U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 07:19 AM

21,261 posts, read 15,206,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cobb wants rail, just not Marta. They can easily make their own version that will connect to Marta
Oh yeah, cause Cobb did such a great job on their crappy bus systems. MARTA has over 40 years of running a mass transit system. Lets not deny it is the 8th highest ridership in the nation, while metro Atlanta is only the 9th largest MSA.
Quote:
even though I personally have never met a single person there that uses it, but whatever
Where do you spend your time, Buckhead? I live 1 mile from a station and use it everyday. Areas that are not served by MARTA miss out on my money because I will only go to places that are served by MARTA. I am able to get anything I need by using MARTA. So stop with your anti-MARTA B.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 08:02 AM

4,055 posts, read 3,918,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
So then we just knock the phrase "Metro" out of Metro Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority? There are connections, somehow, all over the "metro area" to get to MARTA if you want to. People aren't using them, not even in the areas of Fulton and Dekalb that are closer to the ends of the line. Go to almost any other city in the world with a metro rail system and the terminus stations are among the highest used. People will drive to the last station and hop on the train there...why are they not doing it at North Springs? Why are they not doing it at Hightower? Why are people willingly driving right past these great public transportation options and choosing to sit in traffic staring at them without getting on the train?

Gwinnett has a system that connects to MARTA, as does Cobb. I will be willing to bet the number of people that use them daily to commute from the suburbs into Atlanta is under 10'000. Probably under 1'000. Probably under 500. So if we look at the entire metro area, that COULD somehow get to MARTA and use it, 95% are in fact choosing not to.

I never doubted it serves people well in the urban core of the city (even though I personally have never met a single person there that uses it, but whatever), but when you talk about spending all kinds of money to extend it out to the burbs where people already have public transportation options that they're not using, then you're cooking up an expensive exercise in futility.

Now, other cities and states across the country have bus systems that extend all the way out to rural areas, let alone suburbs, and they have huge ridership, probably more than Atlanta has on MARTA itself. Those systems work great because the people there choose to use public transportation when it is offered them. People (let's just use the phrase OTP) that are in the proposed zones for this extended service just don't want it. Plain and simple. They don't want their tax money spent on it, they don't want to ride it, they don't want the construction in their neighborhoods, they don't want undesirable people having access to their communities.

I will promise you that if it came up for a vote on a ballot that the people of Cobb County would strike it down convincingly. Guaranteed. Gwinnett, maybe not because they have grown and could probably use a rail extension, I'll grant you that, but still, even in areas where suburban rail extensions are available in Dekalb and Fulton they're not being used. Why then do we assume that an extension all the way up to the rural backwoods like Bartow County is going to be viable? That's insane...
For MARTA to be the 8th in rail ridership with the limited area it goes is actually not that bad. On average the total daily ridership rail and bus is 482,500 passengers, that covers a area of 1,600,000. That's equal to a quarter of the population it can serve.

MARTA just have a bus rout that stop in Cumberland and that doesn't help much, you actually expect significant commuting to come out of that. And I don't know the GRTA Xpress stats but to my understanding it successful which contradicts everything your saying. There is a sizable population in metro Atlanta using public transportation. A small percentage of Metro Atlantans not using Marta because of it small coverage is not the same thing as people across the metro not using public transportation. The problem with metro Atlanta is balkanization.

Some of the greatest rail advocates are the Business leaders of the CIDs Community improvement districts. So I guess it's bigots vs business leaders. It's funny the "undesirable people" can afford cars and look down on public transplantation. They aren't the ones who are going be riding, on that same note the "undesirable people" can ride there cars though out the suburbs already.

Northwest Transit Corridor Alternatives Analysis - Cumberland Community Improvement District (CCID)

TCACID.com

Gwinnett Village Community Improvement District - I-85 Corridor Light Rail Transit System

Gwinnett CID study shows interest in sales tax for light rail *| ajc.com

Gwinnett business groups looking at light rail - Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 AM

4,055 posts, read 3,918,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
^It would help if you used any sort of facts to back up your opinion. As it stands, you're pulling numbers our of your you-know-where and spouting your anecdotes and opinions like they're gospel truth.

This thread is about the Regional Transportation Referendum, so it's irrelevant if Cobb County alone (or Gwinnett County alone, etc) would vote for a MARTA sales tax. This is a multi-county transportation sales tax, the majority of which will pay for roads.
Yes we must keep this in mind.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,557,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
For MARTA to be the 8th in rail ridership with the limited area it goes is actually not that bad. On average the total daily ridership rail and bus is 482,500 passengers, that covers a area of 1,600,000. That's equal to a quarter of the population it can serve.
[/url]
Actually, that is 482,500 transit trips. If I go to work on MARTA and leave on MARTA, I count twice. Therefore that 482,500, likely represents a number closer to 275,000 riders a day.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM

21,261 posts, read 15,206,035 times
Quote:
Actually, that is 482,500 transit trips. If I go to work on MARTA and leave on MARTA, I count twice. Therefore that 482,500, likely represents a number closer to 275,000 riders a day.
That is entirely untrue. MARTA is tracking the boarding per BreezeCard. So if I transferred from bus to train that is still 1, not 2. That is why MARTA has commuters Tap Out of the stations.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
That is entirely untrue. MARTA is tracking the boarding per BreezeCard. So if I transferred from bus to train that is still 1, not 2. That is why MARTA has commuters Tap Out of the stations.
No. If I ride to work in the morning and then I ride home in the afternoon, that counts as 2. My statement is still valid.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:54 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,531,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
No. If I ride to work in the morning and then I ride home in the afternoon, that counts as 2. My statement is still valid.
No, you statement is NOT still valid. Not according to the APTA, which tracks and verifies transit ridership for the entire country.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
No, you statement is NOT still valid. Not according to the APTA, which tracks and verifies transit ridership for the entire country.
I don't think you understand how they are counting trips. To understand what the number they are publishing means, you have to understand the metric. They are not counting round trips, they are counting unlinked trips. If I take MARTA to work, that counts as 1 trip. If later that day I take it home, that counts as another trip. Therefore my statement is still valid.

EXPLANATION: BTS | BOX 6-B - Unlinked Passenger Trips vs. Number of Passengers

Old 04-04-2012, 03:49 PM

27,479 posts, read 23,630,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Where do you spend your time, Buckhead?
I would have thought the MARTA stations up there get a good bit of use. Every time I'm in one of them there seem to be a bunch of people there. Maybe they are just milling around.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:40 PM

596 posts, read 1,349,170 times
AGain, I remind you CQholt, that the fact that you live within a mile of a station is wonderful and the fact that you use it every day is wonderful. The facts show that people who live in the suburbs prefer not to use public transportation to get to work. You can talk about how popular MARTA is in Atlanta until you turn blue, but it's just not that popular in Marietta or Duluth. Until you can prove otherwise, we're really talking about nothing.

You keep saying how popular MARTA is in the city and I HAVE NOT DISAGREED WITH THAT ONE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm saying that it's obviously not wanted in Cobb.

But, this is the internet, people use anything even related to their pet issue to harp on it and Atlantans have always been very protective of their MARTA, dare you criticize even the slightest detail (which I haven't, I've only said that it would fail if extended to Cobb and provided evidence...)

And when have I ever said I was anti-MARTA? I told you I used it myself for 3 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why can you just not accept that people in the suburbs don't want public transportation and prefer to drive?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim
It would help if you used any sort of facts to back up your opinion. As it stands, you're pulling numbers our of your you-know-where and spouting your anecdotes and opinions like they're gospel truth.
Have you read the rest of this thread? I've done far more research and cited more sources than my opponents have.

Last edited by RC1981; 04-04-2012 at 05:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or