Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 03:30 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,194,298 times

Advertisements

What are the top 10 "most southern" and "least southern" areas of metro Atlanta, in your opinion? Make sure this applies to areas urban, suburban, or exurban in nature and not rural areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 03:54 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,776,034 times
Within the northern triangle formed by 75 on the left and 85 on the right, would say you would have your greatest dilution of southern culture, from the core outward, at least until you pass Cobb, Fulton and Gwinett.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:56 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,507,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
What are the top 10 "most southern" and "least southern" areas of metro Atlanta, in your opinion? Make sure this applies to areas urban, suburban, or exurban in nature and not rural areas.
I know this discussion has been had many times but to me it still comes down to what we define as southern. I'm a multi-generational native and to me my experience is as real and genuine as anybody else's. However, I never heard things like referring to soft drinks generically as Coke. And while I've certainly known plenty of folks with stereotypical southern accents, I've also known plenty who didn't talk like that. By the 50s we had a pretty substantial population from all over the place. My closest friends were a couple of brothers whose dad had been transferred here from Michigan, a really nice kid from Ohio who got killed in Vietnam, a guy from Brooklyn who talked like the Fonz and was a great running back, and two other brothers from Pine Mountain.

So much of the south as my parents had known it was becoming part of the great melting pot by the time I came along. I have mixed feelings about that, but that was the way it was, for me at least.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I know this discussion has been had many times but to me it still comes down to what we define as southern. I'm a multi-generational native and to me my experience is as real and genuine as anybody else's. However, I never heard things like referring to soft drinks generically as Coke. And while I've certainly known plenty of folks with stereotypical southern accents, I've also known plenty who didn't talk like that. By the 50s we had a pretty substantial population from all over the place. My closest friends were a couple of brothers whose dad had been transferred here from Michigan, a really nice kid from Ohio who got killed in Vietnam, a guy from Brooklyn who talked like the Fonz and was a great running back, and two other brothers from Pine Mountain.

So much of the south as my parents had known it was becoming part of the great melting pot by the time I came along. I have mixed feelings about that, but that was the way it was, for me at least.
In rural Meriwether, it was all Coke. We laughed at my nephew, who as a child would refer to Fanta as "Purple Coke" or "Orange Coke." Dr. Pepper = Pepper Coke, etc....

Old 04-01-2012, 04:39 PM

We used to say Douglas County was full of folks from Alabama as that was on their side of town to head back home to visit. I still find Douglas, Paulding and Bartow Counties to be VERY southern.

Old 04-01-2012, 04:50 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,521,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
least southern areas to me are Downtown, Midtown...thats really it the rest of the Atlanta metro is very southern. I like Lil 5 Points though.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:28 PM

562 posts, read 1,117,501 times
I'm going to give it a shot!

Least southern: (Not necessarily in this order)
East Cobb, and the immediate Cumberland Galleria area
Downtown
Midtown
Buckhead
Dunwoody
All of North Fulton except for the Roswell Town Square area and Milton
Gwinnett along the I-85 corridor out to the Gwinnett Place Area, Gwinnett along the Peachtree Parkway and Peachtree Industrial Corridors
Smokerise area of Tucker, a good chunk of Zip Code 30087 straddling the DeKalb/Gwinnett line, especially the Park Place commercial and office district

Most Southern: (Not necessarily in this order)
Douglas, Paulding, some parts of West Cobb
Clayton
Fayette, outside of Peachtree City
Rockdale
Newton
Walton
Henry, south of McDonough
Spalding, City of Griffin
Coweta, south of Newnan

Old 04-01-2012, 08:01 PM

8,465 posts, read 14,896,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
However, I never heard things like referring to soft drinks generically as Coke.
True story: I was at a work lunch function the other day when one my co-workers from South Georgia asked the server "What kind of Cokes do y'all? Do you have Dr. Pepper?" It was the first time I had ever heard the phrase spoken in my life, and very odd indeed.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:09 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,343,003 times
You, of all people, should know this already.
Being that you're an expert demographer and what not.

Surely you can walk into various walmarts and see for yourself.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:08 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
True story: I was at a work lunch function the other day when one my co-workers from South Georgia asked the server "What kind of Cokes do y'all? Do you have Dr. Pepper?" It was the first time I had ever heard the phrase spoken in my life, and very odd indeed.
When I see that map that depicts the areas where soft drinks are generally called "soda," "pop," "coke," etc., I'm generally surprised that there are areas of the South where people call them "coke." I have never, ever heard that before and where I was born and raised (SC), everybody calls them sodas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta