Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2012, 08:54 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,020,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koelrw View Post
I agree. This vote shows that the region cannot collectively solve problems. Deal is going to determine the projects, and he's going to do the minimum. That means Georgians can expect roads to become much worse.

Meanwhile other cities are moving ahead.
They got a lot of work to do....your statement will hold weight when those cities have over 43% of the population with college degrees, heavy rail (no city in the south will never have heavy rail besides Atlanta), when they build a larger airport than ours, when they have more universities than us, when they have a better quality of living,have a rail service that connects from downtown to the airport, have a better geographical location than us,etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:59 AM

10,744 posts, read 13,384,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Just saw that Columbus, Macon and Augusta voters have approved the TSPLOST in their districts. All the trash talk about how Metro Atlanta is so much more progressive than the rest of the state needs to stop ... Now!
No kidding!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:04 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,652,074 times
Glad to see Columbus pass this. Columbus has always been a forward thinking city. The facilities that Columbus has can easily rival cities 2-3 times its size. Columbus is making moves to reach the next level.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:08 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
Quote:
No timeline, no construction schedules, just a list of things and a 10 year time period and 2 year generalites were not enough to convince me to give over hundreds of dollars a year to these people, especially when I am not directly affected by traffic woes.
If you went online to any of the websites http://www.atlantaregionalroundtable...nal_report.pdf dedicated to the TSPLOST, there was a timeline for all the projects getting done.
Quote:
even though I would like to see more transit and would like to see the Beltline get more funding, this "plan" was not really a plan IMO and I had no confidence that the transit portions would get completed.
Divert the $300 million from Atlanta's hotel/motel tax that the state wants to give for a new Falcon's stadium towards BeltLine transit.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:15 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,358,427 times
I'm pretty disappointed that it failed.

There was not a single project on the list that directly affected me and my commutes. Yet, I was still 110% in favor of it. I look beyond myself on things like this.

And yes, it wasn't perfect. But it was a step in the right direction. I think I saw someone earlier say that even that is deplorable. Anything other than perfection is apparently not acceptable. However, there is NO PLAN that will be perfect for everyone. Even if they came up with a ridiculously awesome rail plan, you would have thousands of very loud opponents, claiming we need more roads. If a big road plan came out, you'd have people screaming about rail. Nothing will ever please everyone. Unfortunately, in Georgia, we only think of ourselves for the most part.

Oh well, the car-use continues for at least the next decade. *sigh*

Old 08-01-2012, 09:23 AM

74 posts, read 91,165 times
WOW, shocking to see so many people on here that actually believe ANYTHING that the government tells them when taking our hard earned money. What if anything makes any of you believe that this HUGE tax increase wasnt going to be wasted and mishandled by the government??

I am proud that so many of my fellow Georgians werent buying the nonsense that the pro-tax T-SPLOST types were pushing and for all of you complaining about Georgia there are several major insterstates leaving this state along with the worlds busiest airport. Bye, bye!

Old 08-01-2012, 09:25 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
You can't blame the TSPLOST itself for not satisfying everybody. It was set up for failure from the beginning by the state legislature in several ways.

Most significantly, it attempted to combine areas with very different needs and priorities. Frankly, it was an amazing feat of compromise and civic vision to come up with a plan that was endorsed by the leaders in all 10 counties. I seriously doubt that we'll ever see that again.

So it was a valiant effort and I give a lot of credit to all our mayors and county commissioners who stuck their necks in an attempt to accomplish something positive for the entire region. The business community deserves a lot of credit for all their work as well. The TSPLOST would given us a beginning point and something to build on.

However, the politics were an uphill battle from the outset.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:35 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
when they have a better quality of living,
Too subjective. Traffic and jobs affects this.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,885,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernassassin View Post
WOW, shocking to see so many people on here that actually believe ANYTHING that the government tells them when taking our hard earned money. What if anything makes any of you believe that this HUGE tax increase wasnt going to be wasted and mishandled by the government??

I am proud that so many of my fellow Georgians werent buying the nonsense that the pro-tax T-SPLOST types were pushing and for all of you complaining about Georgia there are several major insterstates leaving this state along with the worlds busiest airport. Bye, bye!

So we are fine the way we are then? No change or image improvement is needed?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Glad to see Columbus pass this. Columbus has always been a forward thinking city. The facilities that Columbus has can easily rival cities 2-3 times its size. Columbus is making moves to reach the next level.
Again, apples and oranges. The proposals put before them were quite different than Atlanta or anywhere else. Again, let's not make it so simplistic. It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta