U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,618,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Yeah, the city officials started to crack down on Buckhead Village then. Police started harassing people 2 O'clock sharp. Atl also recently brought the club closing time to 2:00 (or 3) a.m. around that time.

The BMF crew were always present in the ATL nightlife and after the shootout outside of a Buckhead club in late '03, ATL nightlife was never the same.

I've been looking at condos in Atlantic Station lately, they're going for ridiculously low prices. I wonder what the downside is to living in Atlantic Station if u can find a deal low enough that the condo can't possibly drop any lower.

Anyone know what types of residents have been moving into the various condos there? I've been looking at "12 Atlantic Station"
It's 3am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 02:46 PM

8,314 posts, read 10,265,111 times
Quote:
So, the bar owners started advertising on urban radio stations to get business on other nights of the week. They specifically, advertised that "Sunday Night is your night in Buckhead."
This is a very interesting tidbit to me, thank you for that insight! I watched the demographic of Buckhead change, but didn't know that this was why.

As for the question, yes, 12 Atlantic Station is ridiculously cheap.

I hear that is attracts quite a low class clientele and has a lot of problems. However, I don't know if that is true, because lots of people have said that AS overall is ghetto. I have a really low threshold "ghettometer" and I don't like things that are the slightest bit nasty or run down, and I have never seen any kind of ghetto side to Atlantic Station at large. So this reputation may be overblown as well, though there is probably some truth to it because it is very consistent. I have heard it a lot and from different kinds of people.

The biggest issue is you probably won't be able to find a bank that will even write you a mortgage for Twelve Atlantic Station anyway. It's considered that toxic. I'm not exactly sure why.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:31 PM

616 posts, read 910,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post

I hear that is attracts quite a low class clientele and has a lot of problems. However, I don't know if that is true, because lots of people have said that AS overall is ghetto. I have a really low threshold "ghettometer" and I don't like things that are the slightest bit nasty or run down, and I have never seen any kind of ghetto side to Atlantic Station at large. So this reputation may be overblown as well, though there is probably some truth to it because it is very consistent. I have heard it a lot and from different kinds of people.

Agree about AS. I don't know if it is true but it is widely thought that the place has turned ghetto. Even if it isn't true yet, a lot of times perception becomes reality in these types of situations.

Old 08-08-2012, 03:45 PM

Why isnt anyone talking about this?

OliverMcMillan restarts Buckhead Atlanta

The San Diego-based developer began clearing construction debris today on a parcel between Buckhead Avenue and East Paces Ferry Road that will become 85,000 square feet of stores and restaurants, including the new home of French luxury retailer Hermes.

Hermes already has a temporary store on Buckhead Avenue. The parcel will also include two 12-story apartment towers, 15,000 square feet of loft office space, and parking deck with about 1,400 spaces. That will form the core of the 8-acre project near the intersection of Peachtree and Pharr roads. Construction could be complete toward the end of 2013.
OliverMcMillan has a number of additional retailers already signed to leases, but it’s not releasing their names, said Hunter Richardson, project manager of Buckhead Atlanta. Those announcements will come later this year, he said. OliverMcMillan has relationships with luxury goods giants, including LVMH Mot Hennessy Louis Vuitton, which controls more than 50 of the world’s most prestigious brands.It’s financing the initial construction with its own equity, a decision it made “months and months ago,” Richardson said. Lenders have remained cautious about originating new construction loans for mixed-use projects, especially those with large amounts of retail, one of the hardest hit segments in the slow economy. “We are dealing with the realities of 2012,” Richardson said.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Why isnt anyone talking about this?
It might be because this development has been discussed so many times that nobody will actually believe it is going to be finished until it is.

Or it could be because it's really difficult to get excited over a Hermes or Louis Vuitton.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM

29,361 posts, read 26,317,093 times
Quote:
It might be because this development has been discussed so many times that nobody will actually believe it is going to be finished until it is.
I'm surprised people think this project is going slowly. It's been moving at warp speed compared to a lot of developments around town.

Old 08-08-2012, 04:54 PM

Maybe it's hard to get excited over a development when you don't know who the tenants are going to be.

How soon before a development is open for business do they usually announce the tenants? I thought it was about a year or so.

My bet is there aren't any tenants that have really signed on as definites yet. What would be the marketing strategy behind withholding their names?

Old 08-09-2012, 09:14 AM

449 posts, read 989,170 times
Quote:
This is a very interesting tidbit to me, thank you for that insight! I watched the demographic of Buckhead change, but didn't know that this was why.

The biggest issue is you probably won't be able to find a bank that will even write you a mortgage for Twelve Atlantic Station anyway. It's considered that toxic. I'm not exactly sure why.
Thx for the info, I just read elsewhere about the crime in Atlantic Station and other issues. Although I've never seen rampant crime or anything remotely "ghetto" in that area as well, I agree with you and sure some activity occurs when the lights go down in that area.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL_II_DMV View Post
Thx for the info, I just read elsewhere about the crime in Atlantic Station and other issues. Although I've never seen rampant crime or anything remotely "ghetto" in that area as well, I agree with you and sure some activity occurs when the lights go down in that area.
Crime issue is bs imo. I'm sure AS has regular crime but its no different than crime in other shopping districts. Atlantic Station hired more officers and they have more security cameras. Business has increase in the majority of the atores in Atlantic Station in the past two years because of these and other changes

Old 08-09-2012, 09:34 AM

449 posts, read 989,170 times
I'm sure that the area isn't as bad as some describe. I'm gonna check it out for myself when I'm back down in ATL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or