Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:12 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The big problem we have compared to Florida... well the sheer amount of beaches and lakes they have are very appealing places to build retirement communities.
Of course, the big problem Florida has compared to us is those big spinny wet things that wander through the state every several years and flood/level the countryside. Maybe a good cinderblock house with a really big pump would be immune, I dunno...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
The short answer is yes some people do, but we don't do it in droves either.

A large part of this is because the Atlanta area is so expansive, we have alot of really nice and really cheap fringe suburban/exurban areas to move to with a really cheap cost of living and wide variety of services. The main draw back are long commutes, which doesn't really matter when your retired. We also have a small share of people that head for the mountains or various lakes in Georgia (Oconee, Lanier, etc..).

There is one exurban community of Athens (partly in barrow Co.) called the Georgia Club. It is a high end development with lots of amenities. They market to retirees very heavily. This is on their website about retirees BEST PLACES TO RETIRE
You can see the aerial view here: Watkinsville, GA - Google Maps
I feel GA Club is neither here (Atlanta), nor there (Athens). I think a large part of the development either foreclosed, or the bank sold it for real cheap.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 PM

74 posts, read 189,343 times
I just retired in November and I've thought about returning there (went to UGA). I live in Marietta now but I think I'd be very satisfied with what Athens offers. But I'm also considering Cleveland GA because I love the mountains.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipmaloney View Post
I just retired in November and I've thought about returning there (went to UGA). I live in Marietta now but I think I'd be very satisfied with what Athens offers. But I'm also considering Cleveland GA because I love the mountains.
When we lived in Athens we would go to Tallulah Falls and Helen (since you were interested in Cleveland). Athens is a good place to live. Like I previously said, it is a "simple man's" Atlanta. Downtown Athens is pretty cool, and I used to walk around quite a bit. Also, the Botanical Gardens is nice.

Here is a thread I previously started, and contributed to:
"The best seat in the South" - Athens, Georgia

Old 04-20-2012, 10:21 PM

Twilight Criterium in Athens is this April 27-28

Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 PM

16,682 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Of course, the big problem Florida has compared to us is those big spinny wet things that wander through the state every several years and flood/level the countryside. Maybe a good cinderblock house with a really big pump would be immune, I dunno...

Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM

Athens, Georgia - William P. Barrett - Forbes

This list has Athens as a top place to retire to!

The advantage of retiring to a college town (than a mountain area, or other retirement areas, etc.) is probably that there is more regular stuff to do. In one episode of Seinfeld, I think he calls living in retirment community in Florida "waiting room to heaven". Living in a town like Athens, you will probably be living in a simple man's version of Atlanta.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
I wanted to open a B&B there...maybe even before retirement from my "career". Athens is about as far as my wife will ever move from Atlanta. I'd choose elsewhere if allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta