Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:06 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Regardless of the method being slightly flawed, the fact that there is an area, in close proximity to the topic of this thread where there is a 1 in 8 chance of being a victim of violent crime (based on their metrics) is alarming and reason enough for me not to live anywhere close to there. In the absence of other choices, I understand the necessity to live there, but why on earth, with financial resources to live in a safer environment, would someone knowingly take that risk? What is the benefit of that risk? The only one I can think of is dirt cheap real estate.
to be a part of restoring the neighbourhood and making it beautiful, to see the potential for something fantastic in the mundane, and for you, to invest in property that will soon rise exponentially in value.

unfortunately, many are doing the latter in a destructive way, which is why many of the houses in 'the bluff' are vacant. they buy properties and board them up, making suitable dens for drug dealers and homeless addicts, to the detriment of the people that live in the neighbourhood and to the detriment of the value of the properties they own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 12:15 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Regardless of the method being slightly flawed, the fact that there is an area, in close proximity to the topic of this thread where there is a 1 in 8 chance of being a victim of violent crime (based on their metrics) is alarming and reason enough for me not to live anywhere close to there. In the absence of other choices, I understand the necessity to live there, but why on earth, with financial resources to live in a safer environment, would someone knowingly take that risk? What is the benefit of that risk? The only one I can think of is dirt cheap real estate.
Why?Because from what I have seen it is my "opinion" that where I am is as safe as some of those places I have mentioned earlier.Truth is you could ask the same question why anyone would live in Buckhead rather than Peachtree City which is safer.I truly believe that these rankings give people a false since of security.Crime is usually for people who wish to be involved in it.

There are some parts of the area that even I would not venture in no matter how cheap.However I don't live in an area like that.

Yes my reasoning is I believe in the "potential" of the area.I believe not only will i (as I already have) make money off of but also do something positive to making the area more sustainable.I, dont believe what I am dooing is what everybody should do but there are upsides that people who only read headlines and talk about he area from a bystander view, exaggerate and sensationalize because its not right for them
have a house in Henry County as well as in Warner Robins,Georgia.I do not care to live so far from the city.

I also refuse to pay tripple to have less just because you and others feel that where I live is dangerous.its just not.Yes I now statically it is but it is a large area and everywhere in the area is not blocked by some imaginary wall where crime just stops and because the name of the neighborhood changes,all of a sudden its a popular neighborhood verses a scary one right next to each other.

Last edited by afonega1; 04-20-2012 at 12:36 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,874,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I also refuse to pay tripple to have less just because you and others feel that where I live is dangerous.its just not.Yes I now statically it is but it is a large area and everywhere in the area is not blocked by some imaginary wall where crime just stops and because the name of the neighborhood changes,all of a sudden its a popular neighborhood verses a scary one right next to each other.
you do have a good point. it's easy to draw lines and say 'this is where the crime is' but obviously it doesn't happen like that. i'd prefer it if they used the official neighbourhood boundaries, but even with that you can't say an entire neighbourhood has an equal distribution of crime. for example, look at the old fourth ward, parts are almost completely safe like over by inman park and down at boulevard and edgewood, but you drive north on boulevard a half mile and you're in the roughest part of that neighbourhood. ditto with vine city. obviously it's not gonna be that safe when you're around simpson street whereas around AUC it's not really dangerous. stuff like that is hard to quantify and put on a map, you've really just got to have a feel for the area.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:58 AM

454 posts, read 821,312 times
I gotta say I think this area is a great long term investment. As good as it gets in GA.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:04 PM

34 posts, read 66,380 times
I'm a lifelong urban pioneer who has done this in 4 cities since college. I now own 4 ATL properties and live in 1 of them in Washington Park, right across the main street from Historic Westside Village and just a block from the Ashby MARTA. My other investment properties are in Home Park, Edgewood and west of CAU / Morehouse / Spelman on Fair St.

Of all these properties, I'm betting that the one that will give me the most ROI in the long-term (talking 10-15 years) is the house I live in at Washington Park. Reasons? It has all of the "perks" that the homes in the intown areas I purchased and lived in other cities (downtown Brooklyn, Washington DC, and Houston) had that turned those areas around and made them great investments: low-priced large homes, nice, huge green park, steps from a subway station, very close to downtown, colleges nearby, and a combination of urban pioneer professionals and artsy-fartsy types moving in and making things happen. The planned Beltway stop makes it an added perk, although that looks to be more long-term.

But what could be even the most important indicator: Wal-Mart is building thei first inner-city store in the U.S. that opens mmid-January 2013. My dad was an executive in development at a large retail chain for 25 years before his recent retirement. One thing I learned about from him is all the research a company will invest in before deciding to invest millions into building a new store (demographic and income trends and forecasting, real estate value forecasting, risks/rewards, etc.). Also, and this is equally as vital, a large multi-billion-dollar corporation like Wal-Mart would not have done the deal to move into this location without convincing the municipality (strong-arming them) to provide additional transit, police presence, lighting, and beautification projects along the streets and walkways -- in addition to making sure that other developers and companies are ready to provide non-competing local businesses and housing that will ensure even more foot and car traffic for Wal-Mart.

This is Wal-Mart's first U.S, venture into an intown / inner-city neighborhood -- the last market here for them to break into, and they have wanted this market badly for years. They didn't just do this on a whim. So, basically, Wal-Mart already did the investment research work for those pioneers looking at buying intown housing that will have a good long-term ROI, both financially and in terms of quality city life.

Also, west of downtown is the only place left for intown growth, and this area is less than 1 mile from downtown? It's a no-brainer, in the long run. See my old hoods: Old Third Ward Houston now renamed Museum District), Fort Greene in downtown Brooklyn, and Capitol Hill East, off of H Street.

I think we're talking about a very different Historic Westside Village / Vine City / Washington Park in 2022 than there is now in 2012.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Of course its cost!!Duh!!But the whole area is not much further than more popular areas.
Even within the area we are speaking,there are spots of relative calm.Where I live is such that I can walk to the Marta within 2 bloccks from my house and not be a victim of crime.In the 6 years I bought my property where I rent to students,they also have had no problems and most agree after living where my house is that its just not that bad.Now I have a Wal-Mart and already other development is popping up.

Do you realize that North Ave runs from the center of English Ave(the Bluffs and the center of most of the crime in the area) through Georgia Tech?Where do you think Georgia Tech students who do drugs drive to go get them?I have seen it ALL the time.Those same crooks who sold them the drugs walk down North or Northside Drive into Home Park and they bust a kid on their head ,stealing and Ipod or computer.
Yet Home Park is still popular.
Not to mention Midtown West is also very close.But thats okay to huh?

Old 09-03-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellaDawg View Post
I'm a lifelong urban pioneer who has done this in 4 cities since college. I now own 4 ATL properties and live in 1 of them in Washington Park, right across the main street from Historic Westside Village and just a block from the Ashby MARTA. My other investment properties are in Home Park, Edgewood and west of CAU / Morehouse / Spelman on Fair St.

Of all these properties, I'm betting that the one that will give me the most ROI in the long-term (talking 10-15 years) is the house I live in at Washington Park. Reasons? It has all of the "perks" that the homes in the intown areas I purchased and lived in other cities (downtown Brooklyn, Washington DC, and Houston) had that turned those areas around and made them great investments: low-priced large homes, nice, huge green park, steps from a subway station, very close to downtown, colleges nearby, and a combination of urban pioneer professionals and artsy-fartsy types moving in and making things happen. The planned Beltway stop makes it an added perk, although that looks to be more long-term.

But what could be even the most important indicator: Wal-Mart is building thei first inner-city store in the U.S. that opens mmid-January 2013. My dad was an executive in development at a large retail chain for 25 years before his recent retirement. One thing I learned about from him is all the research a company will invest in before deciding to invest millions into building a new store (demographic and income trends and forecasting, real estate value forecasting, risks/rewards, etc.). Also, and this is equally as vital, a large multi-billion-dollar corporation like Wal-Mart would not have done the deal to move into this location without convincing the municipality (strong-arming them) to provide additional transit, police presence, lighting, and beautification projects along the streets and walkways -- in addition to making sure that other developers and companies are ready to provide non-competing local businesses and housing that will ensure even more foot and car traffic for Wal-Mart.

This is Wal-Mart's first U.S, venture into an intown / inner-city neighborhood -- the last market here for them to break into, and they have wanted this market badly for years. They didn't just do this on a whim. So, basically, Wal-Mart already did the investment research work for those pioneers looking at buying intown housing that will have a good long-term ROI, both financially and in terms of quality city life.

Also, west of downtown is the only place left for intown growth, and this area is less than 1 mile from downtown? It's a no-brainer, in the long run. See my old hoods: Old Third Ward Houston now renamed Museum District), Fort Greene in downtown Brooklyn, and Capitol Hill East, off of H Street.

I think we're talking about a very different Historic Westside Village / Vine City / Washington Park in 2022 than there is now in 2012.
You have said exactly the truth!!I have been battling friends and relatives about this area for years!!Like me im sure you have seen the number of homes and prices have been rising and the quality evaporating quickly over the last 1-2years.One look at Zillow,and you will see how many houses have sold that were newly built for as low as $15,000-$35000 are now being listed and sold for $50,000 - $75,000 in just 2-3yrs in whats supposed to be a down market!!

I can even say that the demographics has even changed as I see more young white and black professionals,whereas before you just did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta