U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 02:12 AM

5 posts, read 10,129 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am moving to Atlanta to work close to the airport next month. I come from Germany, and green card are on its way, so everyhting are fine with this. My annual salary are around USD 60.000,- so I have fair bit of money to rent and car, but can people help out regarding this. Which areas are nice places to stay??? I have set approx. 800-1000 USD/month to rent, suppose that should get me starting. I think I will lease a car, but it is difficult finding places where I can lease, can almost only find buy a car pages... And does anyone know what the approx. start car insurance are??? Thank you for a confused German! Looking forward coming to Atlanta though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 03:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 3,743,698 times
What is your age, what type of social activities are you looking for ?

Insurance amounts will depend on how much coverage you have (liability, collision) and what type of car that you have. It is generally recommended that you price compare insurance before you make a decision on the isurance. I expect that if you are leasing a car they will require collision

Old 04-24-2012, 11:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 5,322,815 times
I'd also warn that car insurance can be substantially more expensive for temporary residents. I read a post on here recently of another person in the same situation having to pay something like $4000 a year just for the car insurance. That's about 4 times what I pay for two vehicles.

As for leasing a car, it usually make more sense in the long run to buy rather than lease but in your situation there may be some advantages. Then again leasing a car means much higher insurance.
You should be able to lease just about anything from a new car dealer. You can find ads for lease offers in the newspaper but a lot of those are just teasers.

The most desirable areas are not anywhere near the airport but my suggestion would be to find an area north of downtown and south of roswell that is close to the marta subway train. That will take you right to the airport in the event you can't get the car thing worked out and that area is a little easier than most if you don't have a car. It's still going to be a long commute, but that's Atlanta.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM

23,393 posts, read 17,559,252 times
You can always use Zipcars when you need a car and use MARTA as a great way to get around the city of Atlanta.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:57 PM

7,112 posts, read 8,366,477 times
We have a very good (and cheap) rail system, MARTA, that goes right to the airport (if that is close enough). I'd suggest renting a place near a MARTA station. There are apartments around Lindbergh, Lenox, and North Springs stations, and probably near other stations as well. That'll make your commute VERY easy and cheap.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:20 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,288,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cittic10 View Post
I'd also warn that car insurance can be substantially more expensive for temporary residents. I read a post on here recently of another person in the same situation having to pay something like $4000 a year just for the car insurance. That's about 4 times what I pay for two vehicles.

As for leasing a car, it usually make more sense in the long run to buy rather than lease but in your situation there may be some advantages. Then again leasing a car means much higher insurance.
You should be able to lease just about anything from a new car dealer. You can find ads for lease offers in the newspaper but a lot of those are just teasers.

Quote:
The most desirable areas are not anywhere near the airport but my suggestion would be to find an area north of downtown and south of roswell that is close to the marta subway train.
That will take you right to the airport in the event you can't get the car thing worked out and that area is a little easier than most if you don't have a car. It's still going to be a long commute, but that's Atlanta.
I find that remark quite disagreeable.
Fayetteville-Peachtree City are suburban and among the most affluent area in the Atlanta metro region.Less traffic and congestion,good schools and fairly close to the airport.(20min)
Like most other surburban areas this area is very "suburban" in nature and compared to many German areas,meaning more spread out.

Downtown College Park,East Point(Camp Creek Area)-This area is a fairly new area with nice a large stock of newer homes and even newer retail shops at nearby Camp Creek Marketplace.
Camp Creek MarketPlace
This area is very close to the airport(10min) and also will provide you better access to the city of Atlanta if you want to be closer.It will also allow you to park at one of the Marta Subway stations and ride into the city when you need.

Downtown College Park will offer you more of a densely populated typical old fashioned main street American feel with its collection of beautiful neighborhoods and homes.More diverse and Urban with more crime ,but not bad enough to not consider as a viable safe option.
It should be noted that their is different parts of College Park that are huge in that they are very different.People will write off the entire area who know little about it,but the area I refer to as "Downtown" College Park is the area of reference I mentioned.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:28 AM

Hi everyone,
Thanks for your help.

I am 30years old, I am single and are a sports fanatic. I love playing soccer (I know that is not a hit in US!!!), but I also play golf, tennis and squash. I checked out suburbs and saw Peachtree City, which was close to a lot of golf courses and nature. Then I also look at Centennial Place area, close to city and close to a lot of sports activities. I need to have a car, since it is a must for work, but this will also help if I want to live in the city and play golf outside, then I got easy transportation. Does people have any other interesting places for a "young" fresh, European in the Atlanta area???

Old 04-27-2012, 03:30 AM

Oh, forgot.
I actually love american sports, I follow both NFL, NBA, MLB, Hockey are not a big interest, but I know the rules and are in general happy for all american sports. I am looking forward to see Falcons and Hawks for sure. This is also why I heard of Centennial place since it was close to both Georgia Dome and youth places, I do nto know if it is true???

Old 04-27-2012, 03:36 AM

657 posts, read 1,311,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
We have a very good (and cheap) rail system, MARTA, that goes right to the airport (if that is close enough). I'd suggest renting a place near a MARTA station. There are apartments around Lindbergh, Lenox, and North Springs stations, and probably near other stations as well. That'll make your commute VERY easy and cheap.
Very cheap and easy and VERY dangerous.

Why would you recommend a German to use Marta to travel to South Atlanta on a daily basis? Don't you think they would be a little conspicuous as well as a target?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:14 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,356,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Very cheap and easy and VERY dangerous.

Why would you recommend a German to use Marta to travel to South Atlanta on a daily basis? Don't you think they would be a little conspicuous as well as a target?
MARTA is not that dangerous. My son attends Woodward Academy and many students take it to the college park stop. My son has taken it with a friend who lives in Ansley Park and it is not unsafe. People are so dramatic about South Atlanta being so hood. I would be more afraid in the exurbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or