U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,518,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
No...I would not be. I'm judging by personal experience.

Ever been to NY? Ever been to DC? Ever been to Boston? Ever been to LA? Ever been to SF? All cities that supposedly have better transportation networks that also have much worse traffic than Atlanta.

Atlanta does not have traffic jams on nights and weekends. No backups at bridges and tunnels, etc. I drive downtown from Marietta and don't even hit bumper to bumper, let alone anything bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM

2,092 posts, read 2,559,079 times
If this happens...residents will definitely need some alternative transit options...

MARTA service cuts looming *| ajc.com

Old 04-03-2012, 09:01 AM

7,688 posts, read 9,532,497 times
Quote:
In part, because we're sick, literally, of breathing the exhaust from all your cars.
You're barking up the wrong tree. That's like blaming a creek in the backyard for a flood when the raging river is what has breached its banks.

If you are really sick of pollution, then you should concentrate your efforts on the real polluters: Georgia Power and Hartsfield airport.

Or you could lobby the government to stop excluding diesel engines, government vehicles, and older vehicles from emission checks.

Better yet, why not lobby for a higher excise tax on gasoline that actually punishes drivers? Most of the TSPLOST is to improve roads, which will result in MORE cars on the road.

That's a pitiful excuse for supporting this lame tax.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:02 AM

3,528 posts, read 2,303,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post

Ever been to NY? Ever been to DC? Ever been to Boston? Ever been to LA? Ever been to SF? All cities that supposedly have better transportation networks that also have much worse traffic than Atlanta.

Atlanta does not have traffic jams on nights and weekends. No backups at bridges and tunnels, etc. I drive downtown from Marietta and don't even hit bumper to bumper, let alone anything bad.
And ATL is the 4th worst in the nation judging by EVERYONE's personal experience.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:08 AM

2,123 posts, read 3,392,328 times
Quote:

I've actually LIVED in 3 of those cities and the traffic here is just as bad. The difference between New York and DC is as ample as their public transportation is you can actually get ANYWHERE you need to go without HAVING to drive. Definitely not the case here. Now imagine how much worse their traffic would be if you couldn't take the subway to Brooklyn, or the Bronx or Long Island like you can't take it to Clayton, Douglas or Gwinnett here. And miss me with that one bus every 30 minutes crap. DC traffic is bad but would be even worse if you couldn't get ANYWHERE you needed to go on the Metro.

The bottom line is those cities actually have ample public transportation, we don't. And unlike here, the different counties/states/boroughs actually work together rather than having the "Marta will bring the wrong elements" attitudes.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:14 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post

Way to dig up 2 year old data that doesn't even say we are the worst.

Cities with the worst traffic congestion - Mar. 4, 2011

That is a more recent article from CNN that says we are among number 10 with a few other cities.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:15 AM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Quote:

So now it's "us and them" and you are the righteous "we" and everyone else is the evil "them"...got it.
Are you trying to pretend that the automobile traffic from the suburbs doesn't contribute to urban air pollution?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:17 AM

22,154 posts, read 16,152,860 times
Quote:
So now it's "us and them" and you are the righteous "we" and everyone else is the evil "them"...got it.
No one is evil and the3re are no us and them. I was saying y'all as those that choose to drive. I choose to live in a neighborhood with MARTA coverage so I can relax and sleep on the train to work. I never said you are evil or all car owners are evil.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:19 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,487,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
I've actually LIVED in 3 of those cities and the traffic here is just as bad. The difference between New York and DC is as ample as their public transportation is you can actually get ANYWHERE you need to go without HAVING to drive. Definitely not the case here. Now imagine how much worse their traffic would be if you couldn't take the subway to Brooklyn, or the Bronx or Long Island like you can't take it to Clayton, Douglas or Gwinnett here. And miss me with that one bus every 30 minutes crap. DC traffic is bad but would be even worse if you couldn't get ANYWHERE you needed to go on the Metro.

The bottom line is those cities actually have ample public transportation, we don't. And unlike here, the different counties/states/boroughs actually work together rather than having the "Marta will bring the wrong elements" attitudes.
Ample transportation but still worse or as bad traffic. Come one now, so that mean we can do MUCH better with half as much transit.

Cities with the worst traffic congestion - Mar. 4, 2011

We already do.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:21 AM
JPD

11,851 posts, read 14,465,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
You're barking up the wrong tree. That's like blaming a creek in the backyard for a flood when the raging river is what has breached its banks.

If you are really sick of pollution, then you should concentrate your efforts on the real polluters: Georgia Power and Hartsfield airport.

Or you could lobby the government to stop excluding diesel engines, government vehicles, and older vehicles from emission checks.

Better yet, why not lobby for a higher excise tax on gasoline that actually punishes drivers? Most of the TSPLOST is to improve roads, which will result in MORE cars on the road.

That's a pitiful excuse for supporting this lame tax.
At least you're willing to admit that building more roads does nothing to alleviate traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or