U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 02:09 PM

7,486 posts, read 9,178,094 times

Advertisements

There are many options aside from introducing a sales tax.

Local schools are failing....why don't we have a penny tax for that?

Libraries are having trouble, why don't we have a penny library tax?

Dogs poop in my yard. We should have a penny tax to fund dog poop removal.

I know crime is a problem, maybe we need a penny tax for police.

The list goes on. You can't solve every problem by asking residents to increase sales tax. Well, if you're a lazy politician who is afraid to make decisions and suck at finance, maybe you can. If they had their way, we would tax ourselves into oblivion. If this passes, sales tax in the city of Atlanta will be 9%. When does it stop?

If you need money for roads, tax the people who use them. Have the guts to increase the fuel tax.

In the middle of this economy, asking people to tax themselves and additional 1% on every last thing that they buy....well, it ain't gonna happen. They should have focus grouped it before even proposing it before wasting all of our time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 02:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,271,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

The list goes on. You can't solve every problem by asking residents to increase sales tax. Well, if you're a lazy politician who is afraid to make decisions and suck at finance, maybe you can. If they had their way, we would tax ourselves into oblivion. If this passes, sales tax in the city of Atlanta will be 9%. When does it stop?

If you need money for roads, tax the people who use them. Have the guts to increase the fuel tax.

In the middle of this economy, asking people to tax themselves and additional 1% on every last thing that they buy....well, it ain't gonna happen. They should have focus grouped it before even proposing it before wasting all of our time.
As long as you are ok with an additional 3 million people moving here and doing nothing to help the traffic flow don't worry about it. If you are ok with adding a couple of extra hours to your commute and spending more than 1 cent in gas with your longer commute then dont vote for it.

Old 04-01-2012, 02:38 PM

906 posts, read 1,417,533 times
I do think fair concerns have been raised about sales taxes hitting 9% in Atlanta, and the heavier burden that will place on those with lower incomes.

If we do end up going there, the city should make basic staples (such as groceries, or at least produce) sales-tax free. That would help reduce some of the burden on the poor and middle class.

But I also do wish we had politicians that cared more about doing what's best for the community, rather than being so scared about not getting re-elected that they can't do their job and raise taxes when necessary.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,456,835 times
Quote:

None of those issues can be fixed with more money and you know it. How do you prepose we fix our traffic issues with no additional income?

Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,271,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post
I do think fair concerns have been raised about sales taxes hitting 9% in Atlanta, and the heavier burden that will place on those with lower incomes.

If we do end up going there, the city should make basic staples (such as groceries, or at least produce) sales-tax free. That would help reduce some of the burden on the poor and middle class.

But I also do wish we had politicians that cared more about doing what's best for the community, rather than being so scared about not getting re-elected that they can't do their job and raise taxes when necessary.
Well you will pay more than a penny with 3 million additional people on the roads here

Old 04-01-2012, 03:07 PM

That all depends.

I see 5 phases of light rail from Doraville to Gwinnett Arena on the list.

Is that a project that will be completed within 10 years under the plan?

I was under the impression that the only mass transit into Gwinnett that the plan funded was yet another feasibility study.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:38 PM

351 posts, read 440,879 times
^if cobb and gwinnett really wanted rail they would've figured out a way to get it by now. as it has been, most people out there think it brings "crime" and don't want to "subsidize poor people" so lets give them more roads, and give us in the city better transit. that's what this seems to be achieving, and while it could be better, it could also be much, much worse.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:46 PM

4,076 posts, read 3,932,662 times
Quote:

Schools, and Libraries success, police keeping the crime low. Can be done with out involving raising taxes, because those things are hardly related to funding. Better teachers and parents can get a school to have more success. On the other hand improving transportation infrastructure can't fix itself. I don't even understand that comparison. What?... people should move away from the Atlanta region, to have infructure that fits the population? ) Also this is transportation infrastructure you compare it to dog poop removal, It shows you don't take this seriously

Most projects are road projects but this is transportation in general. whether you walk, ride a bike, drive a car and etc it will effect you. This is something that will effect the region economically it would be easier to pick up relocate companies and etc with better transit infrastructure. And if this don't pass it will send a terrible message about the Atlanta regions. This is not like voting on alcohol sales voting no has a major consequence it's basically voting against the growth of the region. The city of Atlanta can always lower takes in what ever, it would take another ten years to have another chance to vote again on this regional referendum. If you have a bug against Atlanta taxes this is so the wrong thing.

Somethings I found interesting from the video.

1. GA is 48th in transportation spending per resident! 2:48

2. The law call for a citizen review panel to check spending. 5:05

3. The transportation consequence of not passing. Projects can take over 20 years longer. 6:10

4. Competition with other regions Dallas, Charlotte, Phoenix, Minneapolis, Seattle and etc have pass transportation referendums 11:47

Old 04-02-2012, 12:05 AM

Location: Corpus Christi, TX - New York, NY - Metro Atlanta & Savannah, GA
4,235 posts, read 6,733,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^if cobb and gwinnett really wanted rail they would've figured out a way to get it by now. as it has been, most people out there think it brings "crime" and don't want to "subsidize poor people" so lets give them more roads, and give us in the city better transit. that's what this seems to be achieving, and while it could be better, it could also be much, much worse.
Don't lump Gwinnett in with Cobb. Though the two have their similarities (size, population, distance from ATL proper), the demographics are quite different.

I'm sure a lot more residents of Gwinnett are in favor of expanding mass transit up here than those in neighboring Cobb.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:37 AM

I'm still struggling to understand if this plan includes light rail to Gwinnett.

I see it on the list, but I would think if this was the case, it would be a major, major selling point of the tax. Would this tax definitely bring light rail to Gwinnett Arena?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or