Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes, let us. Give me an example of many non-black celebrities who aren't involved in music and are regularly seen hanging out around Atlanta. What's an example of this that other peer cities can't claim? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Hm, I guess it's all relative. Try Globetrotting over some of the city's better known residential areas and see who lives there. We've got tons of Atlantans who are extremely prominent in the arts, business, philanthropy, medicine, education, hotels, technology, pharmaceuticals, law, banking, architecture, real estate, you name it.

R. Charles Loudermilk's House - Virtual Globetrotting

Anne Cox Chambers' House: Nearby Maps (50km) - Virtual Globetrotting

Fran Tarkenton's House: Nearby Maps (50km) - Virtual Globetrotting

Arthur Blank's House: Nearby Maps (50km) - Virtual Globetrotting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 06:05 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Hm, I guess it's all relative. Try Globetrotting over some of the city's better known residential areas and see who lives there. We've got tons of Atlantans who are extremely prominent in the arts, business, philanthropy, medicine, education, hotels, technology, pharmaceuticals, law, banking, architecture, real estate, you name it.

R. Charles Loudermilk's House - Virtual Globetrotting

Anne Cox Chambers' House: Nearby Maps (50km) - Virtual Globetrotting

Fran Tarkenton's House: Nearby Maps (50km) - Virtual Globetrotting

Arthur Blank's House: Nearby Maps (50km) - Virtual Globetrotting
True, but so do most cities on Atlanta's level. This particular discussion is about entertainment celebrities.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:15 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Yeah, I don't really think many A-Listers are keeping Atlanta realtors' phones jumping off their hooks.

Think about it. I will concede that Atlanta is a nice place to live in some respects. But honestly, if you were making $100,000,000 per picture would you rather be close to the French Riviera or the Redneck Riviera?

Unless they have family ties to the area(i.e. grew up there), work there often, or play for a local team, I really doubt many mainstream celebrities have Atlanta on their radar as a place to live. But you could say the same for 95% of America.

Old 05-02-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Yeah, I don't really think many A-Listers are keeping Atlanta realtors' phones jumping off their hooks.

Think about it. I will concede that Atlanta is a nice place to live in some respects. But honestly, if you were making $100,000,000 per picture would you rather be close to the French Riviera or the Redneck Riviera?

Unless they have family ties to the area(i.e. grew up there), work there often, or play for a local team, I really doubt many mainstream celebrities have Atlanta on their radar as a place to live. But you could say the same for 95% of America.
...is all I'm saying.

This could change, though, if the Georgia film industry continues to grow.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I thought we were talking about Atlanta here, not Gulf Shores, AL.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:08 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Yes, let us. Give me an example of many non-black celebrities who aren't involved in music and are regularly seen hanging out around Atlanta. What's an example of this that other peer cities can't claim? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Jeff Foxworthy, Kenny Rogers,.......I probably could go on....

Old 05-03-2012, 08:22 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
Quote:
True, but so do most cities on Atlanta's level. This particular discussion is about entertainment celebrities.
What is the infatuation with ATL and how many Black this and that live there?? I REALLY do see why some of the members on here say that there is a strong dislike for the city due to whatever label has been put on it. There is no denying that there is a vast number of well to do dudes and dudettes from every aspect of life. If one wants to bask in the shallowness of citizen paparazi and follow so called celebs, then of course there is NYC, and LA. But I will say this, being split resident of two places that commonly get compared, believe me there is MAD money in the "A". You dont see Bugattis and Lambos and Ferraris and Lotuses and such riding thru the boroughs are for that fact Manhattan. Trust that....it is undeniable. Overpriced Realestate does not top tier make..But when you have actually lived places and explored the true QOL amenities that beseach you, then you know sugar from s##t.

I personnaly think that ATL can hold its own to any city whether it be Celeb rentals or home owners. How would we know who lives where or rents? People with money to spend like that own homes in different places. Please dont think that because NYC realestate is high that its like that because of celeb residents. Almost all of those high priced bricks belong to million/billionaires from overseas.

I get the argument that people make about owning where you work, but I dont. I work in NYC and own in ATL. And I am a real life celeb

Last edited by SLIMMACKEY; 05-03-2012 at 08:38 AM..

Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Jeff Foxworthy, Kenny Rogers,.......I probably could go on....
Go ahead, please. Keep in mind that I never said Atlanta doesn't have any non-black celebrities, but that it doesn't exactly trump its peers in this area. Not that I know of.
Quote:
What is the infatuation with ATL and how many Black this and that live there?? I REALLY do see why some of the members on here say that there is a strong dislike for the city due to whatever label has been put on it. There is no denying that there is a vast number of well to do dudes and dudettes from every aspect of life. If one wants to bask in the shallowness of citizen paparazi and follow so called celebs, then of course there is NYC, and LA. But I will say this, being split resident of two places that commonly get compared, believe me there is MAD money in the "A". You dont see Bugattis and Lambos and Ferraris and Lotuses and such riding thru the boroughs are for that fact Manhattan. Trust that....it is undeniable. Overpriced Realestate does not top tier make..But when you have actually lived places and explored the true QOL amenities that beseach you, then you know sugar from s##t.

I personnaly think that ATL can hold its own to any city whether it be Celeb rentals or home owners. How would we know who lives where or rents? People with money to spend like that own homes in different places. Please dont think that because NYC realestate is high that its like that because of celeb residents. Almost all of those high priced bricks belong to million/billionaires from overseas.

I get the argument that people make about owning where you work, but I dont. I work in NYC and own in ATL. And I am a real life celeb
Who's infatuated, and who here has even suggested they dislike Atlanta? I'm merely discussing facts like everyone else.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Go ahead, please. Keep in mind that I never said Atlanta doesn't have any non-black celebrities, but that it doesn't exactly trump its peers in this area. Not that I know of.

You asked for an example; the above staement makes me ask why. The thread is not about does ATL trump peer cities and no one has said so. In fact it has been quite the contrary.

Who's infatuated, and who here has even suggested they dislike Atlanta? I'm merely discussing facts like everyone else.
Come on; you have posted on a lot of ATL threads and I am sure you know as many others do that anytime somebody says something about ATL, they automatically wanna compare it with NY,LA,DC...ect. Lets be real, this thread has gone "Left Field" from the title and original posts. "What attract Celebs and Athletes to ATL".....not whom in ATL is deemed a A lister or not. Or what athlete is the best. This banter has clouded over the initial question asked by the OP. I actually listed physical, materially substantial facts of the amenities that I think would deem ATL attractive to someone who has money to burn. Factual assets of the area that can be touched, tasted and enjoyed. All the so called facts being discussed are pure opinion, subject to the prejudices of whom is stating them. Unless one can provide substantial factual evidence(list of deeds) showing who owns or(rental/lease agreements) rents, then to say that one city has more residential celebs than the other is heresay; and ones opinion. Please read my earlier posts befoer the thread got jacked and share with us the material amenities you think would deem ATL attractive or not to the people the OP was referring to.

This is by no means an attack on you btw...

Old 05-03-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
You asked for an example; the above staement makes me ask why. The thread is not about does ATL trump peer cities and no one has said so. In fact it has been quite the contrary.

Come on; you have posted on a lot of ATL threads and I am sure you know as many others do that anytime somebody says something about ATL, they automatically wanna compare it with NY,LA,DC...ect. Lets be real, this thread has gone "Left Field" from the title and original posts. "What attract Celebs and Athletes to ATL".....not whom in ATL is deemed a A lister or not. Or what athlete is the best. This banter has clouded over the initial question asked by the OP. I actually listed physical, materially substantial facts of the amenities that I think would deem ATL attractive to someone who has money to burn. Factual assets of the area that can be touched, tasted and enjoyed. All the so called facts being discussed are pure opinion, subject to the prejudices of whom is stating them. Unless one can provide substantial factual evidence(list of deeds) showing who owns or(rental/lease agreements) rents, then to say that one city has more residential celebs than the other is heresay; and ones opinion. Please read my earlier posts befoer the thread got jacked and share with us the material amenities you think would deem ATL attractive or not to the people the OP was referring to.

This is by no means an attack on you btw...
You have to look back at my discussion with arjay57 to see what my initial point was.

As far as what blkgiraffe was talking about, I have no idea. I can only speak for myself and stand by my own statements. At the very beginning of this thread, I pointed out that Atlanta has many more celebrities than its peer cities, but I was always pointing out that the extreme majority of them are black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta