U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 10:04 AM

1,866 posts, read 4,559,222 times

Advertisements

Well, the closer you get to Chamblee, the more diverse it is (north Dunwoody, not so much). There's lots of religious diversity in Dunwoody; there is a significant Jewish population, including a number of Orthodox Jews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 10:41 AM

453 posts, read 655,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite777 View Post
Hi. Considering a move to ATL in a year or two with my wife and baby from the DC area. I have visited a number of times staying and spending time in Buckhead, Gwinnett, and Cobb. The key things I'm looking for not in order of priority are 1. safe low crime area, 2. good schools, 3. commute to common parts of the metro area within 45 minutes during rush hour, 4. diverse area (not once race making up over 75% of the population). I came across Dunwoody based on my criteria. Is my assessment correct? What are other areas that would match all or most of my criteria? Thanks.
Also look at N Brookhaven 30319. I think in your price range 30338 and 30319 are the best bet. Both zips are full of educated younger familes.

If you have the right skills its very easy to find a job in IT in Atlanta or just continue to work remote with your DC job.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:07 PM

17 posts, read 30,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DunwoodyPanhandle View Post
I would sincerely hope this move is dependent on a job offer. Please realize that Atlanta's economy is in free fall, and moving here without a job would be completely irrational.

By the way, Dunwoody is not diverse.
ideally i will have secured a job in order to make the actual move. hopefully a year or two from now things will be better (can they get much worse?). i see that the housing market in ATL has been among the worst if not the worst over the past few years.

Old 04-25-2012, 05:44 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,621,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nite777 View Post
ideally i will have secured a job in order to make the actual move. hopefully a year or two from now things will be better (can they get much worse?). i see that the housing market in ATL has been among the worst if not the worst over the past few years.
Well, you have to take that with a grain of salt. Certain areas of the metro area have cratered, while other, more established/higher-end areas have done okay. The general area you are looking in has weathered the storm relatively well (although there are definitely some good deals to be had).

Old 04-26-2012, 12:51 PM

439 posts, read 697,228 times
For people who live in Atlanta "diversity" means: 'yea there's black people there!'.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 PM

6 posts, read 8,270 times
1, 2, and 3 - Yes. 4 - No. It's not very diverse here, mostly white (with large jewish population).

Bought a house in Dunwoody in March of 2010. I love the location, it's central to everything, and with 400/285/75/85 nearby, you can get to suburbs areas like Johns Creek within a reasonable time, or get to downtown in 10 minutes (outside of traffic hours). Very safe area and plenty of parks if you are the outdoors type. Could of gotten a bigger newer house up in Suwanee or something, but the location was definitely worth the sacrifice.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:27 PM

1,957 posts, read 1,998,693 times
You should clarify what a 'reasonable time' is. During rush hour, I don't think you could get to any places in Johns Creek from Dunwoody in less than 20 minutes (unless you were right on the northern border). 30 minutes would be more likely if you had to make it out to Jones Br from Womack Rd

That entire commute would be side streets including a couple of 1-lane roads

Old 06-12-2012, 01:39 PM

22,172 posts, read 16,173,511 times
Dunwoody has plenty of parks? Where? its one of the lowest ratios in the metro.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:08 AM

616 posts, read 878,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Dunwoody has plenty of parks? Where? its one of the lowest ratios in the metro.

This is true. Dunwoody itself is pretty sparse when it comes to city parks, although it has a few. The Dunwoody Nature Center is pretty nice too. However, Dunwoody is very close/easily accessible to the Chattahoochee River national park which is beautiful and has a ton of hiking, water access, etc.

Also (slightly off topic), it looks like they have finally started building the sidewalks down Dunwoody Club Drive by the country club. Now all of those Mt. Vernon runners will have somewhere else to route if they want.

Old 06-13-2012, 03:27 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,960,913 times
Some areas near Dunwoody have decent amounts of parks. I tend to think of much of Dunwoody being high density development, lots of high rise office parks and condos and lacking in green space. Though the original poster has probably decided already, I personally think it would be great to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or