U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM

4,377 posts, read 3,943,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The interstate systems wasn't built in 10 years
Because the interstate system traverses an entire country. We're only talking about a few miles of rail, it really shouldn't be that complicated.

As has been pointed out, the first transcontinental railroad only took 6 years to build. Sure, they had cheap labor and not many land deals to worry about, but they were also dealing with the technology of 150 years ago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 PM

7,475 posts, read 4,257,765 times
Quote:
Because the interstate system traverses an entire country
How long did it take to build I-285? And it was all rural when complete in 1969. We are talking about building a rail line through an already urban area. If we don't start now we doom our kids to chocking traffic congestion.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:11 PM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
How long did it take to build I-285? And it was all rural when complete in 1969. We are talking about building a rail line through an already urban area. If we don't start now we doom our kids to chocking traffic congestion.
The entire Interstate system was started under Eisenhower in the late 1950s, and I-285 planning was begun in 1957 with sections opening as they were completed, up to the final segment opening in 1969. It was two lanes in each direction. I can remember sections of I-285 being 3 lanes in each direction around 1980 when I first visited my sister in Dunwoody.

The whole scare tactic about "choking congestion" doesn't take into account the fact that as technology improves and becomes more ubiquitous, there will be less of a need for many folks to drive to an office, or they will do the commute at times other than the static "rush hours" currently in place.

Additionally, even more and more people will need to commute to places other than downtown Atlanta, making a plan to keep building rail to downtown even more of an obsolete idea.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:24 PM

397 posts, read 383,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
The entire Interstate system was started under Eisenhower in the late 1950s, and I-285 planning was begun in 1957 with sections opening as they were completed, up to the final segment opening in 1969. It was two lanes in each direction. I can remember sections of I-285 being 3 lanes in each direction around 1980 when I first visited my sister in Dunwoody.

The whole scare tactic about "choking congestion" doesn't take into account the fact that as technology improves and becomes more ubiquitous, there will be less of a need for many folks to drive to an office, or they will do the commute at times other than the static "rush hours" currently in place.

Additionally, even more and more people will need to commute to places other than downtown Atlanta, making a plan to keep building rail to downtown even more of an obsolete idea.
This is a flawed argument, more and more people are moving into city centers making them more dense which will increase ridership. Also for all we know gas may be $10 a gallon five years from now, what happens then? We can't control the price of gas anymore whatever a buffoon like Gingrich says. Trains and similar infrastructure are an investment for our future.

Out of interest why are other countries investing so much in rail and also some states in the US. Are we smarter in GA and/or know something they don't

Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM

4,688 posts, read 3,543,835 times
So what do your local friends think about this bill?

Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Trains and similar infrastructure are an investment for our future.
Some may disagree with this point.

However, I would say that most people will agree with it. My problem with TSPLOST is that it does not do nearly enough for rail. We can do better than adding a few miles here and there and funding yet more studies and land access in a 10 year period.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:39 PM

397 posts, read 383,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

However, I would say that most people will agree with it. My problem with TSPLOST is that it does not do nearly enough for rail. We can do better than adding a few miles here and there and funding yet more studies and land access in a 10 year period.
Yep agreed this bill doesn't do enough. But look at who we are dealing with...........

Old 04-02-2012, 08:46 PM

1,148 posts, read 681,152 times
Quote:

Well I would have paid 2% for a $12 billion bill that included more rail, but that's just me. That would have hurt the chances not helped it.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM

If $9 billion isn't enough to fund some decent rail, what is?

Do they need $1 trillion? More? I don't even know what number comes after a trillion!

I don't think it sends the right message to support half-baked legislation. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.

If you come back and ask for a nickel tax that will fund widespread rail expansion all over the metro, then I'll support you all the way. But don't come asking for a penny so a few doctors and researchers have an easier time getting to the CDC and Emory and people can go a few miles further up GA 400.

Old 04-02-2012, 08:58 PM

1,148 posts, read 681,152 times
Quote:
If $9 billion isn't enough to fund some decent rail, what is?

Do they need $1 trillion? More? I don't even know what number comes after a trillion!

I don't think it sends the right message to support half-baked legislation. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.

If you come back and ask for a nickel tax that will fund widespread rail expansion all over the metro, then I'll support you all the way. But don't come asking for a penny so a few doctors and researchers have an easier time getting to the CDC and Emory and people can go a few miles further up GA 400.
That's $3 billion more than this will provide. Yes you could fund some decent rail with $3 billion more.

And no one is going to vote for a 5% sales tax increase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta