U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM

355 posts, read 189,571 times
^^Good point on integrating existing stations.
Another area with a huge need for improvement is the Inman Park Station. If you're exiting to go to the Edgewood Shopping area, you have to walk a large distance out of the way down a raised walkway that goes over to a parking lot, then you have to backtrack on the sidewalk. It would really improve pedestrian access if they simply put in one set of access stairs on the east side of the station.
This is where I'm talking about:
inman park marta station, atlanta - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM

6,854 posts, read 3,410,538 times
Inman Park Station needs a stairway going east to prevent the double back.

Old 04-05-2012, 01:34 PM
JPD

7,448 posts, read 7,388,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post
Another area with a huge need for improvement is the Inman Park Station. If you're exiting to go to the Edgewood Shopping area, you have to walk a large distance out of the way down a raised walkway that goes over to a parking lot, then you have to backtrack on the sidewalk. It would really improve pedestrian access if they simply put in one set of access stairs on the east side of the station.
Yeah, that can be a long walk. If I were just going to the Lowes at ERD, I'd probaly get off at Edgewood/Candler Park. It's probably a longer walk, but it's more pleasant, mostly shaded walk and you don't have to cross any major roads.

Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,420,392 times
Quote:
Excellent point... A good staircase + new streetscapes + signage and enhanced sidewalks for just 2 blocks would make a major shopping area much more accessible and transit friendly.

Perhaps I shouldn't be saying this, since I'm not that familiar with the east line. I also consider that the go-to station for Little 5 points, but it is a sizeable walk, but might be worth it for an out-of-town traveler wanting to explore without a car. Can we improve signage in L5P, at the station, along Euclid Ave, and the Freedom Pkwy trail to make it seem more apparent/accessible?

or is that wishful thinking at that distance?

Old 04-05-2012, 02:29 PM
JPD

7,448 posts, read 7,388,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Perhaps I shouldn't be saying this, since I'm not that familiar with the east line. I also consider that the go-to station for Little 5 points, but it is a sizeable walk, but might be worth it for an out-of-town traveler wanting to explore without a car. Can we improve signage in L5P, at the station, along Euclid Ave, and the Freedom Pkwy trail to make it seem more apparent/accessible?

or is that wishful thinking at that distance?
That's a good idea that would be easy and cheap to do. The walk is quite pleasant if you go through the park between the station and L5P.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:55 PM

13,802 posts, read 8,182,323 times
Quote:
Another area with a huge need for improvement is the Inman Park Station.
That's a great point!

Another station that seriously needs attention is East Lake. Maybe they have changed things, but when we lived in Candler Park, to get out of the station I'd have to walk across the bridge over DeKalb Avenue, down the stairs and into the parking lot. In those days there was no sidewalk on that side of the street. So you'd have to dodge cars and walk through the parking lot itself to the exit on the west side of the lot.

At that point there was a little skinny sidewalk over to DeKalb Avenue, but then you had to cross the railroad track. There's no sidewalk at all there, no marked crossing, no signal and no lighting. Even after you cross the tracks and get back on the sidewalk, it's one of those that's about 3' wide with no buffer between pedestrians and the cars flying by on DeKalb Ave. And it had telephone poles sticking up in the middle of the sidewalk, making it even more inhospitable.

Not a place you really wanted to traverse if the weather was inclement and/or it was dark and/or if you had any kind of physical limitation.

Google Maps

Old 04-05-2012, 06:53 PM

6,254 posts, read 3,605,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
secondly, let's talk about places where infill stations could be added. i think a crucial area that isn't being served is west peachtree at fifth street— the new station would be tech square and would provide almost immediate access to georgia tech via the fifth street bridge.

other spots that could use a new station are at oglethorpe university, which is currently a mile away from the 'oglethorpe' station.

thoughts?
New underground stations are unlikely. They are really expensive and technically difficult. It would be better to spend that money extending the system instead.

Oglethorpe paid for the station and sign change as it was just Brookhaven. Oglethorpe only has 1,000 students and I don't see a justification to build a station for it. Give that money to Oglethorpe instead and they can put in a shuttle.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:15 PM

9,862 posts, read 5,439,519 times
It was a missed opportunity on MARTA's part to not tie land use development with the creation of stations when the system was first built. However, there's got to be a way to do this now. One problem I see is that too many stations have surface parking. At the very least, the ones in the city need to interact with the surrounding environment a la the downtown Decatur station.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM

6,401 posts, read 6,229,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It was a missed opportunity on MARTA's part to not tie land use development with the creation of stations when the system was first built. However, there's got to be a way to do this now. One problem I see is that too many stations have surface parking. At the very least, the ones in the city need to interact with the surrounding environment a la the downtown Decatur station.
I think MARTA does, and in some instances such as Lindbergh, has sought more infill around stations. I am even old enough to remember (gasp) how that after the East Point station was to be rebuilt, the Downtown area would see reinvestment and redevelopment. Sadly, those plans largely never came to be even though Downtown East Point is laid out much like Decatur proper.

The problem is that MARTA doesn't have much control of anything (even their own budget), so they cannot put in place what kind of development they want to see around the stations. It has always been left up to the city(s) and private business to step in actually do the building.

Another big problem is that zoning ordinances vary wildly throughout the MARTA network, and there would be has to be consensus across the board. Since there are stations in Fulton, Dekalb, the City of Atlanta, the city of Chamblee, the city of Doraville, the City of East Point, the City of College Park, the city of Decatur...you get the point.

I don't see that as an insurmountable challenge though. I think prior to the Recession, the City and other intown communities finally "got" how important transit oriented development is. Until the money is there, there isn't much that can be done.

In the interim, we should take a page from Ryan Gravel and support studies with solid, feasible, plans to present to the world. It's not impossible in this age of the Internet to affect real change via social media.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM

13,802 posts, read 8,182,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think MARTA does, and in some instances such as Lindbergh, has sought more infill around stations. I am even old enough to remember (gasp) how that after the East Point station was to be rebuilt, the Downtown area would see reinvestment and redevelopment. Sadly, those plans largely never came to be even though Downtown East Point is laid out much like Decatur proper.
Well, there are detailed land use and TOD zoning requirements around several MARTA stations. Lindbergh, for example, is governed by SPI-15, Lenox and Buckhead are covered by SPI-12, Ashby and Vine City by SPI-11, Midtown by SPI-16, and so forth.

And those aren't just requests -- they are the law and they cover not only the immediate vicinity of the stations but significant areas around them. They were hammered out by MARTA, city planning, GDOT, Ga. Power, the surrounding businesses and residents and other stakeholders. The SPIs have had an enormous influence on what has developed around the stations. It wasn't that long ago that Midtown was a sleepy and somewhat seedy section of town, the biggest thing at Lindbergh was a K-Mart and Terminus was the site of a Buick dealership.

I don't think the lack of development around some stations is due to a lack of zoning or to the lack of interest by MARTA. There simply hasn't been the demand. For better or worse, metro Atlanta has tended to gravitate north, although that could certainly change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta