Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Atlanta vs Washington DC: Relocating
Washington DC 13 43.33%
Atlanta 17 56.67%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 06:13 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
OK--well, too bad I/we aren't talking about those cities.
Yes, but you were the one who brought regions into the discussion. I mentioned them to show that the South isn't completely monolithic when it comes to this, or a bunch of other things.

Quote:
But I will give you that--it would probably be better for a single black woman (marginally) in the cities you listed. And--Houston+Dallas can be considered Southwest, as well.
Nah, they're Southern. And we won't open that can of worms again here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,044,268 times
If you don't have a job lined up in ATL or DC, I would imagine you could make way more money in NYC with that degree and experience. The dating scene would be better too. Maybe it's too much like Montreal and you want to get into something totally different?

Old 04-22-2012, 06:29 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I can't really comment on dating in Montreal. You might not have the same racial issues we have here. IMO, familiarity breeds contempt here, but might not there. IDK, that's simply been my experience here. I don't know about the COL in Montreal, but I know it's very expensive in D.C. i agree that the west coast is expensive, but the salaries seem commensurate.

I can understand the time zone issue, but have you considered the midwest? When my husband and I were looking to relocate Vancouver was at the top of our short list, but so was Madison WI. Weather is terrible if course, but it's a very progressive town. I can understand wanting to get out of bad weather, but frankly I don't recommend the southern US for Americans, let alone non-native transplants. Unless you're very conservative in your political beliefs, you will be really uncomfortable here. And I've already addressed the abysmal dating prospects.

If you really are determined to move south, and I advise against it, you might rethink "black meccas," whether you want to date IR or not, those cities tend to have a heavily skewed male to female ratio. At one point I would've recommended Charlotte, but I'm notsure about the economic recovery there. Tennessee is another southern state that doesn't seem to be so much aboard the crazy train, but again, I've never dated there so I can't comment in that area.

Over all, here in the states you will find that the cities/states with large black populations tend to be significantly less progressive. The negative relationship is quite substantial; as the black population goes up, progressive policies go down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorn View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't think that dating would be easier here in Montreal than somewhere else. Not that I'm looking for an interracial relationship, but more I'm opened to one. Let's just say that I do not discriminate but at first sight, I'm more physically attracted to the chocolate man.

Going West seem far from me. I would be in a complete different time zone than my friends and family here and I think I consider myself more "east side". I believe the Col to be as expensive in the West but I'm willing to consider it.

One really important condition to my moving is an improvement in the weather. Toronto has the same weather as Montreal. Seattle and Vancouver have those rainy days that I would not be able to survive. Even if DC has a winter, the weather is on average 10degres Celsius higher than Montreal and Atlanta just has the best weather.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:41 PM

46 posts, read 140,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
If you don't have a job lined up in ATL or DC, I would imagine you could make way more money in NYC with that degree and experience. The dating scene would be better too. Maybe it's too much like Montreal and you want to get into something totally different?
I've visited NYC but find it too busy and ugly (just not appealing to me). Not enough trees and too much smog. Plus people seem to only work in NYC and not take time to enjoy. I'm opened to other cities but haven't seen all of them so I'm kinda lost. I have visited Chicago but didn'T like and way too cold. Boston is cold too, expensive and resembles Mtl too much but is just more lay back.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:47 PM

46 posts, read 140,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Read Roslyn's post above. Someone else said that with you skill set, you should have opportunities in many other cities.

Atlanta or DC? No.

For you:
*Non-Montreal Canada
*Europe
*Western U.S.
*Southwestern U.S.
*Upper Midwestern U.S.
*NYC
Hi Aries,
What city would you recommend for Western, Southwestern U.S. or
Upper Midwestern U.S.?
I like NYC to visit but not to live (too fast paced and not enough green areas), unless didn't visit the nice places

Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I can understand wanting to get out of bad weather, but frankly I don't recommend the southern US for Americans, let alone non-native transplants. Unless you're very conservative in your political beliefs, you will be really uncomfortable here.
Oh I completely disagree with this. This is a pretty bad mischaracterization of such a broad region.

Quote:
At one point I would've recommended Charlotte, but I'm notsure about the economic recovery there.
The latest data suggest that it's starting to take hold.

Quote:
Over all, here in the states you will find that the cities/states with large black populations tend to be significantly less progressive. The negative relationship is quite substantial; as the black population goes up, progressive policies go down.
What exactly do you mean by progressive policies?

Old 04-22-2012, 08:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I've lived in this region for most of my nearly fifty years. I've lived in almost every state in the southeast and visited them all. Some for substantial periods of time. I stand by my statement. I have watch the Confederacy ride this crazy train to absolute and utter ruin. I love this region, but I would get out and never look back if I could. It's damned hard to live in a state that's essentially trying to make my very existence illegal.

When I speak of progressive policies I mean states that welcome unions, support education and promote the well being of the citizens over corporations and have a tax structure, consumer protection laws, environmental protection and an economic safety net in place to support that.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I've lived in this region for most of my nearly fifty years. I've lived in almost every state in the southeast and visited them all. Some for substantial periods of time. I stand by my statement. I have watch the Confederacy ride this crazy train to absolute and utter ruin. I love this region, but I would get out and never look back if I could. It's damned hard to live in a state that's essentially trying to make my very existence illegal.
Certainly the South has its issues, but I'm not an ultraconservative and I don't feel really uncomfortable here. Same with the tons of Northerners who have moved and continue to move South.

Quote:
When I speak of progressive policies I mean states that welcome unions, support education and promote the well being of the citizens over corporations and have a tax structure, consumer protection laws, environmental protection and an economic safety net in place to support that.
Well those policies are made on the state level and have very little to do with Blacks; you were making it seem as though it were a cause/effect situation. New York has pretty much all of that and it has the most Blacks among U.S. metro areas.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:45 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yes, but you were the one who brought regions into the discussion. I mentioned them to show that the South isn't completely monolithic when it comes to this, or a bunch of other things.

Nah, they're Southern. And we won't open that can of worms again here.
Um, Mutiny--

I said those cities may be (marginally) better than Atlanta.

But, they are not better than the regions I listed.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:49 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
DC has the LOWEST MARRIAGE RATE IN THE COUNTRY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta