U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:55 PM

1,209 posts, read 3,495,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
FromGA,
The average home in Johns Creek is built in 1994. I think this is one of the reason why new homes are more in demand. Ten years from now a home with a Johns Creek address built in the 2010 - 2012 will be more desirable than a home built in the 90s.

Even if you look at the homes in Sugarloaf built in 2000 - 2002, you will notice that the interior of the homes start to look dated. One of the benefits of new construction is that you can design the upgrades according to your taste for a more modern look so that it will not look dated 10 years from now.

This is one of the reasons why i have only bought new homes. Amoing all the builders, I think John Wieland is the most modern in terms of interior design. i think they get a lot of their staging ideas and options from what i have seen in new California homes. Among the survivers: Peach Tree Res, Ashton Woods, and John Wieldand... I think Johns Wieland is the best.

Old Taylor Farms is also a John Wieland subdivision.
If the new subdivision is without swim, tennis, .. amentiies (as much of the new 2012 subdivisions might end up being), it is highly debatable whether they are more valuable than a resale with good ameities. I think you would agree that this point is worthy of debate.

Also, I have seen you mention Old Taylor as an example of million dollar homes. Question is what, if any, has sold in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 10:08 PM

955 posts, read 2,861,298 times
In the city of Johns Creek, it is debatable as the lower priced new construction seem to be built on smaller piece of land around older homes. St Amour, Preserve, and Highlands is a good example of this. I find the newer swim / tennis subdivisions to be nicer in Suwanee and Duluth. I think it is because that land is becoming more scarce in Johns Creek and starting to get more expensive.

Regarding Old Taylor Farms, there hasn't been any sale in the last year. I don't think the Johns Creek home market is ready for brand new million dollar homes yet. I will assure you that any new home subdivisions surrounding Travistock and Old Taylor Farms will start selling at premium prices. I highly doubt you will see any new home subdivision in that area in the $300s or $400s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
If the new subdivision is without swim, tennis, .. amentiies (as much of the new 2012 subdivisions might end up being), it is highly debatable whether they are more valuable than a resale with good ameities. I think you would agree that this point is worthy of debate.

Also, I have seen you mention Old Taylor as an example of million dollar homes. Question is what, if any, has sold in there.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Irvine - Demographics

WannaBeinBoston,

In 1990, Irvine ethnic demographics looked like this:
white 68.8%, black 1.8%, Asian, 22.1%, hispanic 6.8% - 1990
white 61.1% black 1.4% Asian 29.8%, hispanic 7.4% - 2000

In 2010, Johns Creek's ethnic demographics looks like this:
white 63.45% black 8.8% Asian 23.36%, hispanic: 5%

Johns Creek's Asian population grew from 13% to 23% within 3 years period of time.

All of Johns Creek High Schools are among the best of Georgia:
Northview, JC High, and Chattahoochee

All of Irvine High Schools are among the best of California:
Uni high, Northwood, Woodbridge, and Irvine High

You see the similarities...? Johns Creek is "Baby Irvine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
OP, depending on what field your husband is in may help determine where you locate...proximity to job centers, etc. Tech jobs, I can certainly see in Alpharetta, Johns Creek and Dunwoody. All else seems to be midtown/downtown. We're fairly new to ATL but lived in So. CA for many many year. Alpharetta/Johns Creek seems to be like Irvine but newer and nicer. Intown living is like living near/around Old Town Pasadena.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:55 AM

34 posts, read 70,041 times
Mr. Panda, or anyone else. Which schools are zoned for The Gates? During my visit a few months back, I met an Indian family who just closed on a home in The Gates.

We don't like subdivisions/HOAs but I understand why they exist. We are torn between wanting a swim/tennis community for the kids, but don't like the process of making changes/gaining approval from a board.

We don't have to have a brand new home as we have particular tastes and prefer to make our own upgrades. I do understand structural touches such as coffered ceilings and wainscoting. An upgraded kitchen is also nice. I also prefer a house without carpeting. I notice most homes in JC have them, especially for the second floor. We would just pull it up regardless if it was new. But, like I said, we can make these changes ourselves once we purchase.

So, hopefully after a year of renting we'll find something in JC for less than $400K. No rush.

I loved the look of the homes on Buice Road. They're very contemporary, but I know the kids would feel a bit isolated. I believe those homes are zoned for State Bridge and Dolvin; both good schools from what I've heard.

For a subdivision, Seven Oaks looks nice and several people have told me they enjoy living there. I also liked The Cambridge. Anyone have any thoughts on these subdivisions?

Bearwithme

Old 03-30-2012, 09:05 AM

1,209 posts, read 3,495,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
Mr. Panda, or anyone else. Which schools are zoned for The Gates? During my visit a few months back, I met an Indian family who just closed on a home in The Gates.

We don't like subdivisions/HOAs but I understand why they exist. We are torn between wanting a swim/tennis community for the kids, but don't like the process of making changes/gaining approval from a board.

We don't have to have a brand new home as we have particular tastes and prefer to make our own upgrades. I do understand structural touches such as coffered ceilings and wainscoting. An upgraded kitchen is also nice. I also prefer a house without carpeting. I notice most homes in JC have them, especially for the second floor. We would just pull it up regardless if it was new. But, like I said, we can make these changes ourselves once we purchase.

So, hopefully after a year of renting we'll find something in JC for less than $400K. No rush.

I loved the look of the homes on Buice Road. They're very contemporary, but I know the kids would feel a bit isolated. I believe those homes are zoned for State Bridge and Dolvin; both good schools from what I've heard.

For a subdivision, Seven Oaks looks nice and several people have told me they enjoy living there. I also liked The Cambridge. Anyone have any thoughts on these subdivisions?

Bearwithme
Majority of homes around here are subdivision, so your choice is pretty much made for you.

Gates is Shakerag elem, Rivertrail, Northview. Gates probably appeals to certain Indian families with limited experiences in the US (that is my stereotype for that subdivision).

My advice to you is not to get too attached to any particular elem/middle/high. I would even look in Alpharetta closer to 400 if I was moving to the area today. Lake Windward is a huge subdivision with tons of amenities and all price ranges closer to GA 400.

If I were in your situation, and sure that I wanted to move to Atlanta metro -- is to get a Homewood Suites type place over the summer break in JC/Alpharetta, and do your due diligence from here.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:06 AM

616 posts, read 907,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Even if you look at the homes in Sugarloaf built in 2000 - 2002, you will notice that the interior of the homes start to look dated. One of the benefits of new construction is that you can design the upgrades according to your taste for a more modern look so that it will not look dated 10 years from now.

That is some odd logic. You do realize that the homes in Sugarloaf were new construction in 2000-2002 right? They are dated because they are 10 years old now. Why would a new home today not look just as dated in 10 years?

Old 03-30-2012, 09:35 AM

10 feet,
I've toured a lot of new homes in LA and South Orange county. In terms of design, trend, and layout I notice that new homes in Georgia are somewhat behind in terms of the latest trend.

In 2022, I would think that buyers would preferr a home built in 2012 over home bulit in 1994 in johns Creek. That is the only point i am trying to make. When we purchased a new home back in June 2011, we picked our upgrades to have a modern southern california new home look with the future buyer in mind in 2022.

While other builders in GA seem to copy each other in terms of their recycled old style southern floor plans.. John wieland is one of those unique builders who is innovative in this market. Sometimes I wonder if he takes the ideas from California and bring them here to Georgia. Many builders in GA are mediocre at best in terms of quality and floor plan. I really like Johns Wieland homes.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:49 AM

329 posts, read 522,916 times
what are the latest trends in design, layout, finishing touches, etc?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:06 AM

Vince,
try looking at some of model homes by John Wieland. They have Weston right off of McGinnis Ferry, Old Taylor Farms in Johns Creek, and Stone Haven in Sugarloaf in Duluth ( swim/tennis/ gated / my favorite)

Most of the old style layout is an open ceiling from 1st to 2nd floor. More homes in Georiga are now starting to close the ceiling for more liveable space on the second floor. Peachtree Res and Harcrest literally recycles the same open second floor plan for their flagship floorplan: Preston and Brunswick. A lot the new homes still don't offer Coffered ceilings as an option if you can believe that. California room/Sunroom is a another trend adjacent to the kitchen which is now hot. No knobs in cabinets with vertical or horizontal bars for a more modern look. 1st floor Master is also another trend I am seeing.

Just take a look at the model of Stonehaven in Sugarloaf in Duluth by JW, you'll know what i am talking about. When we got our lighting selection from Peachtree we thought the lighting selection they gave us was a complete joke. The lightings they had in the show room were so old style Georigian I don't know how to put into words. We custom ordered all of our lightings and fixures and didn't use any from the show room.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:24 AM

230 posts, read 407,591 times
Also, masters on main have been around for sometime, but it now seems standard on most new homes I have seen. I agree Mr. Panda, their quality is above that of most of their competitors. Here's a link for a JW community a couple of minutes from where we live.

removed - sorry, you need an established posting history here before you can post links, urls, etc.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 03-30-2012 at 09:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or