Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 03:51 PM

24 posts, read 68,067 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to go to Georgia Tech next fall. My family lived in Georgia for 8 years, but are now living in Mississippi (for the past 15 years). We have cousins and many friends in Georgia, and we have talked about transferring guardianship.

According to the Georgia Board of Regents:

A dependent student shall be classified as in-state for tuition purposes if such student’s United States court-appointed legal guardian has established and maintained domicile in the State of Georgia for at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term, provided that:

Such appointment was not made to avoid payment of out-of-state tuition; and,
The United States court-appointed legal guardian can provide clear evidence of having established and maintained domicile in the State of Georgia for a period of at least twelve (12) consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of classes for the term.

So, what exactly would constitute a reason other than to avoid OOS tuition?

Old 04-03-2012, 03:58 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,917,691 times
Your parents died, and you went to live with your cousins, and they were appointed to be your guardian.
You were in fostercare in another state, and you got adopted by someone in georgia.

Are two i can think of off the top of my head.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:07 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,341,754 times
Claim independence, get a job in GA and work for a year before starting at GT. Problem solved. Or go to an in-state school for a year or two, get really good grades, and transfer the last 2-3. You can roll up minimal debt if you take it later on.

Otherwise, you're always running into the "Such appointment was not made to avoid payment of out-of-state tuition" clause. Signing a kid over to a relative to shave tuition isn't a valid argument and short of a deficit of living in Miss, there's not a lot of good reasons for you to come to GA right when you finish HS. If your parents couldn't care for you or there's some good reason you have to move to GA (healthcare, HS education, etc). If you move far enough in advance and go to HS here, I'm pretty sure there's not going to be an issue but otherwise you're exactly the person they're excluding.

My parents were able to help one of my cousins b/c he came to live w/ us for HS vs. my other cousin who came to UGA/GT (from Taiwan) directly. They tried getting her a job here first but she didn't have a year prior to enrollment so her dad's stuck paying the 12k/semester (still a really good deal).

Old 04-03-2012, 04:09 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,352,188 times
Look at the Academic Common Market. Both Mississippi and Georgia are participants. If you are pursuing a degree that is not offered anywhere in your state then you may qualify for in-state tuition at an out-of-state institution.

My daughter's idiot adviser in high school either didn't know about this or didn't bother to mention it to us, so we were unable to take advantage of it.

http://www.sreb.org/page/1304/academ...on_market.html

Old 04-03-2012, 04:10 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,750,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cest524 View Post
I've been wanting to go to Georgia Tech next fall. My family lived in Georgia for 8 years, but are now living in Mississippi (for the past 15 years). We have cousins and many friends in Georgia, and we have talked about transferring guardianship.
You realize this affects how your parents claim you for tax purposes and health insurance etc. I can't imagine the financial risk and trade-offs are going to be worth it.

Old 04-03-2012, 04:22 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,816,045 times
If you have to ask how to skirt the system on a heavily trafficked website; it's probably a sign what you are doing is tip-toeing both legal and ethical boundries.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:07 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,979,428 times
You're going to go through a lot of legwork and expense and it's not going to work anyway. The Board of Regents is not that dumb.

The only way is to come to Georgia for a year and claim yourself as an independent. Then you have it.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:46 PM

230 posts, read 490,833 times
Just do it legally. There's no point trying to be dodgey and ending up doing something potentially illegal. In this day and age, who knows what the punishment/penalty can be.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:03 PM

24 posts, read 68,067 times
The main reason I was interested in that idea (besides cost, of course) is because I know someone that transferred guardianship from their parents in Georgia to their grandparents in Alabama and were able to go to the University of Alabama as an in-state student. I figured Georgia was stricter about things like that. I've applied to three schools for a degree in mechanical engineering: Georgia Tech, Colorado School of Mines, and Mississippi State. My first choice is Georgia Tech. My financial aid package was quite small there. I'm still waiting to hear back from the President's office, as they give out a few large scholarships (specifically the Provost Scholarship, which covers the difference between in-state and OOS tuition. It is very competitive, though, so I don't know if I'll get it). I also have another scholarship or two to hear back from in a few weeks. I'm just evaluating my options at each school. Thanks.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:21 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,750,558 times
If you are a top candidate, it is fairly easy to get scholarships to the Alabama schools that grant in-state tuition. I doubt they are that strict on the issue.

Georgia Tech on the other hand is very competitive and the BOR are protective of that status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta