U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2012, 11:32 PM

4,235 posts, read 4,135,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Some may disagree with this point.

However, I would say that most people will agree with it. My problem with TSPLOST is that it does not do nearly enough for rail. We can do better than adding a few miles here and there and funding yet more studies and land access in a 10 year period.
Once this fail that it, there's not going to be a revise vote to fit everything to what every one wants perfectly. Voting no, isn't hey go back to the drawing board... voting no, it's hey don't do anything. Everything on the list needs to be done, So now the projects you want to be done like more light rail etc are going to be push back even further because the list now, the basic stuff can't even be done.

This is critical to Atlanta's future. I trying to imagine business and local government leaders confidence and ambition in the region if this fails. Dealing with revise plans and setbacks, trying figure out how get out the mess the region will be in if voter vote no.

Quote:
The whole scare tactic about "choking congestion" doesn't take into account the fact that as technology improves and becomes more ubiquitous, there will be less of a need for many folks to drive to an office, or they will do the commute at times other than the static "rush hours" currently in place.

Additionally, even more and more people will need to commute to places other than downtown Atlanta, making a plan to keep building rail to downtown even more of an obsolete idea.
This is a regional plan most projects are not even in Atlanta or to Atlanta, and there are plenty suburb to suburb projects also there's reverse commuting from Atlanta to the suburbs. Your so stuck on being anti Atlanta the city your willing to ignore what the is list a regional plan.

Metro Atlanta has bad transportation infrastructure as of now, We are competing with Dallas and Houston both who are accelerating over Atlanta in transportation improvements. Before we even talk about adding 3 million, Atlanta has a bad repetition with 5 million. I don't want Atlanta to end up with even 6 million with bad infrastructure for even 5 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 11:33 PM

7,713 posts, read 9,577,479 times
I know.

I wasn't trying to indicate that a nickel tax is going to happen.

I am merely trying to indicate that I am not against this tax because I am against mass transit. I am against this tax because it is stupid and won't do much.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:51 AM

4,235 posts, read 4,135,725 times
Quote:
I know.

I wasn't trying to indicate that a nickel tax is going to happen.

I am merely trying to indicate that I am not against this tax because I am against mass transit. I am against this tax because it is stupid and won't do much.
Besides the issues of too little rail the list is find to me. At first I was very argumentative with the Texas posters regarding transportation and a lot of things I still disagree with them on. But in truth Texas cities are ahead in just even road projects. We actually do need to widen a lot of roads, and improve freeway intersections, signs, lights and etc. In addition to the 7.2 billion for the projects list 1.3 billion will go back to local cities and counties for other improves not on the list. All of this will be will watch by a citizen review panel to check spending and accountability. This is needed and there's nothing stupid about it. My thing to you is if we can't get this done, things you wanted will get push back even further.

This is something interesting, remember the money going to counties and cities for projects that's not listed. If Cobb can get a federal grant they still can build a line. This is not a listed project but it still needs to pass for this happen.
Quote:
A project that could have built a rail line from MARTA’s Arts Center station to the Cumberland area of Cobb County lost $167.5 million in regional funding from the proposed project list. Instead, that money would go to road projects — such as an interchange at I-75 and Windy Hill Road.

The $689 million remaining for the Cobb transit project likely would not be enough to build a rail line on its own. Local officials still hope to fill the gap with some other source of funds, such as federal grants.

As for Cobb’s hopes for a rail line, the county hopes to know about its chances for securing a federal grant in early 2013.
Quote:
The project list provides a foundation for future suburban rail expansion, should another source of funds appear. Besides the Cobb line, there’s $95 million for studying and engineering for a transit line into Gwinnett County.
Regional rail plan scaled back as list deadline nears *| ajc.com

Old 04-03-2012, 08:13 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
I agree too little transit project, but they had to add more roads projects or else car-dominated citizens would not have voted for it. There is a good mix, about 50/50 and should appease transit and car commuters. IF this does not pass there is no plan B. The legislators in the Gold Dome are too worried about getting reelected to do raise any taxes themselves, so they put the vote to us. Why do we even have elected officials?

Old 04-03-2012, 08:25 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,543,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
This is a flawed argument, more and more people are moving into city centers making them more dense which will increase ridership. Also for all we know gas may be $10 a gallon five years from now, what happens then? We can't control the price of gas anymore whatever a buffoon like Gingrich says. Trains and similar infrastructure are an investment for our future.

Out of interest why are other countries investing so much in rail and also some states in the US. Are we smarter in GA and/or know something they don't
So if more people are moving into the city centers as you mention, why do they need rail from the suburbs? They are already served by MARTA or within walking or biking distance, correct?

As for other countries....which ones? Canada? Australia? Others that share similar scale and population densities, or are you referring to Europe and Japan, neither of which are analogous to the US.

I have spent much time in Europe, and I agree that they have great high speed rail lines that take high volumes of riders between national capitals and business centers that are 100, 200, or 300 miles apart. Here in the US we have the same thing, but they're called airplanes, since our cities are many hundreds and even thousands of miles apart. The scale is on a different level.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:23 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,511,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
So if more people are moving into the city centers as you mention, why do they need rail from the suburbs? They are already served by MARTA or within walking or biking distance, correct?
In part, because we're sick, literally, of breathing the exhaust from all your cars.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM

22,209 posts, read 16,245,820 times
Quote:
And tired of hearing y'all ***** every morning about traffic and gas prices.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,511,579 times
Quote:
Some may disagree with this point.
Sure, a lot of people would. To those people, I would like to ask: What, if anything, IS a good investment for our future?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,543,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
And tired of hearing y'all ***** every morning about traffic and gas prices.
I don't complain about traffic or gas prices, so leave me out of your "y'all" crap. In fact, I'm one of the few who keeps telling you wusses that the traffic here isn't that bad compared to many large cities. You just choose to whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
In part, because we're sick, literally, of breathing the exhaust from all your cars.
So now it's "us and them" and you are the righteous "we" and everyone else is the evil "them"...got it.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:56 AM

3,749 posts, read 2,362,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I don't complain about traffic or gas prices, so leave me out of your "y'all" crap. In fact, I'm one of the few who keeps telling you wusses that the traffic here isn't that bad compared to many large cities. You just choose to whine.
And thus you would be deluding yourself.

Metro Atlanta's commute 4th worst in the nation, U.S. Census says *| ajc.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or