Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2012, 12:06 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,125,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
It should do that. Are you willing to help pay for it?
Yes, if projects were better thought out and met needs. I have said time and again, this isn't about money. It's about wasting money on a poorly thought out plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 12:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 1,876,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Please provide the data showing more people work OTP than ITP. Please also describe how effective transit would work in the sprawling, car-oriented low density areas OTP. Until you do that, stop spouting your opinion like it is fact.

Fulton County alone has more jobs than Barrow, Bartow, Carroll, Cherokee, Cowetta, Douglas, Fayette, Forsythe, Hall, Henry, Newton, Paulding, Rockdale, Spalding, and Walton counties COMBINED. The only counties in the region with a sizable number of jobs are Fulton, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett, and to a lesser degree Clayton. Fulton County is the only county in the entire region where the majority of people who live in the county also work in the same county. For most metro ATL counties, less than 25% of people live in the same county they work in.

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...12_Workers.pdf

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...s_Sept2010.pdf

Honestly, I've heard Arjay57 say most jobs are outside the perimiter in multiple other threads and thought it was true. I guess not.

Last edited by Onthemove2014; 06-07-2012 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,215,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onthemove2014 View Post
Honestly, I've heard Arjay57 say most jobs are outside the perimiter multiple in in other threads and thought it was true. I guess not.
I'm sure there are a lot more jobs OTP than ITP. There are a lot more people out there, considering it's an exponentially larger geographic area, but still heavily populated. Somebody has to work at all those McDonalds and convenience stores.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Somebody has to work at all those McDonalds and convenience stores.
Oh please. I guess that's why we need transit, so all the uneducated and unskilled people from Atlanta can get up here to work? See, two can play at that nonsense.

I posted a few weeks ago and listed the Fortune 500 companies with HQs in the Atlanta metro, and most were located OTP. I think Coca Cola and Sun Trust were the only ones located in the City of Atlanta. Look at north Fulton, Cobb/Cumberland, Norcross/P'Tree Corners/Gwinnett, Dunwoody, etc and you'll find where companies have been locating for the past 30 years.

Here is my post: http://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/982033-game-over-atlanta-guy-thinks-so-2.html#post14253753

Old 06-07-2012, 12:50 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,940,314 times
One thing to note is that the highest-wage jobs are in Fulton. The average wage in Fulton is 25% higher than the second highest-wage county, which is DeKalb.

Also, I really think an argument that Cumberland - Perimeter is better than Cumberland - Midtown is off base.

Compared to the Cumberland - Midtown route, the following is true of a Cumberland - Perimeter route:

Cumberland - Perimeter is FAR BETTER
Cumberland - Buckhead is SOMEWHAT WORSE
Cumberland - Midtown is MUCH WORSE
Cumberland - Downtown is MUCH WORSE
Cumberland - Airport is MUCH WORSE

Don't forget that Arts Center has service from BOTH the Red and Gold lines. Perimeter is only the Red Line. Which means using it to transfer to MARTA is far less convenient. Also, the service to walkable office districts--where people are the most willing to ride transit to in the first place--is vastly worse. Riding transit to Perimeter is a pretty mediocre experience; right out of the station you're on marginal sidewalks, crossing large suburban roads, and approaching offices that aren't designed to accommodate pedestrian access gracefully.

I'm actually surprised there's any controversy about this. CCT, which is completely run by Cobb County, runs routes for the purpose of serving Cobb County residents. Several of their routes converge on Arts Center Station, and they also serve Midtown, Civic Center, and Five Points.

How many go to Perimeter? Zero.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
One thing to note is that the highest-wage jobs are in Fulton. The average wage in Fulton is 25% higher than the second highest-wage county, which is DeKalb.
Right, but Fulton DOES NOT necessarily mean the City of Atlanta. Much of the business in Fulton is OTP.

Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,706,379 times
Also, to arts center allows Cobb residents easy access to the airport.
Quote:
Right, but Fulton DOES NOT necessarily mean the City of Atlanta
Some of y'all are Atlanta haters, what did the city do to get so much flack? Are you scared of sustainable, walkable, dense, development?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:57 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,215,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Oh please. I guess that's why we need transit, so all the uneducated and unskilled people from Atlanta can get up here to work? See, two can play at that nonsense.
LOL. I forgot to mention all the bible stores. Not counting free Jesus wafers and eternal glory, what do those folks get paid?

Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,533,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Where do get that half of Fulton County jobs are ITP? Also, the airport is ITP.
Well, there's no mystery to it. According to ARC's 2010 data the numbers are as follows.

Fulton had 671,998 jobs.

If you add up downtown (103,789), Midtown (93,571), Buckhead (87,387) and the airport (40,008), you get about half of those jobs (324,755) intown.

Obviously you've also got people working in stores, schools, gas stations, etc., which is why I suggested using a higher number (400,000). And I suggested including all 289,686 of DeKalb's jobs, although it's obvious that many of those jobs are OTP.

Even then, you wind up with 1/3 of the jobs ITP, and 2/3 of the jobs being OTP.

Again, here's the specific breakdown:

http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...-Forecasts.xls

Old 06-07-2012, 12:59 PM

3,695 posts, read 5,940,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Right, but Fulton DOES NOT necessarily mean the City of Atlanta. Much of the business in Fulton is OTP.
Yes. Clearly Cobb County would benefit from better transportation links to the high wage jobs throughout Fulton County. The question is which one serves that purpose the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta