U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:34 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,152,468 times

Advertisements

Sandy Springs in terms of apartments: More Crime; less amenities.
Dunwoody: More amenities...depends on where you live re crime but more to choose from in terms of apartments. Lots of stuff right on Ashford Dunwoody across from Perimeter Mall, Barfield, Hammond and Mt. Vernon. Dunwoody pretty much has everything...big mall, chain stores, mom and pop, decent restaurants, public transportation and a family friendly atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM

9,188 posts, read 30,229,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweettea1 View Post
More than when people WRITE IN ALL CAPS AND PUT IN MORE THAN ONE QUESTION MARK????
Those and especially these (??????) will be punishable by bamboo shoots shoved under toenails if I have my way, soon.

Regarding the Roswell and Dunwoody areas to the OP....

These are in very busy areas not far from I-285 (beltway) so "quiet" is not going to be a word that's used to describe them. As a matter of fact, most of close-in Atlanta is not quiet. You gotta get out to the burbs in a single family house with a large lot to MAYBE find quiet.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,019,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Those and especially these (??????) will be punishable by bamboo shoots shoved under toenails if I have my way, soon.

Regarding the Roswell and Dunwoody areas to the OP....

These are in very busy areas not far from I-285 (beltway) so "quiet" is not going to be a word that's used to describe them. As a matter of fact, most of close-in Atlanta is not quiet. You gotta get out to the burbs in a single family house with a large lot to MAYBE find quiet.
Hi AtlantaGreg,
Based on this discussion, I feel Dunwoody area fits my requirement i.e, near atlanta downtown, relatively quiet and safe and has lot of amenities. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you please list some apartments in the "SAFE" part of dunwoody? What's the zip code of that "safe" part of dunwoody?

Thanks!

Old 09-24-2007, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 21,131 times
Stay away from Archstone apartments.

I lived in one for a year and they suck

Try new apartments in Snellville onlything is they are a little way off from downtown Atlanta

Last edited by jxu66; 09-25-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 09-25-2007, 01:34 PM

180 posts, read 204,768 times
It's too bad you can't look for something in Midtown or other in-town neighborhoods. Both you and your wife will be in the same general area if she goes to GSU, Tech, or Spellman...and it's a big plus if you can avoid a commute of any kind in Atlanta. There are plenty of decent and "safe" apartment buildings and communities in different areas of the city, but your price range may be a little low...

Last edited by jxu66; 09-25-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: remove comment causing flaming

Old 09-26-2007, 01:46 PM

9 posts, read 49,925 times
Default Advice From an Atlanta Native

I would check out apartments in the Oakhurst, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village, East Lake, Little Five Points, and possible Midtown and Virginia Highland neighborhoods. Midtown and Virginia Highlands will be on the pricey side though and will also be the safest. The first neighborhoods are safe, but still in transition. Although, I own a home in Kirkwood and am a single female and have never felt unsafe and love the area. It's 3 miles from downtown and close to midtown, virginia highlands, inman park, little five points, east atlanta village, etc. It is open minded, laid back, very up and coming and you can still get something nice without paying an outrageous amount. Also, becuase of the central location, there are tons of restaurant and going out options.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:00 PM

5 posts, read 10,303 times
The Lindberg area is, in my opinion, very nice... I would say to check that out too.

Also, don't pay any attention to the apartment review sites. After I was living in my first apartment for a while, I ended up going to a couple of those apartment review sites and it was saying all of this negative stuff about it, saying the crime was very high there, that you could hear the neighbors having sex and having normal conversations because the walls were too thin, that the people in the office were rude, etc... I just laughed because NONE of that was true, not in my case anyways. People always go to those sites to complain, very rarely do people go to those sites to say what a good place it is and point out the good things.

Old 10-13-2007, 07:02 AM

52 posts, read 143,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
Hi AtlantaGreg,
Based on this discussion, I feel Dunwoody area fits my requirement i.e, near atlanta downtown, relatively quiet and safe and has lot of amenities. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Can you please list some apartments in the "SAFE" part of dunwoody? What's the zip code of that "safe" part of dunwoody?

Thanks!
I live in the Dunwoody area...actually have lived in quite a few areas in Metro Atlanta.

To answer your question: Dunwoody zip code is 30338.

Dunwoody is very nice, safe, quiet, close to Marta Train which is a godsend if you will be working downtown. Colonial Grand at Mount Vernon apartments are within walking distance to the station. A friend of mine who relocated from Oklahoma lived there with his family (wife, 2 kids, pets) and really liked it. Anywhere else in Dunwoody would be at least a 20 minute drive to the station due to congestion and ill-timed traffic lights/flow.

Driving to downtown is ill advised. Traffic and parking are not the most pleasant parts of Atlanta There are a LOT of car break-ins if you use a paid for parking lot, and you should expect a 1 hour commute each way if driving.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your move.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
lor

7 posts, read 20,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRVATL View Post
I would check out apartments in the Oakhurst, Kirkwood, East Atlanta Village, East Lake, Little Five Points, and possible Midtown and Virginia Highland neighborhoods. Midtown and Virginia Highlands will be on the pricey side though and will also be the safest. The first neighborhoods are safe, but still in transition. Although, I own a home in Kirkwood and am a single female and have never felt unsafe and love the area. It's 3 miles from downtown and close to midtown, virginia highlands, inman park, little five points, east atlanta village, etc. It is open minded, laid back, very up and coming and you can still get something nice without paying an outrageous amount. Also, becuase of the central location, there are tons of restaurant and going out options.
WOW does your situation sounds exactly like mine. I'm looking for a clean safe apartment near Decatur. I just got a job down there and like you I am terrified of all the rummers of car breakins and crime. (even thought I'm from detroit.) Also like you my price range is between 700-800 but recently decided to look at 850ish places as well. Have you looked at Dupont Place in Tucker?? right now that seems to be my best bet. (OR look for people renting out houses in the areas stated above.). From what i've learned..... the closer to I20 the worst off but also the cheaper. just check it out because Atlanta seems to be VERY spotty with crime.... iof you have and advice for me I'd love to hear it as well. i need to be down there by Nov. 5th THANKS!

Old 01-06-2008, 07:06 PM

7 posts, read 34,949 times
I am moving from NJ to Atlanta in March 2008 and have done TONS of research on Atlanta. For those moving to Atlanta please do the following:
1. Plan to live within 15-20 miles of work because traffic is a nightmare
2. Read up on the complexes you're interested in on www.apartmentratings.com
3. Call local police departments in those areas and ask for a crime report on those apartment complexes.
4. If you'd like to live in an apartment in or near the Perimeter you should look into the following areas: Dunwoody, Sandy Springs, Vinings, Virginia Highlands.
5. Know that crime in Atlanta is incredibly high, particularly car break-ins and home invasions.
6. Plan to spend more money on rent if safety is a concern.
7. If renting only go for gated communities.
8. Ask if the complex has a courtesy officer.
9. Ask what happens when the gate is out of order.
10. Talk to any and everyone you meet in Atlanta (at the supermarket, at the gas station, at the mall, at the drug store) and ask them about neighborhoods.
I hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or