U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Unread 04-19-2012, 04:48 PM
 
397 posts, read 307,994 times
Reputation: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
chalvey (or jpatlanta -- not sure), I think you are of Asian Indian origin. Can you tell me how the Asian Indian experience in UK is? You know how the US is a true melting pot. How is it in UK? Does the Asian Indian population participate in the greater UK economy, or relegated mostly to lower level jobs.

You can send by Direct Message if you wish. (I am of Asian Indian origin. In Johns Creek. Have visited UK a few times.)
I am not Asian but my oservation is there are better job opportunities in the UK than here for Asians especially in IT. I would say Indians are also better integrated in the UK than the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 04-19-2012, 05:55 PM
 
229 posts, read 173,927 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
chalvey (or jpatlanta -- not sure), I think you are of Asian Indian origin. Can you tell me how the Asian Indian experience in UK is? You know how the US is a true melting pot. How is it in UK? Does the Asian Indian population participate in the greater UK economy, or relegated mostly to lower level jobs.

You can send by Direct Message if you wish. (I am of Asian Indian origin. In Johns Creek. Have visited UK a few times.)
Hey. Just messaged you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:36 PM
 
Location: atlanta
2,167 posts, read 1,237,216 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I think we are talking about a comfortable lifestyle. Not a jetsetting lifestyle?

In my (Asian-Indian) language, there is a saying that "for the capable person, even a blade of grass is a weapon". Hopefully many of us will pursue our passion without waiting for the 10 mil to happen!
that's a great saying. wish it were more catchy in english.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-19-2012, 08:37 PM
 
Location: atlanta
2,167 posts, read 1,237,216 times
Reputation: 1148
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

I figure we could keep a motor home in the states and one in the UK, and do a lot of sightseeing just driving around everywhere. Will a big motorhome fit through the Chunnel?
i hope so. wouldn't it be something to drive all the way to china?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-20-2012, 12:18 AM
 
Location: pittsburgh
207 posts, read 227,366 times
Reputation: 52
i would move to superatlanta!! i google mapped it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:07 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,453 posts, read 6,140,516 times
Reputation: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
I don't think people hate Georgia. I think it is a utilitarian place to live/work,
Quote:
but not an inspiring place
.
Do you mean like Jamaica or Cali?I find the beauty of Georgia very inspiring..I do understand in context /comparison if that is what you meant

I see myself with a house in Savannah or Midtown Atlanta near Piedmont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-20-2012, 01:33 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
7,453 posts, read 6,140,516 times
Reputation: 2106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatlanta View Post
I am not Asian but my oservation is there are better job opportunities in the UK than here for Asians especially in IT. I would say Indians are also better integrated in the UK than the US.
Im not saying you are right or wrong ,but it would seem since India was a former colony,,there people would be more intergrated in England.However there seems to be a lot of tensions in the Asian and India communities just in the last decade.

Why would you have nothing to do but build but a "bigger house" anywhere in the world?Atlanta would not unique to that lifestyle.Culture is all around you.It just depends on what cultures you tend to be more interested in.
I chose to live here becasue of multiple reasons where money was not even the main reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-20-2012, 05:29 AM
 
229 posts, read 173,927 times
Reputation: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Im not saying you are right or wrong ,but it would seem since India was a former colony,,there people would be more intergrated in England.However there seems to be a lot of tensions in the Asian and India communities just in the last decade.

Why would you have nothing to do but build but a "bigger house" anywhere in the world?Atlanta would not unique to that lifestyle.Culture is all around you.It just depends on what cultures you tend to be more interested in.
I chose to live here becasue of multiple reasons where money was not even the main reason.

A majority of British Asians have been in the the U.K for decades, compared to only around 15-20 years in the U.S. I have not seen any tension at all, especially when compared to what my dad said happened during the 1970's race riots (Southall). I would say there is a bit of tension with the Muslim community(Indian or any other ethnicity), that was excepted after 9/11.

Agreed. I completely forgot about downtown Savannah. That place has charm.

Last edited by chalvey; 04-20-2012 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:35 AM
 
1,087 posts, read 1,592,980 times
Reputation: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Do you mean like Jamaica or Cali?I find the beauty of Georgia very inspiring..I do understand in context /comparison if that is what you meant

I see myself with a house in Savannah or Midtown Atlanta near Piedmont

Yes. It is all relative (i.e. in comparison to say Pacific Coast Hwy, or something like that -- there is nothing in GA to match that beauty). Most people will probably be able to lead a happy enough life in Georgia.

Just like you probably think Savannah or Midtown Atlanta to be more inspirational than your current locality in Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 04-20-2012, 09:55 AM
 
11 posts, read 7,922 times
Reputation: 18
If I received ten million dollars (tax free) tomorrow, I would spend between $1.5 million - 2 million on a house in Ansley Park. I would give my girlfriend a budget of $200,000 to redo the kitchen and bathrooms.

If not Ansley, maybe Peachtree Battle.

I would still work in order to pay my property taxes in those neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:36 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top