Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 05:48 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,910,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Wanted to say that I drive up and down Lowery every day and you see more people walking than sitting on porchers. There is a small park near the Ashby Marta station where people hang out, but it's a park and that's what people do at parks.

Also you forget the saying about people who assume....you should remember. I live in the area and I have very good judgement. I am not stretched beyond my means by trying to impress the Joneses. I am not stuck in traffic for an hour a day. I have easy access to every corner of the metro area being that I am centrally located. I, like afonega, have never had a break-in and I have lived in my house for 5 years. I have never had a car break-in either or any sort of crimes occuring at all and I don't worry about that sort of things. I have nice, older, quiet neighbors so don't worry about loud shenanigans.

Wanted to mention that my specific zip code was not included in the most dangerous (I live in 30318). But my job's zip code was in that top 10 list - 30303 - Downtown Atlanta, so I guess no one should ever go downtown either or they have poor judgement.

Also wanted to mention that I am an alumni of CAU and as such I know for a fact that CAU has grown and is still growing. CAU is the largest HBCU in the country and is in fine financial shpae. They have a decent endowment and a beautiful campus and since I originally went in the late 90s the rate of retention of students and graduation rates have increased, as have the amount of new construction and improvements on campus.
I believe you meant to say that CAU is the largest private UNCF funded HBCU in the country...Which is indeed true at least when I was enrolled & graduated from 1998-2002.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 04-17-2012 at 06:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 06:04 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
Also the area now being referred to as "West Midtown" whose borders roughly are Bankhead/Northside/Lowery/14th is an area that borders a so called "hell hole" called English Avenue/The Bluff and that area seems to be doing quite well. So just because The Westside Villagis close by some sketchy areas it still has immense potential just like other areas that have developed over the years that had bad areas close by i.e. (Old 4th Ward to Inman Park).

Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
But honestly, that area sucks. If you ever wonder where you tax dollars go, drive up and down Lowery and count the number of people sitting on porches not doing anything but leaching off hard working Americans.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

confirmation bias « Abagond

Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Also the area now being referred to as "West Midtown" whose borders roughly are Bankhead/Northside/Lowery/14th is an area that borders a so called "hell hole" called English Avenue/The Bluff and that area seems to be doing quite well. So just because The Westside Villagis close by some sketchy areas it still has immense potential just like other areas that have developed over the years that had bad areas close by i.e. (Old 4th Ward to Inman Park).
exactly— take a look at knight park, the king plow arts center, etc.— those are closer to english avenue than the westside village is.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
My grandmother used to say "if you look for it you will find it." Now I know there is a sociological term for it.

This goes with the "Urban Commentator" thread with the Kuntsler guy dissing downtown for being so unhumane. So he went around Peachtree Center Avenue where all the parking garages face and took pictures of the streetscape to prove his point.

Confirmation bias. I have a new term for my personal lexicon.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:38 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
My grandmother used to say "if you look for it you will find it." Now I know there is a sociological term for it.

This goes with the "Urban Commentator" thread with the Kuntsler guy dissing downtown for being so unhumane. So he went around Peachtree Center Avenue where all the parking garages face and took pictures of the streetscape to prove his point.

Confirmation bias. I have a new term for my personal lexicon.

Your grandmother is a wise woman!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:57 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You are very quick to point out others errors or mistatement but dont have the decency when you have been proven wrong acknowledgement it and admit it.
However you are real good at changing the subject.
Proven wrong? How? By stating that the area is a nest of crime, poverty and several failed redevelopment attempts?

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

See #5, #7 and #17. Some great neighborhoods to live in/near.

Location, location, location

Old 04-17-2012, 09:56 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,869,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
Proven wrong? How? By stating that the area is a nest of crime, poverty and several failed redevelopment attempts?

25 most dangerous neighborhoods 2010 - DailyFinance

See #5, #7 and #17. Some great neighborhoods to live in/near.

Location, location, location
the point is, crime is a block-by-block thing. look at west midtown and all the successful redevelopment it's having, and look at its proximity to bad neighbourhoods, it's just as close as the westside village is. if you don't want to live there, that's your prerogative, but to say it's stupid for anyone else to move in there is just denying how gentrification works. block by block, pretty much everywhere north of 20 and east of the downtown connector has been revitalized, most recently east lake and kirkwood, and now it's the west side's turn. as more and more families move back into atlanta, they are going to need places to stay, and right now the safest places on the westside close to town are the westside village and west end. seeing as how the beltline is going to go through both of these neighbourhoods, they seem to be the most likely areas for revitalization.

what is your point, really, i don't see where you're going with this at all. do you want the area around the AUC to be run down and crappy, or are you just skeptical about that area ever being revitalized? you seem to come back to this topic again and again with a fervour. do you have negative associations with the area or something?

Old 04-17-2012, 10:12 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
the point is, crime is a block-by-block thing. look at west midtown and all the successful redevelopment it's having, and look at its proximity to bad neighbourhoods,
I'll disagree, Buckhead was fine until the freaknik crowd entered, cue major crime and then Buckhead shutdown. When midtown initially emerged after the Buckhead shutdown, they had similar problems.

I lived in Home Park and Centennial Place, there was constant crime. Both were mostly Tech/GSU students living there and one also had section 8, Bankhead and Westside always coming into the area to break in cars, steal cars, home break ins, etc. Now, they're actually shooting people. The good ole days of Techwood seem to be reviving themselves. I'm a homeowner now, but after living in a Section 8 sponsored n-hood, never again.

I work downtown and live in Suburbia now after living downtown for almost 10 years. As a White guy with a concealed weapons permit, I wouldn't enter these areas after dark, and not regularly during daylight.

And this isn't Black on White crime, it's everything on everything crime. If someone wants to move in, go for it. If you want to change it, go for it.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 AM

Forgot to mention...Due West of The Westside Village/AUC is Castleberry Hill and Downtown Atlanta not exactly "Hell Holes" type neighborhoods in my opinion or anyone else for that matter.

I believe once the Wal-Mart opens eventually some pressure will be put on The Morris Brown Campus and other stakeholders which is the gateway into the area next to The Georgia Dome...Also with the new Falcons Stadium set to open on Northside Drive on the site of the Old Herndon homes I believe the development is going to make a huge push to be inclusive of the English Avenue area across from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta