U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2012, 03:27 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,357,102 times

Advertisements

I guess Reuben Lack will not be the student body president! I find this case to be appalling. It is so pitiful that a student is suing a school for such an minor issue. The student was clearly removed as student body president for not being a good leader, and not because he was promoting "equality." This case is the typical frivolous lawsuit we see nowadays. Lawyers should not be able to work on contingency in my opinion.

Alpharetta student loses court bid over prom dispute *| ajc.com

For people who have not been keeping track of this case this is a summary:
Reuben Lack is the student body president of Alpharetta High School, and he was removed from office by the administration. He claims to of been removed because he wanted to allow gays and lesbians equal roles in Prom King & Queen. The school says he was a poor leader and most students it appears have taken the schools side. However this was a nonissue because at AHS they elect a boy for King and girl for Queen(who are not always dating and could be LGBT, it is not by couple). Now he is suing to get reinstated as president and for money because of the "emotional distress" . What I see in this case is a money hungry father who probably wants money for next year to pay for one of the expensive colleges Reuben wants to go. The lawyer in this case, James Radford, has acted in such an immature manner. He posted tweets from other students at the school on his website. The father then posted comments through his Facebook account(so it is definitely him writing them) on other websites referring to these students with childish names you could say. When I saw this case I ran the fathers name through the Fulton Clerk, Nathaniel Lack, and found out his ex wife has filed violence charges against him twice and had a restraining order against him. I figured the father was immature. LGBT groups should be mad at Reuben for using them to gain attention. They have been supporting him because much of the media has made it appear as if you vote for a couple for Prom King & Queen, but you vote for one boy and one girl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 AM

3,521 posts, read 4,260,959 times
Maybe Mr. Reuben Lack was trying to gain some attention for himself, but he still should have had the right to face his accusers in court. Heck, at the very least the students at his high school should have been given the opportunity to do a recall vote on him if his presidency was truly lackluster and irresponsible. In this way the students of Alpharetta High School would get to witness a real life lesson in how Georgia and America's court system and the ballot box works.

Unfortunately, the result from this situation serves as simply one more example of how the conservative-minded in this state will simply bend the rules to suit their own tastes. I think that the court ruling no matter well-articulated the reasoning behind it, really teaches a bad lesson to the students of that high school. Because Reuben Lack, a senior was denied his right to defend himself.

In any other court of law(especially criminal court) Lack would have the right to face his accusers because assuming that he is 17 or 18, he would be recognized as an adult and treated as such. And yet, the Federal court system simply chose to sidestep Lack's right to his day in court and simply defer to the judgement of the Alpharetta High school staff. That kinda stinks of politics if you ask me.

A student of Alpharetta High school can very easily come away from this situation with the point-of-view that the ballot box and court of law means absolutely nothing...if you don't have the muscle and money to back up your particular views. I can only imagine that for those students who personally observed witness this whole situation that "Might makes right" will be only way they can see themselves living...not "Rule of law".

In other words, this situation will ensure the continuation of this insanely myopic viewpoint that America's political system is merely a zero-sum game where when you get your guy in office, he will load up all appointments(such as Federal judges) with political-minded cronies who will ensure that a particular way-of-life is enforced, rather than "rule of law".

Is that example what we adult Georgians should be teaching our young students?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I guess Reuben Lack will not be the student body president! I find this case to be appalling. It is so pitiful that a student is suing a school for such an minor issue. The student was clearly removed as student body president for not being a good leader, and not because he was promoting "equality." This case is the typical frivolous lawsuit we see nowadays. Lawyers should not be able to work on contingency in my opinion.

Alpharetta student loses court bid over prom dispute *| ajc.com

For people who have not been keeping track of this case this is a summary:
Reuben Lack is the student body president of Alpharetta High School, and he was removed from office by the administration. He claims to of been removed because he wanted to allow gays and lesbians equal roles in Prom King & Queen. The school says he was a poor leader and most students it appears have taken the schools side. However this was a nonissue because at AHS they elect a boy for King and girl for Queen(who are not always dating and could be LGBT, it is not by couple). Now he is suing to get reinstated as president and for money because of the "emotional distress" . What I see in this case is a money hungry father who probably wants money for next year to pay for one of the expensive colleges Reuben wants to go. The lawyer in this case, James Radford, has acted in such an immature manner. He posted tweets from other students at the school on his website. The father then posted comments through his Facebook account(so it is definitely him writing them) on other websites referring to these students with childish names you could say. When I saw this case I ran the fathers name through the Fulton Clerk, Nathaniel Lack, and found out his ex wife has filed violence charges against him twice and had a restraining order against him. I figured the father was immature. LGBT groups should be mad at Reuben for using them to gain attention. They have been supporting him because much of the media has made it appear as if you vote for a couple for Prom King & Queen, but you vote for one boy and one girl.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 03-31-2012 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: I have so much to say on this issue

Old 03-31-2012, 09:20 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,325,772 times
Time to get prom and all similar distractions out of public schools.

I don't think it's right that there's a title of "king" or "queen" awarded to anyone regardless of their sex or sexual preference.

If we want to teach students that all are truly equal, then you can't promote a monarchy! IF you want to have homecoming or prom that's one thing but the concept of a homecoming or prom king or queen needs to stay in the 15th century where it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or