U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:45 AM

3,290 posts, read 1,659,972 times
I love Atlanta, but it doesn't provide the urban experience that NYC does and if I'm not going to live the full urban experience, why not live in another sprawly city that has more to do and is more exciting like Los Angeles?

Atlanta just wasn't made for urbanites like myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:52 PM

9,913 posts, read 13,869,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Imagine that you hit jack pot and now you are worth $10 million dollars in networth and you no longer have to work as you are now financially free. Where would you move to? What would you do with your time? Would you stay in Atlanta or move to Florida, California or Hawaii etc. In what city would you buy your dream home?

PLease be specific.
Godalming, Surrey, UK. But I'd keep the currrent house in Mableton and live there for half of the year.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:58 PM

924 posts, read 1,558,773 times
I know i am dreaming but.....

Live in my home in Newport Beach during Winter and Summer months and live in my home in Atlanta during the Fall and Spring seasons.

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Newport-Bea...7/home/4746903
7500 square feet home in Newport Coast, CA. Price $5,000,000.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM

230 posts, read 200,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Godalming, Surrey, UK. But I'd keep the currrent house in Mableton and live there for half of the year.
Small world. My dad used to work in Guildford, just around the corner. If I had to live in the home counties it would be Stoke Poges, Bucks. But i'll still have a studio in Bayswater and a nice house in the Cotswolds.

Property for sale - Newbridge, Near Witney, Oxfordshire | Knight Frank

Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM

397 posts, read 353,636 times
I am another who would move to the UK or France. If I stayed in the US it would be NYC, N Cali or maybe Seattle. No way would I stay in Atlanta. Not enough to do and not enough culture. If you are rich in Atlanta there is nothing to do but buy a bigger house, cars and eat at more expensive resturants.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:17 PM

425 posts, read 1,158,058 times
10 mil net worth would not compel me to move unless I can leverage that for a biz opportunity elsewhere and I start to see signs of success. So my answer is, i'm only wiling to move w/ the money I make from the 10 mil investment, not actually dip into it.

Sorry for being a buzzkill, but i don't think I can live the jetsetting lifestyle even at 10 mil net worth. I just won't feel comfortable doing it.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:57 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,742,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
10 mil net worth would not compel me to move unless I can leverage that for a biz opportunity elsewhere and I start to see signs of success. So my answer is, i'm only wiling to move w/ the money I make from the 10 mil investment, not actually dip into it.

Sorry for being a buzzkill, but i don't think I can live the jetsetting lifestyle even at 10 mil net worth. I just won't feel comfortable doing it.
I think we are talking about a comfortable lifestyle. Not a jetsetting lifestyle?

In my (Asian-Indian) language, there is a saying that "for the capable person, even a blade of grass is a weapon". Hopefully many of us will pursue our passion without waiting for the 10 mil to happen!

Old 04-19-2012, 03:04 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,742,204 times
chalvey (or jpatlanta -- not sure), I think you are of Asian Indian origin. Can you tell me how the Asian Indian experience in UK is? You know how the US is a true melting pot. How is it in UK? Does the Asian Indian population participate in the greater UK economy, or relegated mostly to lower level jobs.

You can send by Direct Message if you wish. (I am of Asian Indian origin. In Johns Creek. Have visited UK a few times.)

Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 PM

9,913 posts, read 13,869,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
Small world. My dad used to work in Guildford, just around the corner. If I had to live in the home counties it would be Stoke Poges, Bucks. But i'll still have a studio in Bayswater and a nice house in the Cotswolds.

Property for sale - Newbridge, Near Witney, Oxfordshire | Knight Frank
I have a nest of coworkers in Godalming, and even though I've only been there one time, I think it's an absolutely beautiful area with a lot of history. I'd still be too far away from my family to drive to visit much, but being independently wealthy my wife and I could hop a plane and come visit as often as we wanted.

I figure we could keep a motor home in the states and one in the UK, and do a lot of sightseeing just driving around everywhere. Will a big motorhome fit through the Chunnel?

You liked to a very nice home, BTW. I could live there, methinks...

Old 04-19-2012, 04:46 PM

397 posts, read 353,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I have a nest of coworkers in Godalming, and even though I've only been there one time, I think it's an absolutely beautiful area with a lot of history. I'd still be too far away from my family to drive to visit much, but being independently wealthy my wife and I could hop a plane and come visit as often as we wanted.

I figure we could keep a motor home in the states and one in the UK, and do a lot of sightseeing just driving around everywhere. Will a big motorhome fit through the Chunnel?

You liked to a very nice home, BTW. I could live there, methinks...
I worked nearby for 3 years in Surrey and then another 2 years just north of London. In hindsight we made a big mistake moving back to the US.

Also when you take the true cost of living into account the UK is probably still cheaper than even Atlanta over a lifetime. Definitely more to do in the UK and France than here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta