Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,350,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Looks very much like another ITP vs OTP debate. ITP wants more transit and is willing to pay more. OTP doesn't and does not want to pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 01:50 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Thanks, cq.

What it boils down to is strong support for transportation in the closer in areas -- Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Buckhead, Emory, downtown, the west side, etc. More than likely we'll see bonds issued so that we can go ahead and move forward.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:30 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
Quote:
What it boils down to is strong support for transportation in the closer in areas -- Midtown, Virginia-Highland, Buckhead, Emory, downtown, the west side, etc. More than likely we'll see bonds issued so that we can go ahead and move forward.
That's what we need or a way to diver the Hotel/Motel tax to pay for transit expansion, since Deal is not going to expand rail transit in his term(s).

Old 08-06-2012, 02:42 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,201,228 times
How could we get the hotel tax money diverted to transit? Would or could there be a referendum this November? Or is this solely an executive decision?

I freaking hate the idea of that tax money going to a new stadium.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:03 PM

Well I think Deal vowed that the money will not go to transit, but how can he have control over a City of Atlanta tax?

Old 08-06-2012, 03:54 PM

95 posts, read 186,197 times
If the city can't pay for its own infrastructure with the free money they already get from commuters and visitors, then I think all the suburbanites should move the heck outta city limits. Suburbanites bring all their money into Atlanta and Atlanta still can't pay for their own damn infrastructure. It's insulting to any half-educated person's intelligence. "OTP and ITP".... lol, give me a break, the ITP'ers can't even pay for their own infrastructure yet they look down upon the OTP'ers. Who the hell do you think built all those skyscrapers in buckhead/midtown??? And who do you think has the JOBS in those buildings??? OTP'ers of course!

Nimby-ism and snobbery/hate is what will destroy Atlanta.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
If the city can't pay for its own infrastructure with the free money they already get from commuters and visitors, then I think all the suburbanites should move the heck outta city limits.

Suburbanites bring all their money into Atlanta and Atlanta still can't pay for their own damn infrastructure. It's insulting to any half-educated person's intelligence.
Suburbanites don't live in the city.
Atlanta does pay for its own infrastructure, it is rebuilding its antiquated sewer system with a SPLOST. If it wasn't for Atlanta none of the 'fancy' suburbs would be here.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 PM

95 posts, read 186,197 times
Quote:
Suburbanites don't live in the city.
I know that. I meant move their businesses out.

Quote:
If it wasn't for Atlanta none of the 'fancy' suburbs would be here.
That's a pretty insulting and snobby thing to say to the people of cities like Roswell or Alpharetta, that they are "dependent" on Atlanta.

Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,876,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post

That's a pretty insulting and snobby thing to say to the people of cities like Roswell or Alpharetta, that they are "dependent" on Atlanta.
No it's not. It's common sense.

Those towns where nothing 40 years ago before Atlanta sprawled. You think if Atlanta blew up tomorrow that those places would continue to thrive?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:17 PM

725 posts, read 1,273,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filmsequal View Post
I know that. I meant move their businesses out.

What he was saying is that Roswell or Alpharetta would never have grown had Atlanta not been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta