U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2012, 08:48 AM

22,199 posts, read 16,217,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Maybe the other jurisdictions are actually taking the time to put some thought into their list, instead of just throwing a bunch of projects on a list like a 5-year-old kid who just got $20 for his birthday and immediately thinks "hmmm....what can I spend this on?".........
Really? I have you know that Atlanta has had input from its citizens for over 6 months on how WE would like to see the money spent. WE discussed and voted in the NPUs and now each NPU gets a share of $16 million over 10 years to use in its boundaries as we see fit. Atlanta is listening to its citizens and will repave streets, fix and add sidewalks, add bike lanes, and other projects that help everyone.
Quote:
I think that speaks volumes about why many people in Cobb or Cherokee aren't wild about this plan and may not vote for it. They don't see that kind of solution being proposed, but they do hear about proposals for spending close to a BILLION dollars on a light rail line from Cumberland Mall to Atlanta.
Fine, we'll build a toll at I-75 at I-285 and you all can be your own region. Stop being so short sighted and selfish. Most of the people in the region cross county lines for work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 08:52 AM

BeltLine Crosstown Streetcar route update.
North Ave or 10th St: Which is better for 'crosstown' streetcar route? - Midtown, GA Patch
Personally I think 10th street is better. It already has a large concentration of offices and provides connection to the Fed and Piedmont Park. 10th street is very congested though. Having the line on North Ave will help with redevelopment along the corridor.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:00 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,141,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Really? I have you know that Atlanta has had input from its citizens for over 6 months on how WE would like to see the money spent. WE discussed and voted in the NPUs and now each NPU gets a share of $16 million over 10 years to use in its boundaries as we see fit. Atlanta is listening to its citizens and will repave streets, fix and add sidewalks, add bike lanes, and other projects that help everyone.
OK- so it was a bunch of kids who are all anticipating getting $20 in their birthdays cards and dreaming about how to blow it.....

Old 06-06-2012, 09:09 AM
JPD

11,882 posts, read 14,498,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
OK- so it was a bunch of kids who are all anticipating getting $20 in their birthdays cards and dreaming about how to blow it.....
Well, that's a pathetic non-response.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Well, that's a pathetic non-response.
If (and that's a big "if") the TIA passes, come back and see me in a few years- I guarantee that I'm right, and the list turns out to be a bunch of drivel, half of which never gets built, as "other projects that need attention" siphon away funds.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:12 AM

No, we actually worked with our elected officials to come up with our list. Did you even read the list or jump to wild conclusions? What is Cobb gonna do, build more fancy mast pole traffic lights?

Old 06-06-2012, 09:31 AM

Yes, I did see the list- it's a lot of "I think we should repave this street" and "I think we should put sidewalks here". Practically any street in Atlanta can use repaving or new sidewalks- that doesn't mean it's the best use of the available funds just because a few homeowners say it's needed and the elected officials agreed to put it on the list.

Having been involved in city government/politics for the past five years, I can't begin to tell you the number of "great ideas" to spend money that I've seen proposed and approved that aren't fully studied (correctly), that turn out to be complete wastes and don't achieve any results.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 AM

This is what the citizens wanted. Doesn't get any more democratic than that.
Another reason to add more transit for all you older baby boomers. You can't drive forever and modern cities are not designed for old people and other non-drivers.
A Case Study in a Senior-Friendly City - Commute - The Atlantic Cities

Old 06-06-2012, 09:50 AM

Hmmm....my mother lives in an active adult community with over 3,000 houses, and not a single bus or train anywhere nearby- yet somehow they all survive just fine.......

Old 06-06-2012, 10:07 AM

That's great that she can afford to live there. But what about the million others that do not want to live in a old folks home or can't afford, how do they get to the doctors of grocery store? Some do not want to inconvenience their kids or grandkids. This is gonna be your future Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or