Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2012, 08:10 PM

175 posts, read 235,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
If they offered a plan like this I think more people would have been on board:

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/traveling...terRailMap.pdf

This TSPLOST could have funded expensive improvements to the freight rail bottlenecks and built out most of that system.
I Couldnt Agree More!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 PM

730 posts, read 827,610 times
Quote:

This TSPLOST could have funded expensive improvements to the freight rail bottlenecks and built out most of that system.
it looks great but like this dude just said on the news - a SPLOST will never work in a state like GA. It's not even being supported in Clayton, Fulton, or Dekalb. Funding will have to come from another source.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM

13 posts, read 27,547 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I agree especially if they add the Beltline and the CC

Completely agree as well. At someone else said (I think it was corndog) - a unified project would give something to rally behind. This could have been it.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady's Man View Post
it looks great but like this dude just said on the news - a SPLOST will never work in a state like GA. It's not even being supported in Clayton, Fulton, or Dekalb. Funding will have to come from another source.
No, he said the problem was with the way they advertised it and should have taken a more low key approach...

Old 07-31-2012, 08:17 PM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
What a sad day for Atlanta. This town has zero vision.
No just an abundance of common sense and justifiable outrage.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanosolar View Post
What a sad day for Atlanta. This town has zero vision.
I think it was an impossible situation, when the needs of residents vary so greatly. It is passing, at least right now, in several regions where there is more consensus about needs, plus remember outside of metro Atlanta, 25 percent of the revenue stays local, as compared to 15 percent in Metro Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
When we can't work together as a "region," it's time to develop a different strategy. Atlanta takes up far too much land for people to feel as if they are a part of the same region. I live in Fulton County and I couldn't really care less what goes in Paulding or Walton County. Yet our transportation leaders wants me to believe that we are all part of the same region. I don't believe it. Our common priority is reducing congestion, but we all have wildly different ways of how to accomplish that. People in Atlanta and South Dekalb want rail, people in Cobb and Gwinnett just want wider roads. People in Newton and Coweta just want more roads period.

The idea of regionalism in Atlanta is played out and will never work. There are too many forces in play here.
The challenge is that people's commute challenges vary. The vast majority of citizens in Metro Atlanta don't work or live in one place. Thus, what makes perfect sense to someone who lives near the Beltline and works downtown, makes little sense to the person who lives in Norcross and works in Lilburn.

Newton and Coweta weren't part of the metro region, by the way.

I also think several radical, big projects instead of 150ish smaller ones, might have made this an easier sale. However, it still would have been a tough sale.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:18 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Looks like it will pass in Central Savannah River, River Valley and Heart of Georgia

Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,306,779 times
Clayton, Dekalb, and Fulton counties for right now should be the only counties to really concentrate on improving transit-wise. They don't have the extreme amount of "no" votes going over 50% of the total vote count unlike ALL the other metro Atlanta counties that were invited in to vote on the T-SPLOST.

I truly hope the state legislature would take notes from this failed venture and stop screwing us true-transit supporters in the hindquarters consistently on this stuff; I truly do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Its not over just yet.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:20 PM

175 posts, read 235,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atl85 View Post
When we can't work together as a "region," it's time to develop a different strategy. Atlanta takes up far too much land for people to feel as if they are a part of the same region. I live in Fulton County and I couldn't really care less what goes in Paulding or Walton County. Yet our transportation leaders wants me to believe that we are all part of the same region. I don't believe it. Our common priority is reducing congestion, but we all have wildly different ways of how to accomplish that. People in Atlanta and South Dekalb want rail, people in Cobb and Gwinnett just want wider roads. People in Newton and Coweta just want more roads period.

The idea of regionalism in Atlanta is played out and will never work. There are too many forces in play here.

Well Said..Thats why we Need to Implement the Regional rail Plan Already...This is something we ALL Have in Common...Train Tracks Criss-Crossing Our Counties...From Cartersville To Athens...Were used to freight trains passing thru. ..Why Not Passenger service ...I Cant see why its so hard to get this off the ground here already....The Tracks are Already In Place...Now the Entire Region can get something fair and Square without one paying more than the other and It Takes HALF the Time to get It Built.. as to say.. Extending sugarloaf parkway for 300 Million Bucks over 10 Years...Or Is it Just me that this makes sense to..

Old 07-31-2012, 08:21 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,104 times
Even though Metro Atlanta "lost" we still won because now our officials will know that we need a better plan. We need something better than two light rail lines and a million road improvements. At least we got this far having a vote. This is the first vote. Now our elected officials know what they need to do next time. Next time get rid of all the BS road projects and have mostly commuter/light/heavy rail plus a FEW road improvements

We will still continue to get new jobs here because of our large airport, our CHEAP cost of living, our geographical location, our large number of educated professionals, our high quality of living, our cheap housing market, our top notch universities, moderate climate, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta