Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 AM

14 posts, read 37,055 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to ATL this summer. I will be working at Emory and my husband will be in the Lenox Park area. Avoiding a long commute is my #1 priority (closely followed by great schools - I have a toddler and a child who will be starting middle school) so intown or "ITP" appears to be the best option for us.

While it appears there are many great choices for elementary schools in the area, it seems much more limited when looking at middle schools, which is what I'll need for my son. Is my read correct that the only real two choices for public middle schools are Inman and Renfroe? Any reason I'd choose one over the other? Am I missing any middle schools?

If it helps, while we'd rather not spend this much, we could afford a home up to 1million.

Finally, while I'd prefer public schools, private is not out of the question - but it looks like application deadlines for most private schools have passed. Any idea whether some private schools have late enrollment for late transfers/relocations?

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:59 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
The best Atlanta Public Schools are in the North Atlanta High School Cluster or Grady High School Cluster. Lenox Park is North Altanta as well as all of Buckhead. Midtown, Ansley Park, Virginia-Highland, Candler Park, Inman Park, Lake Claire, and Druid Hills are Grady cluster. Check Atlanta Public Schools / Overview for more information.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM

14 posts, read 37,055 times
Does the same impression hold for North Atlanta High? From afar, admittedly, greatschools had some lower ratings there, which had tilted me away from that stream.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
Just an FYI - Atlanta middle schools are currently overcrowded. APS is in the process of building a new North Atlanta High School and the existing school will become a new middle school.

The North Atlanta High School cluster is not the best location if you are working at Emory. In the event you consider this area you will want to keep this in mind. The new campus is north closer to Vinings

Here is a link

New Campus / New Campus

Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
I would get here to visit before school is out. Keep in mind that state testing is from about April 15th to Early May (schools have some discretion) and most schools won't welcome visitors during that time. It is spring break right now and the schools are closed, but will reopen on Monday.

I would take a couple of days and set up some appointments -- tour the schools and get a feel for whether they meet your expectations. If not, contacting privates may be worth it. Many don't welcome late applications from locals but will allow late applications from out of towners moving in.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:25 PM

403 posts, read 619,657 times
A lot of people in the Buckhead area opt for private school after elementry school. I live very near Lenox Park. If you choose to look at homes in that area make sure you don't end up in DeKalb county (Lenox Park and the ATT complex are just across the county line) or you will end up poor quality schools.

All the private schools mail admissions decisions for the fall this Friday. If you call around to the schools over the next couple of weeks you may find some openings although probably not at the most elite schools e.g. Westminster, Lovett etc.

Old 04-05-2012, 06:17 PM

461 posts, read 1,068,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAtownBound View Post
While it appears there are many great choices for elementary schools in the area, it seems much more limited when looking at middle schools, which is what I'll need for my son. Is my read correct that the only real two choices for public middle schools are Inman and Renfroe? Any reason I'd choose one over the other? Am I missing any middle schools?

Thanks in advance!!
Inman is much more traditional in curriculum approach. Renfroe is an IB school, curriculum and grading are very different than what you and your child are going to be used to if you are coming from a traditional background. Also, Renfroe is smaller in size than Inman. Both are wonderful schools.
Henderson Middle would be another option worth looking at in Dekalb.
Good luck!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:27 PM

18 posts, read 53,520 times
we moved here just under two years ago. schools were very important but I was pretty fearful of the crazyness that is Atlanta public schools.

I would suggest checking out Cliff Valley School, which has been K-6 & is expanding to k-8. Its private, but as it is growing there might still be space available. I've been very happy with it for my 3 kids.

we live intown & inman would be our home school, but I am still glad we opted for private. Renfroe is in decatur, so you need to move into the City of Decatur (not decatur - dekalb) to be able to go there.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 PM

115 posts, read 424,190 times
Henderson Middle feeds into Lakeside HS. Doesn't look like people love it on great schools, but the elementaries and HS are strong, so it may be worth a look.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 PM

87 posts, read 107,029 times
APS schools are terrible. Send your kid to a private school. If you're willing to plunk down 1 million on a house but won't spend 12k a year on your kid, your priorities are messed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta