U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
 
455 posts, read 967,305 times
Reputation: 211

Advertisements

I had a hard time understanding the whole unincorporated S. Forsyth thing myself. Coming from Ny, every area of the state was either inside the limits of a town, village or city. Here in S. Forsyth, there are parts called unincorporated where we are not actually in a town or city, hence, the lower property taxes as we don't pay city or town taxes. I live in unincorporated S. Forsyth but my mailing address is Suwanee but I don't actually live in the city of Suwanee as that is in Gwinnett County. To make matters more confusing, others that attend the same elementary school live in unincorporated S. Forsyth but have a Cumming mailing address. Where you are looking must just be unincorporated S. Forsyth that uses a mailing address of Alpharetta.

Don't pay much attention to the peeps who claim S. Forsyth is lowly compared to N. Fulton. Just pay attention to the schools and be happy if you settle in S. Forsyth that your taxes will be less. I know some on here like to say that we aren't as desirable but the fact that you pointed out about the schools will only continue to make this area desirable. The old school Atlantans care where they live more than the rest of us northerners coming in. We want great schools (not that N. Fulton doesn't have them as well) and other things (newer homes, golf communities, lower taxes) that bring some of us to S. Forsyth.

Take what we all say with a grain of salt and do your own research that matters to you! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-10-2012, 05:40 PM
 
Location: ๏̯͡๏﴿ Gwinnett-That's a Civil Matter-County
2,117 posts, read 5,096,990 times
Reputation: 3497
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalor View Post
Any pointers, warnings,
Yeah, the drivers.

Another thing I'd warn you about is if there is any wooded areas left over there, count on them being bulldozed, flattened and becoming new subdivisions or strip malls shortly after you buy the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,308,853 times
Reputation: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
Yeah, the drivers.

Another thing I'd warn you about is if there is any wooded areas left over there, count on them being bulldozed, flattened and becoming new subdivisions or strip malls shortly after you buy the place.
I wanted to give you rep points for this but I have given you too many!

I hate all of the generic strip malls in S. Forsyth. I have heard people say everything new looks generic, but look at how many new things in Atlanta do not look generic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,309 times
Reputation: 17
Well, I guess I can revise my question a bit - if I don't care about living in "proper" Alpharetta, would the McFarland / Union Hill area be a good area to call home? Personally I like the idea of lower taxes but still being close enough to the amenities off of Windward... I mapped it out and the Publix/Kroger are closer off of Windward to the neighborhood I'm looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 PM
 
Location: atlanta
3,966 posts, read 4,560,126 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalor View Post
Well, I guess I can revise my question a bit - if I don't care about living in "proper" Alpharetta, would the McFarland / Union Hill area be a good area to call home? Personally I like the idea of lower taxes but still being close enough to the amenities off of Windward... I mapped it out and the Publix/Kroger are closer off of Windward to the neighborhood I'm looking at.
it dependsó are you going to be north of mcfarland or south of mcfarland? i'm warning you, i did live there and know the neighbourhood. there are parts that you simply don't want to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 07:50 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,309 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it dependsó are you going to be north of mcfarland or south of mcfarland? i'm warning you, i did live there and know the neighbourhood. there are parts that you simply don't want to live in.
The neighborhood is just south of McFarland at the intersection of McFarland and Union Hill. Is that one of the rougher areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
 
Location: MMU->ABE->ATL->ASH
9,004 posts, read 16,144,131 times
Reputation: 9676
NO...

Will Swing by there Thursday, to check out where you said. Been by it before but I don't think I've been inthe sub/div.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
 
Location: atlanta
3,966 posts, read 4,560,126 times
Reputation: 3211
i checked out the area you were talking about, and that's a newer subdivision. fortunately it doesn't connect through into one of the rougher areas, but they're still there, so you shouldn't have any problems immediately around your house

may i ask, is there any particular reason you want to live in southwest forsyth county? it is a whole different thing than living in smyrna, there's a lot of good old boy mentality, racism and whatnot, and it's really far from everything else. in my entire time living there i hated it, and i didn't know anyone who really liked it there, it just seems to be a place people live out of necessity rather than desire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:02 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,309 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i checked out the area you were talking about, and that's a newer subdivision. fortunately it doesn't connect through into one of the rougher areas, but they're still there, so you shouldn't have any problems immediately around your house

may i ask, is there any particular reason you want to live in southwest forsyth county? it is a whole different thing than living in smyrna, there's a lot of good old boy mentality, racism and whatnot, and it's really far from everything else. in my entire time living there i hated it, and i didn't know anyone who really liked it there, it just seems to be a place people live out of necessity rather than desire.
We started looking in that area due to proximity to Alpharetta/Windward and schools that seem really positive according to schooldigger and greatschools. The houses were also beautiful and relatively affordable. The people we met in the neighborhood didn't strike me as "good ol boy", but I definitely didn't meet everyone. I've noticed a lot of homes off of exit 13, but it felt even further removed from Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:23 AM
 
Location: atlanta
3,966 posts, read 4,560,126 times
Reputation: 3211
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfalor View Post
We started looking in that area due to proximity to Alpharetta/Windward and schools that seem really positive according to schooldigger and greatschools. The houses were also beautiful and relatively affordable. The people we met in the neighborhood didn't strike me as "good ol boy", but I definitely didn't meet everyone. I've noticed a lot of homes off of exit 13, but it felt even further removed from Atlanta.
it's an odd mix really— but the far southwestern portion of forsyth county is majority good old boys and hispanic— that's the portion you're talking about living in. realize that you'll be zoned for forsyth county schools, and if you live in a majority hispanic area, you'll most likely be going to an inferior school— not that the hispanic children perform poorly (many of them are bi-lingual and really bright), but the county has racist and elitist leanings and has attempted to 'resegregate' the schools based on racial lines— check out the school population of west forsyth high and lambert, the two new high schools in upper-class white areas, and south forsyth high school, where they've tried to move all the hispanic kids to. of course, you could never *prove* this stuff goes on, but i recommend you take a look and i think you'll see what i'm talking about.


as for the rest of forsyth county, the southeastern portion and places around exit 13 and exit 14 are your typical suburbia, nearly all white, upper income, not a lot of walkable areas or nightlife. the western portion around post road and castleberry, is even less diverse and more exclusive than the southeastern area. outside of the rough areas i mentioned, which are bad for other reasons, the rest is very stale and boring and far away from everything— unless you really desire a social climbing, materialistic ultra-suburban lifestyle (i'm not stretching the truth about some of these places), but would still like to live in the suburbs, OTP, i'd recommend intown alpharetta or roswell. there's more to do, more accepting, it's more diverse and the crime is very low.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top