U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:33 AM

953 posts, read 2,776,794 times

Advertisements

Thanks Chalvey,

Just think like this: New homes in Altanta is like 10 years behind new homes in southern california in terms of trend, floorplan, etc. Buying a home a 2004 built home in Sugarloaf or CC of the South is like buying a home in Irvine, California built in 1994 in terms of trend. That is why I am big advocate for buying new homes and making your home look as modern as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM

34 posts, read 67,974 times
MrPanda,

If I win the $640 Mega Millions, I'm going to buy you your house of choice in Irvine, California just so you're not talking about it anymore. LOL

P.S. I'm joking. I love to read your posts.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:40 PM

1,986 posts, read 3,349,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme View Post
We don't like subdivisions/HOAs but I understand why they exist. We are torn between wanting a swim/tennis community for the kids, but don't like the process of making changes/gaining approval from a board.
Most HOA boards are very reasonable when it comes to change approval. There are horror stories of neighborhood nosy nannies, but the vast majority of HOAs are easy to work with, provided you aren't asking for anything too outlandish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearwithme
For a subdivision, Seven Oaks looks nice and several people have told me they enjoy living there. I also liked The Cambridge. Anyone have any thoughts on these subdivisions?
Seven Oaks is about 4 times the size of Cambridge with the same size pool. Think about that.

We lived in Cambridge for 13 years and it was a very nice neighborhood with good amenities, an active HOA but not an overbearing one. But, as mrpanda has pointed out several times, the houses were built in the 90s and mostly still have that 90s style. You will probably want to renovate and upgrade at some point. Last I heard it was redistricted for Chattahoochee (which makes no sense as that's a much further drive than Northview).

Old 03-30-2012, 05:53 PM

Three High schools clusters make up the city of Johns Creek.

1. Northview HS - Brown
2. Chattahoochee - Red
3. Johns Creek HS - Blue

4. Lambert HS - Although Lambert HS is not part of the city of Johns Creek, I will be tracking homes in this area as well. Lambert HS cluster is within Forsyth County, the 6th fastest county in the country. I believe county also competes with Cobb County as the wealthiest county in Georgia. The Lambert HS cluster sits right above Northview HS.

Why include Lambert HS cluster here?
6 elementary schools within the Lambert cluster rank in the top 10 among 1097 elementary schools in Georgia. Sharon Elementary ranks #2
RiverWatch Middle schools ranks #3 in the state beating out RiverTrail Middle school (Northview cluster)
Lambert HS is an up and coming high school which will rival Northview in the next 10 years.
Property taxes within Lambert are among the cheapest in GA at under 1%.

What i have observed living in GA is that schools drive real estate demand. This is the reason why i analyze real estate data from a school cluster prospective. Chattahoocee, Northview, and Johns Creek will cover all the homes with the city limits of Johns Creek.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-30-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 07:11 PM

YOY sales Median home price School Cluster
404 $349,900 Lambert
174 $303,500 Northview
310 $220,000 Chattahoochee
263 $439,750 Johns Creek HS

Median home price of Johns Creek is $321,083. Don't trust zilllow. Trust Mr. Panda as I am getting this raw data directly from the MLS.

To my suprise, the median home price in JCHS is much higher than that of Northview, so i was wrong thinking that Johns Creek, 30097 is the most expensive zip code within its city limits. The sales volume is the highest YOY within the Lambert school cluster. This would make sense as property taxes are lower and homes are about 10 years younger than Johns Creek. Also St. Ives CC used be Northview, but was recently rezoned to JCHS which makes the median home price to drop in Northview and higher in JCHS. Both St Ives and Country Club of the South are within the JCHS school cluster. Northview doesn't seem to have any Country Club subdivisions with its cluster. Lambert captures both St. Marlo Country Club and Laurel Springs, thus a median home price than Northview. Chattahoochee seems to have the lowest median home prices in Johns Creek.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-30-2012 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,308,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 feet tall View Post
That is some odd logic. You do realize that the homes in Sugarloaf were new construction in 2000-2002 right? They are dated because they are 10 years old now. Why would a new home today not look just as dated in 10 years?
Best thing in this thread!! In the suburbs the houses tend to be more trendy then they are in the classic Atlanta neighborhoods(think Ansley Park, Druid Hills, VA Highlands, Buckhead). Just look at how differently a new money suburb house is decorated compared with the classic old money house. In general a home that is 20 years old a lot of the time is actually more updated since renovations are normally done at the 15 year point.

Drive through Sugarloaf CC and you can really tell when each one was built. Right now the big suburban trend is a faux rustic look I guess you could call it.

There was a house in Country Club of the South on Wellington Rd that sold for 3.4 million and it was built in 1993. It was renovated and more up to date then many of the homes built later in CCOS.

Also first floor master bedrooms have been common in Georgia for a long time. When I came down here in the 80's they were common. California's mass produced suburbia is not ahead of Georgia's it is all the same. A tract house is a tract house where ever you put it. Also modern fixtures do not always hold up better over time. Look at how the big designers based in Buckhead decorate it is way different then what you see in Sugarloaf, St. Marlo, etc. And look at how much better the in town home values have held up.

Lambert High is in Forsyth County which is not Johns Creek and it will never be since Johns Creek is an incorporated community in Fulton County. People can live in S. Forsyth and think all they want that they live in Johns Creek but they do not.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:00 PM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Best thing in this thread!! In the suburbs the houses tend to be more trendy then they are in the classic Atlanta neighborhoods(think Ansley Park, Druid Hills, VA Highlands, Buckhead). Just look at how differently a new money suburb house is decorated compared with the classic old money house. In general a home that is 20 years old a lot of the time is actually more updated since renovations are normally done at the 15 year point.

Drive through Sugarloaf CC and you can really tell when each one was built. Right now the big suburban trend is a faux rustic look I guess you could call it.

There was a house in Country Club of the South on Wellington Rd that sold for 3.4 million and it was built in 1993. It was renovated and more up to date then many of the homes built later in CCOS.

Also first floor master bedrooms have been common in Georgia for a long time. When I came down here in the 80's they were common. California's mass produced suburbia is not ahead of Georgia's it is all the same. A tract house is a tract house where ever you put it. Also modern fixtures do not always hold up better over time. Look at how the big designers based in Buckhead decorate it is way different then what you see in Sugarloaf, St. Marlo, etc. And look at how much better the in town home values have held up.

Lambert High is in Forsyth County which is not Johns Creek and it will never be since Johns Creek is an incorporated community in Fulton County. People can live in S. Forsyth and think all they want that they live in Johns Creek but they do not.

Good post.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:01 PM

12,906 posts, read 20,980,594 times
Centennial High (a great school) also serves part of Johns Creek, Georgia.

Johns Creek, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-30-2012, 08:10 PM

455 posts, read 966,828 times
I live in south Forsyth in the lambert school district and don't think I live in johns creek and won't ever think I live in johns creek. If I wanted to live in johns creek I would. This forum is so hell bent on saying one part of the area is better than another. I have said it before and I will say it again, we all choose to live where we want to live and no place is better for you than where you choose to live. Johns creek is great- not saying it isn't but it didn't have what we were looking for (a newer golf community) so we ended up in south forsyth.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:30 PM

You guys... please let's stay on topic here. This is not a thread of Johns Creek vs. S. Forsyth. I am only tracking the real estate in school clusters that are of my interest which are these four high school clusters. Otherwise I would have included S. Forsyth High and the other forsyth schools. I am only tracking Lambert HS here and clearly I am not saying that Lambert HS is part of Johns Creek, nor am I saying that Johns Creek is better than S. Forsyth. In terms of real estate prices, median home prices in Lambert HS is higher than that of Northview HS cluster.

I have particular interest in the city of Johns Creek as there are so much similarities to what Irvine, California used to look like in the early 1990s. One clear trend that i see is that we will see more and more white families who currently live in Johns Creek will continue to migrate north into Forsyth County in the years ahead as the asian population continues to boom in JC.

Last edited by mrpanda; 03-30-2012 at 09:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or