Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:08 PM

4,688 posts, read 7,983,187 times

Advertisements

1. How was the old Buckhead Village during the day? I always went at night so I don't remember

2. Once buckhead Atlanta is completed hopefully by 2014, do you think they will be the premier outdoor shopping district or will Atlantic Station continue to have the crown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 12:47 PM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
During the day is was more of a place where you drove to whatever business you wanted to go to. It wasn't a pedestrian zone like at night because the retail isn't all packed closely together like the nightlife was. If you only saw it during the day, you probably never would have imagined what it became at night.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:50 PM

425 posts, read 1,750,398 times
I honestly cannot tell the difference between Atlantic Station and malls like the mall of GA when it comes to product offering. So to me it was never a "premier" spot for anything. Also, the buckhead development isn't really competing with AS, especially if you factor in some of the would-be tenants.

Old 04-09-2012, 12:57 PM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
1. How was the old Buckhead Village during the day? I always went at night so I don't remember
My sister used to work at a salon there at the height of the Buckhead village party scene and during the day it wasn't all that different from how it is today. The only exception would be there were more restaurants in that area then, thus they had a larger lunch time presence of office workers in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
2. Once buckhead Atlanta is completed hopefully by 2014, do you think they will be the premier outdoor shopping district or will Atlantic Station continue to have the crown?
I think they'll end up being either equal or Atlantic Station will still be ahead. Aside from all other ills of Atlantic Station, it has the best retail options for miles around. "Buckhead Atlanta" will still have to compete with Lenox and Phipps.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:40 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,698,706 times
AS already has the momentum and is a short shuttle bus ride from MARTA. It will be hard for Buckhead, Atlanta to complete with Lenox. Should have just left all the clubs and bars.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM

561 posts, read 774,831 times
I wish they would have left them in tact too, but the NIMBYs (and city officials) killed the clubs/bars. Mostly everyone loved the clubs/bars but the actual residents themselves. Atlanta had some of the best nightlife in the country during those days. I still remember people from other states talking about how exciting and fun Buckhead was back then. It was a "must-visit" destination for people who came in town and wanted to have fun.

Hell, before I lived here, I loved just hanging in Buckhead and bar hopping. We need something else like this experience in the city.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:10 PM

31,993 posts, read 36,521,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossberg View Post
I wish they would have left them in tact too, but the NIMBYs (and city officials) killed the clubs/bars. Mostly everyone loved the clubs/bars but the actual residents themselves.
Things were not that bad until some of the patrons started shooting people and dealing drugs. Even then the locals were coping until the body count reached 10 or so.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:16 PM

906 posts, read 1,739,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Things were not that bad until some of the patrons started shooting people and dealing drugs. Even then the locals were coping until the body count reached 10 or so.
What years did the shootings and drug dealing begin? I'm trying to get a better feel for Buckhead before all the clubs closed down, as most of that stuff happened before I moved down here. (Actually, when did all the club closings occur?)

Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,052,667 times
They began to close out in 2006/2007.

I first arrived in Atlanta in 2004 right before everything in the Buckhead village was aquired for Streets if Buckhead. I never got a chance to go to any of the bars or clubs there but I remember that whole area being gridlocked every weekend with some of the most ridiculous cars I had ever seen (some had rims that were worth more than the car itself) and hip hop being blared everywhere. There hasn't been anything similar in Atlanta since.

I think Buckhead Atlanta will be the outdoor equivalent of Phipps (not very busy but so upscale that if a store makes one sale, they just made enough money to pay their rent on the space) while Atlantic Station will be like Lenox (not as upscale as Phpps but still really nice and much more busy).

Old 04-10-2012, 12:19 AM

9,008 posts, read 13,967,513 times
Quote:
but I remember that whole area being gridlocked every weekend with some of the most ridiculous cars I had ever seen (some had rims that were worth more than the car itself) and hip hop being blared everywhere. There hasn't been anything similar in Atlanta since.
This only happened toward the end of Buckhead Village's life.

In the early/mid 90s, I understand it was pretty much exclusively white frat boys and sorority girls. At least, that's what it was famous for. When I first moved here in 1996, I never even went. I avoided Buckhead because I had no interest in hanging out with these people.

I went for the first time in 2000 and thought it was great. I found it to be a little bit mixed. It was mostly white, but not just frat boys, there were all types represented. There was some diversity as well, but it was still college types, people in college and others recently out. There certainly wasn't much of the "never been to college" crowd.

Over the next few years, it changed over time, slowly becoming more populated with the non-college and non-college friendly crowd and hip hop became more predominant. It eventually got to the point where whites were a minority, which was probably due to the escalating crime problem and around this time more and more was beginning to happen in midtown.

Eventually, the city got so sick of the problems that they shut it down. Actually, they were under pressure from a few outspoken business leaders who formed a community improvement district there. APD had long since been fatigued and given up patrolling Buckhead anyway, though, so it's no wonder that crime got out of hand. They tried to implement "no cruising" rules, but it didn't work and that's why you saw those ridiculous cars.

Seeing the opportunity to line their own pockets, the city passed an ordinance forcing bars to stop serving at 2:30am and close at 3:00am, but of course they gave a special exception to Underground because the city owned it. Underground, though, was such a trainwreck that even alcohol exclusivity for an hour couldn't convince people to go there, so it just folded or became whatever useless thing it is today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta