U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:14 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoveornot View Post
to each his own. we are not rich. we are not snobby. we enjoy the lower taxes of forsyth county and the great schools. more bang for your buck, bottom line. of course there are all kinds of people here and we hang with the down to earth ones like us. i would have loved to live in alpharetta but since we lost so much money on our house up north, we bought conservatively here and are loving the lifestyle of windermere. so, you live where you live and i'll live where i live and we'll both enjoy ourselves!
i'm sorry, i didn't mean to generalize and say that everyone who lived up there is of that breed. i lived there for 11 years, so i would be the last person to generalize, and if it came across that way, i'm sorry. but you can't deny that 'the rich and famous' wannabes really have a hold on the area— when your kids go to friends' houses and they're 6,000 sf mansions that have theatres in the basement, it's not an uncommon thing there. and there are many who choose to participate in the social climbing and elitist crowd up there.

not everyone who lives up there, or even everyone who lives in a big house, is like this. oftentimes people live in a big house up there because that's the norm. but go asking around up there, what people would think if they decided to open up more affordable housing nearby, or how would you like to take a trip to virginia-highland, i've got a great idea to raise money for a local food bank, how about them black people? etc. and tell me the response you get.

the people out there, generally, have much more of a likelihood to have this elitist attitude— i know all about it. i lived in the same house up there for 11 years and lived there for 8 years before that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchnerd View Post
I worked in that area for several years, and as suburbs go, it's pretty nice. Even the aforementioned "rough areas" are simply scattered remnants of trailer parks. it's not rough by any city definition, and I never felt unsafe, even in the wee hours.
i'm pretty street-savvy and there are very few places that bother me. that being said, i don't have a problem driving through my old neighbourhood any time of day or night. but i wouldn't want to live there. tons of property and drug crime, meth labs catching on fire and burning the entire house down, most of your neighbours are rude and only create more problems, and after we moved we did a search on the sex offender registry, and found that there were 5 registered child molesters within a one mile radius.

people from the city talk about 'the projects' and how rough they are, but there is certainly plenty of that when you get out in forsyth county, trailer parks and rundown neighbourhoods in forsyth are 'the projects' for rednecks... i could tell plenty of stories, it's not a good or safe place to live no matter how you stack it up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,307,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Georgialakesearch, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about do you?
Actually I researched Forsyth County multiple times in the past six years and have gone out there to look at possible investments. In my opinion it is just too far away from the city. Every major city has a metro and the farther you get away from its downtown the lower the home values generally get. Look at the available real estate it is nothing special. It is actually a pretty generic exurb.

Homes sold in 2011:

If Forsyth is becoming so wonderful and popular why did the Le Reve property sell for only 9.5 million(some sources say 11.5 others say 9.5 as do the tax records) and it has almost 36k sq. ft. in the main house 7 bedrooms and 14.5 bathrooms? It sits on 72 acres along with a 2k guest house(with 2 bedrooms).

In Sandy Springs ITP in the 30327 zip code the highest sold home was 9 million with 13.5k sq. ft. 7 bedrooms (including two in guest house), 7 full baths, & 3 half baths. And you can write your address as Atlanta or Sandy Springs.

When you break that down the ITP Sandy Springs house is much more expensive.

The most expensive sales prices below those two are all in the city limits of Atlanta. (6.5, 5.5, 5(for a shell condo at the Sovereign), 4.925, 3.857, 3.725)

The highest sold house in Johns Creek(Fulton County) was 3.4 in Country Club of the South. The St. Regis closed a shell unit for 3.3 with 4,132 sq. ft. (And this year multiple have sold for over 3.3.)

Old 04-13-2012, 04:50 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,553,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Every major city has a metro and the farther you get away from its downtown the lower the home values generally get.

well, that is true in the typical circumstance, but this is atlanta. for at least the first couple of miles, prices go up as you go away from downtown, with peak prices in buckhead, sandy springs, etc.

but i think i can see your point, homes that are within a reasonable distance to a major job center are going to be worth more. the longer the commute, the less desirable of a place it is to live.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:38 AM

425 posts, read 1,560,418 times
I don't think it's that mrpanda, but rather we are just pointing out a disturbing trend.

Lets take your favorite analogy as an example, as you love to compare metro atlanta to so cal. What area of so cal is most affected by the RE bust? I would say the Inland Empire without a doubt (Riverside/San Bernardino Co). Now, look at the distance from Inland Empire to all major job centers in so cal (realizing also san bernardino and riverside are job centers as well). Does it not seem similar to the exurbs of metro atlanta?

This is a disturbing trend especially if you consider what the millenials and to some extent what the gen x/y prefer nowadays when it comes to living options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Georgialakesearch, you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about do you?

Old 04-13-2012, 07:25 AM

453 posts, read 654,694 times
No quesiton the further out you go the worse the investment will be. Also much better to buy in Fulton than Forsyth. Is Alpharretta even in Forsyth?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:01 AM

808 posts, read 2,828,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
No quesiton the further out you go the worse the investment will be. Also much better to buy in Fulton than Forsyth. Is Alpharretta even in Forsyth?
City of Alpharetta is in Fulton county...some parts of Forsyth county has Alpharetta mailing address.

Where to buy is a personal preference. We looked everywhere including East Cobb, Alparetta, Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek, and SS. After much research, we decided to be in the West Forsyth HS boundary.

In our research, we asked lots of questions, knocked on doors of neighborhoods we visited, checked out the parks, etc. We visited several schools in session and spoke with the school administrators, principals, teachers, parents, and even students. We even went to city hall and county and looked at the master plan for short term and long term plans, etc. We did talk to some police officers about crime in areas we were considering and asked where they live.

Where we are currently located reminds us of Michigan with the rolling hills, bike/pedestrian paths, and the close proximity to Lake Lanier. Our neighbors are from all over the country with several from overseas, only 3 are native to Georgia. It's somewhat diverse but not as diverse as intown ATL.

We currently have 4 kids between the ages of 15 to 8. It's what we needed at this time. We are pleased with where we purchased.

Do your due diligence before purchasing and you will be happy. Be aware of the traffic patterns and location of the stores/restaurants.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,090,866 times
Someone call the water company.

We've got a major raw spewage leak in this thread!!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:02 PM

738 posts, read 1,117,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i'm pretty street-savvy and there are very few places that bother me. that being said, i don't have a problem driving through my old neighbourhood any time of day or night. but i wouldn't want to live there. tons of property and drug crime, meth labs catching on fire and burning the entire house down, most of your neighbours are rude and only create more problems, and after we moved we did a search on the sex offender registry, and found that there were 5 registered child molesters within a one mile radius.

people from the city talk about 'the projects' and how rough they are, but there is certainly plenty of that when you get out in forsyth county, trailer parks and rundown neighbourhoods in forsyth are 'the projects' for rednecks... i could tell plenty of stories, it's not a good or safe place to live no matter how you stack it up.
Here's the crime in all of Forsyth county: Forsyth County, GA Crime Map A little shoplifting and vandalism, a little identity theft, but not much else.

Compare that with any neighborhood in Atlanta for the same date range, and you may have to rethink your definition of "tons of crime."

Old 04-13-2012, 02:51 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,892,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momdog View Post
You are totally stereotyping and judging, which makes you ignorant.
Well, it makes the other person biased. They might actually know better, we really don't know.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:06 PM

230 posts, read 394,325 times
Here is another tread about crime. Both sides bring up valid points.

forsyth county isn't that safe of a place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or