Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 05:22 PM

924 posts, read 1,448,769 times

Advertisements

Bicycle projects are one of the reasons I am voting no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
A bicycle advocate's argument for the T-SPLOST

A bicycle advocate's argument for the T-SPLOST | Atlanta News & Opinion Blog | Fresh Loaf | Creative Loafing Atlanta

Look over the list of transportation projects to be funded by the T-SPLOST, which voters will decide on July 31, and you'll find plenty of road and transit projects. But there's plenty for bicyclists and pedestrians to be happy about as well, says Rebecca Serna, executive director of the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition. A significant portion of those road projects, particularly those proposed in the city of Atlanta, would meet Complete Streets criteria, which take into account pedestrians, bicyclists, public transportation, and cars. And the city's list of local projects to be funded with the tax would make 29 miles of city streets equipped with bike facilities — more than double what currently exists. She shines a light on some of the improvements that bicyclists would see with revenues from the transportation tax, which the coalition supports.

Bicycle projects are usually lumped into the “other” category — at least, that’s how it used to be, and, we often hear, that’s how it’s always been. Well, those assumptions no longer hold. The Complete Streets movement is gaining ground in unexpected territory — metro Atlanta, poster child for sprawl. Last year around this time, the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition was pushing for bike projects on the regional transportation sales tax project list. The final regional list approved by the Roundtable sets aside less than 1% of funding for stand-alone bike projects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 PM

969 posts, read 1,951,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
Bicycle projects are one of the reasons I am voting no.
That's unfortunate...

Old 07-25-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
That's unfortunate...
What do bicycle projects do to cut down on congestion and bring businesses here? Those are the stated goals of the TSPLOST. It certainly isn't the only reason and if I felt the rest of the projects were good ideas I would overlook the bike path/sidewalk projects and vote for it but it is full of terrible projects or taking too long for the actual important ones.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,985,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westau View Post
What do bicycle projects do to cut down on congestion and bring businesses here? Those are the stated goals of the TSPLOST. It certainly isn't the only reason and if I felt the rest of the projects were good ideas I would overlook the bike path/sidewalk projects and vote for it but it is full of terrible projects or taking too long for the actual important ones.
Where are you from?

I recommend you traveling to Toronto or New York before you answer this question

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 07-25-2012 at 08:38 PM..

Old 07-25-2012, 08:54 PM

Old 07-25-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

Where are you from?

I recommend you traveling to Toronto or New York before you answer this question
Grew up in Tennessee, lived in Asia for a couple years, lived in Alabama for college, and here for 5 years. Outside of the rare occasion you have to slow down to pass a slow bicyclist I don't see it cutting down on driving time. I am fine with making new roads or roads you are already widening just a bit wider for bicycle lanes but projects specifically just to add bicycle lanes to existing roads I think are a waste of money and certainly don't fall under the intended goal of the TSPLOST. Several of the projects are just random bike/pedestrian trails also and have even less to do with roads.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:54 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,706,379 times
Quote:
Grew up in Tennessee, lived in Asia for a couple years, lived in Alabama for college, and here for 5 years. Outside of the rare occasion you have to slow down to pass a slow bicyclist I don't see it cutting down on driving time. I am fine with making new roads or roads you are already widening just a bit wider for bicycle lanes but projects specifically just to add bicycle lanes to existing roads I think are a waste of money and certainly don't fall under the intended goal of the TSPLOST. Several of the projects are just random bike/pedestrian trails also and have even less to do with roads.
Most of the roads improvements on the list include bike lanes. I see several people riding bikes to work or to the MARTA station along Mt Vernon Rd in Dunwoody and Sandy Springs. That road is 2 lanes and gets backed up. So by taking 3-4 cars off that road it improves congestion and nobody ever slows down because the lanes are wide enough for a bike and car.
The "random bike/Pedestrian trails" are to connect existing PATHS and create an alternative to driving. There are people that would bike to work, but will not because of how the drivers do no respect cyclist. If we made it easier for people to bike to work then that would be less cars on the road.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,602,208 times
If nothing else Mayor Reed knows how to put on the hustle. I know nothing about the guy, but he's worked his southern a@@ off on this one. He was talking to Hispanic leaders today in an effort to get the vote out. 30k jobs, plus Hispanics apparently use a lot of public transportation. All the leaders pledged their support.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:42 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,706,379 times
Will be attending. corndog you coming?
Quote:
If nothing else Mayor Reed knows how to put on the hustle. I know nothing about the guy, but he's worked his southern a@@ off on this one.
Mayor Reed recognizes something that will benefit not just Atlanta residents, but all metro area residents. He knows he has done a great job as mayor of Atlanta and is not scared of his political future to put his full support behind this vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta