U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 02:55 AM

4,181 posts, read 4,846,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Forgot to mention...Due West of The Westside Village/AUC is Castleberry Hill and Downtown Atlanta not exactly "Hell Holes" type neighborhoods in my opinion or anyone else for that matter.

I believe once the Wal-Mart opens eventually some pressure will be put on The Morris Brown Campus and other stakeholders which is the gateway into the area next to The Georgia Dome...Also with the new Falcons Stadium set to open on Northside Drive on the site of the Old Herndon homes I believe the development is going to make a huge push to be inclusive of the English Avenue area across from it.
the stadium is the only thing i'm not excited about— by the way, do we know if this new falcons stadium is a sure thing?

the reason i'm not excited about it is because of what the dome did. it's only open for major events, closed the majority of the time, no street level retail, etc. it basically took vine city and segregated it from downtown entirely. it's like having a huge concrete block sitting there.

seeing another stadium go up right north of it would pretty much seal off the whole westside from midtown and downtown and would inhibit any redevelopment projects, especially for english avenue.

the only way i'm for the new stadium is if they tear that dome down and replace it with something that has a street level presence that can bring vine city and downtown back together again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 07:26 AM

23,247 posts, read 17,447,481 times
Quote:
the reason i'm not excited about it is because of what the dome did. it's only open for major events, closed the majority of the time, no street level retail, etc. it basically took vine city and segregated it from downtown entirely. it's like having a huge concrete block sitting there.

seeing another stadium go up right north of it would pretty much seal off the whole westside from midtown and downtown and would inhibit any redevelopment projects, especially for english avenue.

the only way i'm for the new stadium is if they tear that dome down and replace it with something that has a street level presence that can bring vine city and downtown back together again.
This is very true. Look at the area around Turner Field, Summerhill. The neighborhood has never enjoyed the success of Turner Field and now is a massive parking lot that sits empty most of the year. If urban stadiums are built right, then they can have positive impacts on the neighborhood. In my opinion, the Dome needs to be rehabed and have a retractable roof built onit. Add some street-level retail along Northside and create a space for tailgating and entertainment before games. The Dome is well served by 2 MARTA stations and encourages people to use mass transit when attending games. More restaurants and bars need to be built in the street facing the Dome.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:52 AM

15,303 posts, read 7,819,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I believe you meant to say that CAU is the largest private UNCF funded HBCU in the country...Which is indeed true at least when I was enrolled & graduated from 1998-2002.
Yes, that is what I meant, I mispoke as FAMU is larger.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:02 AM

15,303 posts, read 7,819,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the stadium is the only thing i'm not excited about— by the way, do we know if this new falcons stadium is a sure thing?

I agree with you. As a resident in English Avenue, I also know that many in the neighborhood do not want a new stadium. That money (much of which will come from the public) would be better spent on other projects in our and other neighborhoods in need of revitalization. Also the Dome is not that old and was just remodeled not too long ago.

The "open air" stadium is still not a sure thing. Personally for many of the reasons mentioned above I am against it. I don't see what parking lots and concrete will do for the area and I see it as a waste of money. I'd rather see money spent, if it's going to be in the neighborhood on the new plan to build a new Mims Park park near Boone Blvd and have many of the buried streams that existed before Vine City and English Avenue were devloped years ago, unearthed. There was an article written about it a while ago, I think in CL, let me find it. (article)

Atlanta needs more greenspace and since the beltline is proposed to be close to these neighborhoods, I think it would be a good project to fund instead of parking lots.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:11 AM

23,247 posts, read 17,447,481 times
Quote:
if it's going to be in the neighborhood on the new plan to build a new Mims Park park near Boone Blvd and have many of the buried streams that existed before Vine City and English Avenue were devloped years ago, unearthed. There was an article written about it a while ago, I think in CL, let me find it. (article)
That is a great plan and will help revitalize those neighborhoods. Money does not need to be spent on a new stadium for the rich, ticket prices will skyrocket, when a working class neighborhood in the Dome's shadow needs help.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:57 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,253,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Proven wrong? How? By stating that the area is a nest of crime, poverty and several failed redevelopment attempts?

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

See #5, #7 and #17. Some great neighborhoods to live in/near.

Location, location, location
We have discussed this so called map of crime and their methodology of how they collected data.Not saying there is no crime but the areas ranked are not fairly pitted.I can pick an area and put it up against another area I also pick and come up with my own conclusions.

thats said it was not that particular statement you made that were erroneous that was [particularly objectionable.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
We have discussed this so called map of crime and their methodology of how they collected data.Not saying there is no crime but the areas ranked are not fairly pitted.I can pick an area and put it up against another area I also pick and come up with my own conclusions.

thats said it was not that particular statement you made that were erroneous that was [particularly objectionable.
the areas listed are bizarre and arbitrary mixtures of several different neighbourhoods. they should go by official neighbourhood boundaries for this survey, instead of drawing random lines and making up neighbourhoods. there's no doubt in my mind that 'the bluff' is the worst neighbourhood in atlanta (do a search for shootings on crimewatch, it had about 9 shootings in the past two years— nowhere else had that many places on the map) but instead of identifying that as the center of the crime, they've split it into two with #5 and #7 and mixed random parts of downtown and vine city. no one can say that either of those listed are real neighbourhood boundaries.

Last edited by bryantm3; 04-18-2012 at 10:59 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 03:02 AM

9,086 posts, read 13,253,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the areas listed are bizarre and arbitrary mixtures of several different neighbourhoods. they should go by official neighbourhood boundaries for this survey, instead of drawing random lines and making up neighbourhoods. there's no doubt in my mind that 'the bluff' is the worst neighbourhood in atlanta (do a search for shootings on crimewatch, it had about 9 shootings in the past two years— nowhere else had that many places on the map) but instead of identifying that as the center of the crime, they've split it into two with #5 and #7 and mixed random parts of downtown and vine city. no one can say that either of those listed are real neighbourhood boundaries.
Exactly!Yet using this very flawed arbitrary data as prove is misguided.The problems associated with the area as described by gtcorndog is nothing I deal with on a day to day to day basis,I feel safer where my house is located versus Home Park or even Grant Park.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Exactly!Yet using this very flawed arbitrary data as prove is misguided.The problems associated with the area as described by gtcorndog is nothing I deal with on a day to day to day basis,I feel safer where my house is located versus Home Park or even Grant Park.
it's also interesting to note that they don't run buses from vine city up to english avenue. if you want to get to one from the other, you have to go back in town or out west.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:48 AM

2,407 posts, read 2,685,172 times
Quote:

Regardless of the method being slightly flawed, the fact that there is an area, in close proximity to the topic of this thread where there is a 1 in 8 chance of being a victim of violent crime (based on their metrics) is alarming and reason enough for me not to live anywhere close to there. In the absence of other choices, I understand the necessity to live there, but why on earth, with financial resources to live in a safer environment, would someone knowingly take that risk? What is the benefit of that risk? The only one I can think of is dirt cheap real estate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or