U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,307,851 times
Reputation: 496

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's an odd mix really— but the far southwestern portion of forsyth county is majority good old boys and hispanic— that's the portion you're talking about living in. realize that you'll be zoned for forsyth county schools, and if you live in a majority hispanic area, you'll most likely be going to an inferior school— not that the hispanic children perform poorly (many of them are bi-lingual and really bright), but the county has racist and elitist leanings and has attempted to 'resegregate' the schools based on racial lines— check out the school population of west forsyth high and lambert, the two new high schools in upper-class white areas, and south forsyth high school, where they've tried to move all the hispanic kids to. of course, you could never *prove* this stuff goes on, but i recommend you take a look and i think you'll see what i'm talking about.


as for the rest of forsyth county, the southeastern portion and places around exit 13 and exit 14 are your typical suburbia, nearly all white, upper income, not a lot of walkable areas or nightlife. the western portion around post road and castleberry, is even less diverse and more exclusive than the southeastern area. outside of the rough areas i mentioned, which are bad for other reasons, the rest is very stale and boring and far away from everything— unless you really desire a social climbing, materialistic ultra-suburban lifestyle (i'm not stretching the truth about some of these places), but would still like to live in the suburbs, OTP, i'd recommend intown alpharetta or roswell. there's more to do, more accepting, it's more diverse and the crime is very low.
You have such great posts, I wanted to rep you again but couldn't bec. I have given you so many!

I am not surprised Forsyth would be gerrymandering the school boundaries, after all we are talking about Forsyth County! They still had racial demonstrations in the late 80's.

I definitely agree with you if you want to live OTP and north stay away from Forsyth County. Forsyth County is the highest income county in Georgia but that is really because it lacks economic diversity. Look at the houses on the market for the highest income county they do not look that unique or special. They look like generic mass produced houses. It is extremely materialistic and all about keeping up with the joneses.

Basically the style of all the houses in Forsyth could be described as faux wealth. People in the far out suburbs(really exurbs) of Atlanta are known to be very snobby. People talk about the social scene in Buckhead, Ansley Park, Druid Hills, etc. as being intense but I have heard it is way worse up there(it is actually not bad in town people are very accepting). The reason being most likely is that people there tend to have good incomes yet low net worths so they are constantly trying to prove what they have to each other. It is a very competitive lifestyle you could say.

I would not be shocked if the kids were more snobby there when compared with students who attend the "elite" private schools in town. (I have heard things about the schools from people I know who live in the mass produced suburbs/exurbs.)

For example the Vickery which is in West Forsyth with a Cumming address is much less generic then the rest of West Forsyth but there is nothing there. It is like dropping Glenwood Park in the middle of nowhere. I think it is hilarious they have a road named Lullwater Rd. because they want to be like Druid Hills. (Which will never happen!)

So if you want to go north of Atlanta go to Alpharetta or Roswell like bryantm3 recommended.

Funny story yesterday my wife emailed me a story about the real housewives of Atlanta(or the real housewives of Atlanta, its suburbs, and exurbs theres a thread for that I think) ; it was about how the people at the AJC could not find NeNe's divorce but, they looked in all the major Atlanta metro counties. Turns out it was filed in Forsyth, and the reporter did not think to look there! I laughed! So I guess Forsyth is not as important to Atlanta as some like to believe.

I like how people in Forsyth are always concerned about being in South Forsyth.... lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2012, 06:39 AM
 
55 posts, read 123,073 times
Reputation: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
You have such great posts, I wanted to rep you again but couldn't bec. I have given you so many!

I am not surprised Forsyth would be gerrymandering the school boundaries, after all we are talking about Forsyth County! They still had racial demonstrations in the late 80's.

I definitely agree with you if you want to live OTP and north stay away from Forsyth County. Forsyth County is the highest income county in Georgia but that is really because it lacks economic diversity. Look at the houses on the market for the highest income county they do not look that unique or special. They look like generic mass produced houses. It is extremely materialistic and all about keeping up with the joneses.

Basically the style of all the houses in Forsyth could be described as faux wealth. People in the far out suburbs(really exurbs) of Atlanta are known to be very snobby. People talk about the social scene in Buckhead, Ansley Park, Druid Hills, etc. as being intense but I have heard it is way worse up there(it is actually not bad in town people are very accepting). The reason being most likely is that people there tend to have good incomes yet low net worths so they are constantly trying to prove what they have to each other. It is a very competitive lifestyle you could say.

I would not be shocked if the kids were more snobby there when compared with students who attend the "elite" private schools in town. (I have heard things about the schools from people I know who live in the mass produced suburbs/exurbs.)

For example the Vickery which is in West Forsyth with a Cumming address is much less generic then the rest of West Forsyth but there is nothing there. It is like dropping Glenwood Park in the middle of nowhere. I think it is hilarious they have a road named Lullwater Rd. because they want to be like Druid Hills. (Which will never happen!)

So if you want to go north of Atlanta go to Alpharetta or Roswell like bryantm3 recommended.

Funny story yesterday my wife emailed me a story about the real housewives of Atlanta(or the real housewives of Atlanta, its suburbs, and exurbs theres a thread for that I think) ; it was about how the people at the AJC could not find NeNe's divorce but, they looked in all the major Atlanta metro counties. Turns out it was filed in Forsyth, and the reporter did not think to look there! I laughed! So I guess Forsyth is not as important to Atlanta as some like to believe.

I like how people in Forsyth are always concerned about being in South Forsyth.... lol.

You are totally stereotyping and judging, which makes you ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 07:24 AM
 
230 posts, read 394,325 times
Reputation: 85
I agree with everything that GeorgiaLakeSearch & Bryantm3 said. Unless you are moving to Forysth for a job, I would not recommend it. I know that it is a personal choice, but why be so far away from everything? Again, I back Bryant's post about Roswell and Alpharetta. Roswell is nice and parts of Alpharetta have started maturing.

On the topic of snobbery, I fully back GeorgiaLakeSearch. All these cases have happened in J.C or S. Forysth. Once, people (high schoolers) made fun of the car I was driving, a 10 year old camry, even though i'm still in uni. Another time an acquaintance came over and called my parents house small. IMO, 3,500 sf is more than enough for 3 people.

Snobbery occurs no matter where one lives, but, to be candid, I have only experienced it from that particular crowd. Most of my friends live in either Buckhead, Dunwoody, or S.S. We all drive cars under $20,000. We never had an issue with what the others drove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
 
1,197 posts, read 3,356,356 times
Reputation: 297
Dont know for sure. But some of the school stats may outdated. Lambert High was started in 2009 or 2010. Greatschools has not been updated (student demographic info) in a few years, when I last checked a couple of months back.

IMO, there is usually no "valid" reason to move so far away from the core city (other than newer / larger). It might work for now (current job etc.). But in the long run, it may be better to go with Roswell/Alpharetta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:30 AM
 
Location: 30328
425 posts, read 1,560,245 times
Reputation: 152
the said kid that poked fun for living in a 3500sf house must be from an area without much human interaction as, even as a highs school student, I wanted to live in downtown LA flat over any large home in Orange County. That 5000 sf house in Forsyth, after short selling, how much house will you get in Ansley Park or Morningside? a fixer upper?





Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
I agree with everything that GeorgiaLakeSearch & Bryantm3 said. Unless you are moving to Forysth for a job, I would not recommend it. I know that it is a personal choice, but why be so far away from everything? Again, I back Bryant's post about Roswell and Alpharetta. Roswell is nice and parts of Alpharetta have started maturing.

On the topic of snobbery, I fully back GeorgiaLakeSearch. All these cases have happened in J.C or S. Forysth. Once, people (high schoolers) made fun of the car I was driving, a 10 year old camry, even though i'm still in uni. Another time an acquaintance came over and called my parents house small. IMO, 3,500 sf is more than enough for 3 people.

Snobbery occurs no matter where one lives, but, to be candid, I have only experienced it from that particular crowd. Most of my friends live in either Buckhead, Dunwoody, or S.S. We all drive cars under $20,000. We never had an issue with what the others drove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: 30328
425 posts, read 1,560,245 times
Reputation: 152
Well, then, please educate us as we are all ears and would hate to hold onto old stereotypes if we can help it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Momdog View Post
You are totally stereotyping and judging, which makes you ignorant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: cumming, ga
55 posts, read 201,270 times
Reputation: 32
to each his own. we are not rich. we are not snobby. we enjoy the lower taxes of forsyth county and the great schools. more bang for your buck, bottom line. of course there are all kinds of people here and we hang with the down to earth ones like us. i would have loved to live in alpharetta but since we lost so much money on our house up north, we bought conservatively here and are loving the lifestyle of windermere. so, you live where you live and i'll live where i live and we'll both enjoy ourselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
738 posts, read 1,117,410 times
Reputation: 326
I worked in that area for several years, and as suburbs go, it's pretty nice. Even the aforementioned "rough areas" are simply scattered remnants of trailer parks. it's not rough by any city definition, and I never felt unsafe, even in the wee hours.

Yes, Forsyth and Alpharetta are less diverse than Atlanta. Yes, the houses are newer and therefore not as unique or historic. It's a matter of personal taste, and if you are OK with these things then you should be fine.

You didn't mention where you will be working, but if you need to travel up or down 400 during rush hour, it's going to take you a lot longer than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 06:29 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,052 posts, read 1,307,851 times
Reputation: 496
I think people move to these areas thinking they are going to be the next hot place. Like it will be the next Ansley Park or something. Look at how much better the home values have held in Dunwoody, Dunwoody Panhandle, and Sandy Springs OTP compared to the other places North. It is because the area does not have a mass produced feel. I also feel that people do not realize there is only so far you can go from a city before you are outside the real metro. Every metro in the US has limits to what is considered in the metro by the people who live there.

Then people say for a new area...... where will they be living in thirty years? Up near the Tennessee boarder?

The people who work in Alpharetta area.... what if you lose your job or change your job? Everything is most likely going to be south of you. It is not a central location.

Low taxes.... they do know that if the area keeps growing the taxes will go up to pay for all of the new schools. It happened in the DC metro the counties that recently developed.

And 3500 sq. ft. is plenty big enough for 3 people. I think sometimes when people were building some of the very large houses they did not think what will happen in 15 years when they want to renovate? (Well a lot of them will have a short sale!) Has anybody noticed when they build new luxury homes closer in to Atlanta they do not go as big but put higher end finishes in? Quantity vs. Quality?

I am not surprised by the snobbery in the mass produced suburbia/exurbia. I think it has to do with everything being so sterile they are trying to stand out. It is almost like they are not comfortable with what they have so they compete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 PM
 
Location: http://www.johnscreekrealtypartners.com
953 posts, read 2,775,941 times
Reputation: 408
Georgialakesearch, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about do you?



Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
I personally would stay away from Forsyth County. Being in Forsyth will always keep a homes value down compared to North Fulton or even Gwinnett.

Alpharetta is just the address in that part of Forsyth, Alpharetta is in Fulton. It is like how there are people on this forum that insist being in S. Forsyth is like being in Johns Creek. However their addresses are not Johns Creek so I do not get why they make a big deal about wanting to be in Johns Creek when supposedly S. Forsyth is so great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top