA educator license.

Since all these counties create applicant pools, I am not sure of what the actual demand for teachers is. Can anyone speak to this and/or the general hiring process with any of these districts? Any and all tips/tidbits are appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 12:18 AM

74 posts, read 155,340 times
don't forget that we have some independent systems down here too. city of marietta (cobb) and city of decatur (dekalb). i would suggest you also include Gwinnett Co, largest system in the state. within gwinnett there is the city of buford system. good luck.

Old 03-29-2012, 03:32 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,069,721 times
Teaching jobs are very hard to find here. Don't expect that you will be able to be choosy. Gwinnett just announced that they are increasing class sizes next year, resulting in a net loss of teaching positions. Expect most of the systems to do the same, even if they don't publicize it. In APS, the cheating issues were at the elementary and middle level, so it is possible as the hearings progress there may be openings at the middle school level.

You need to cast a wider net. Look at all the metro systems.

There will be some teachers hired. A lot will come down to luck, finding a position.

Are you ok with challenging schools? If not, you might want to reconsider your plan to locate here. The more challenging schools will have the most openings.

The state is allowing school systems to present their budgets very late this year, so most systems haven't offered current teachers' contracts yet.

If you do move without a job, consider temporary housing as you will want to live close to work.

Last edited by lastminutemom; 03-29-2012 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-29-2012, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,728 times
Thanks to both of you. I did just apply to Gwinnett for a political science position. There are not many applicant pools in Gwinnett, reinforcing Lastminutemom's comment about decreasing teaching positions.

The plan to relocate to Atlanta is to be closer to my family. That schools are challenging does not bother me. I enjoy the challenge and find the rewards are greater for both teachers and students.

When you say all the metro systems do you mean charter and private schools?

My main concern is being so far away, I'm not able to manipulate luck in my normal fashion (visit schools, personally drop off resumes to principals, make the job fair rounds). Has anyone had the experience of being hired in Georgia with out of state licensure and/or searching under similar circumstances?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:06 PM

3,972 posts, read 11,069,721 times
In this market, getting hired for a not high demand field from out of state is going to be hard. You probably need to watch for job fairs (if any systems are having them) and come into Atlanta to attend. You also need to check with the GA PSC to make sure your license transfers. School systems, for fields other than math, science and special ed, aren't willing to and don't need to jump through hoops right now.

These are just some of the public school systems that are in metro Atlanta

Atlanta City Public Schools
Fulton County Public Schools
Decatur City (tiny) Schools
Dekalb County Schools
Clayton County
Cobb County
Gwinnett County
Buford City Schools
Rockdale County
Douiglas County
Henry County
Fayette County
Forsyth County

Metro Atlanta is actually comprised of 18 counties, which if you include the city systems, is about 21 school systems. You will need to research each of them.

Casting your net wide and deep is about your only option and I think it is going to be tough.

Atlanta Schools is starting to dismiss the teachers caught up in the cheating scandal and there may be some openings that result from that, though they haven't been in the classroom this year and may have already been replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or