Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:15 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,272,962 times

Advertisements

Since I'm posting here, I guess I should contribute to the actual topic...dare I say that, like most of the largest southern cities, that the most southern parts of town will be found in the blackest parts of town, as these are often the areas where you'll find the least amount of transplants (but not always). It seems strongest throughout the south and west sides. I think about places like Adamsville and Ben Hill and how they practically feel like Alabama.

Really, any pocket where you don't have a lot of transplants will obviously retain the most southernness. I simply never got "The South" in much of the northern half of the metro, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
That is one of the most frustrating things in the south. Everyone assumes you want that awful brown sugar water they call "sweet tea" and when I have iced tea in a restaurant (I get unsweet and add a sweetener) they tend to want to refill it with "sweet tea" and just assume you want that.
Over the years I've noticed that sweetened tea is no longer the default.

That's fine with me personally since I just don't care for it. And of course a lot of people need to avoid it for medical reasons. However, it seems like a good many places still offer pre-sweetened tea on request.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:21 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,142,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Over the years I've noticed that sweetened tea is no longer the default.
Maybe not as much in the Atlanta metro compared to 30 years ago, but if you go to Birmingham, Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and other southern towns and smaller restaurants, tea is usually assumed to be sweet tea.

In fact, at one place I was in recently, the signs on the tea dispenser read "Sweet Tea" and "Yankee Tea" (the un-sweet tea) which I thought was pretty funny.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM

635 posts, read 1,505,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
There's no CFA in Seattle? That sucks.
I know there is rumors of one in Bellingham at their university, but it is/was a chick-fil-a express or something like that, I don't know if it's still open or not because apparently three locals protested about them being closed on Sundays and all that crap.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 AM

31,997 posts, read 36,601,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Maybe not as much in the Atlanta metro compared to 30 years ago, but if you go to Birmingham, Charlotte, Raleigh, Jacksonville, and other southern towns and smaller restaurants, tea is usually assumed to be sweet tea.
I wouldn't doubt it. One of my brothers is a sweet tea drinker and he has several times expressed aggravation that he has to ask for it these days and that his daughters give him grief about it.

When I worked downtown back in the 70s we'd go up to the S&W or Macy's for lunch, and the tea they served was a colloidal suspension that leaned toward the solid on some days.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,804,850 times
When I first took the Mrs. to Georgia from TX in the late 80s, she asked the waitress at a restaurant in Marietta for regular tea with her order. When the tea came and it was sweet, she told the waitress she had asked for regular tea, not sweet tea. The waitress replied, "Honey, you're in the south. Regular tea is sweet tea."

I have noticed here in DFW that there are a large number of establishments that now sell regular southern styled brewed sweet tea. When I first came to TX in the 80s, I rarely if ever found a restaurant with sweet tea.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:42 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,280,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Within the northern triangle formed by 75 on the left and 85 on the right, would say you would have your greatest dilution of southern culture, from the core outward, at least until you pass Cobb, Fulton and Gwinett.
This. And, in general, the northern suburbs are northern....and the southern suburbs are southern...and anything OTP along I-20, in either direction, is southern.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,272,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
When I first took the Mrs. to Georgia from TX in the late 80s, she asked the waitress at a restaurant in Marietta for regular tea with her order. When the tea came and it was sweet, she told the waitress she had asked for regular tea, not sweet tea. The waitress replied, "Honey, you're in the south. Regular tea is sweet tea."

I have noticed here in DFW that there are a large number of establishments that now sell regular southern styled brewed sweet tea. When I first came to TX in the 80s, I rarely if ever found a restaurant with sweet tea.
Yes, sweet tea has been growing in popularity, on this side of the Mississippi. With the exception of East Texas and probably only northern Louisiana, sweet tea hasn't historically been a big deal out here. Despite being the south, that's one thing we've kind of raised an eyebrow at.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM

8,469 posts, read 14,927,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
This. And, in general, the northern suburbs are northern....and the southern suburbs are southern...and anything OTP along I-20, in either direction, is southern.
Well which Southern suburbs are speaking about? If it's the stuff like Fayette County, extreme South Fulton, or Peachtree City I'd agree.

If you are including places like East Point, College Park, Hapeville, or Clayton County not so much. Those areas are pretty heavily populated with Northern transplants, most especially from Michigan and New York. Hapeville and North Clayton are heavily populated by Latinos and Asians as well (which, growing up on the Southside really blows my mind). The odd thing about this is all is that the Southside of the city of Atlanta proper below Downtown is almost completely Southern natives.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM

14,727 posts, read 33,280,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well which Southern suburbs are speaking about? If it's the stuff like Fayette County, extreme South Fulton, or Peachtree City I'd agree.

If you are including places like East Point, College Park, Hapeville, or Clayton County not so much. Those areas are pretty heavily populated with Northern transplants, most especially from Michigan and New York. Hapeville and North Clayton are heavily populated by Latinos and Asians as well (which, growing up on the Southside really blows my mind). The odd thing about this is all is that the Southside of the city of Atlanta proper below Downtown is almost completely Southern natives.
I know that East Point and College Park are anomalies and have some nicer, more expensive homes, but Clayton County seems pretty southern to me. And, yes, the ones you listed are southern. However, with Peachtree City being an airline bedroom community, is it really that southern?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta