Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,859,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
A more reasonable comparison would be to see if the average home value of houses within a half mile radius (walking distance) of a MARTA station is higher than that of similar sized homes elsewhere. I doubt you are going to see an advantage. In fact, the most expensive residential real estate which is the far west side of Buckhead (and to a certain extent south Sandy Springs and Vinings) isn't anywhere near a MARTA station, so I don't see your argument holding up. The reality on the ground, here is that those who can't afford to drive a car take MARTA.
There are homes in Candler Park, Inman Park, and Lake Claire all within 1/2 mile of a station that are worth more than homes in North Fulton and East Cobb. These homes are older, have character, and are walkable. The neighborhoods offer the option to commute by transit and that's the added value that suburban areas do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,659,327 times
There are homes in Chamblee, Brookhaven, Doraville, Sandy Springs/Dunwoody that haven't seen that kind of benefit. An analysis would be interesting, but not sure that correlation equals causation, in this case.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,475 times
He was talking about Powers Ferry/Riverside/Vinings area. Homes there are worth a quite a bit more than the areas you are talking about. Now, when talking aesthetics of Candler & Inman Park, I could buy into your argument about having "character" & "walkable".

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
There are homes in Candler Park, Inman Park, and Lake Claire all within 1/2 mile of a station that are worth more than homes in North Fulton and East Cobb. These homes are older, have character, and are walkable. The neighborhoods offer the option to commute by transit and that's the added value that suburban areas do not have.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:22 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,054,003 times
Quote:
These homes are older, have character, and are walkable. The neighborhoods offer the option to commute by transit and that's the added value that suburban areas do not have.
OMG, people in this thread need to step down, relax, visit their local colleges and enroll in a Statistics 101 class!

This logic is so horrible, that it can't even be called logic. Let's apply it to every aspect of our daily lives.

* I got hit by a car in broad daylight. The next day it was snowing and I got home fine. Therefore, more car accidents must happen in sunny weather than snowy conditions.

* I have lived in an up and coming neighborhood for years with no problems and values stagnated. Last year, I got broken into and now prices are coming up. Therefore, more break-ins must equal increased value.

Alright, I could go on and on, but people with brains in their heads will understand what is going on here.

You can't talk about homes in neighborhoods that are desireable anyway and attribute that desireability to a single attribute. Especially when that attribute is shared by many, many areas that are completely NOT desireable. Compound that with the fact that there are many desireable areas....in fact, the city's MOST desireable areas....that do not share the attribute at all.

That's called anecdotal evidence. And it isn't accepted as an indicator of causation.

Now, if you want to take that anecdotal evidence and use it as a basis for a hypothesis and then use the scientific method to try to prove it.....go nuts! Once you do that, then you can make a valid point. When all you have is an isolated correlation, especially where in more cases the EXACT OPPOSITE correlation can be observed, then you have no point at all.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:48 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,350,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
OMG, people in this thread need to step down, relax, visit their local colleges and enroll in a Statistics 101 class!

This logic is so horrible, that it can't even be called logic. Let's apply it to every aspect of our daily lives.

* I got hit by a car in broad daylight. The next day it was snowing and I got home fine. Therefore, more car accidents must happen in sunny weather than snowy conditions.

* I have lived in an up and coming neighborhood for years with no problems and values stagnated. Last year, I got broken into and now prices are coming up. Therefore, more break-ins must equal increased value.

Alright, I could go on and on, but people with brains in their heads will understand what is going on here.

You can't talk about homes in neighborhoods that are desireable anyway and attribute that desireability to a single attribute. Especially when that attribute is shared by many, many areas that are completely NOT desireable. Compound that with the fact that there are many desireable areas....in fact, the city's MOST desireable areas....that do not share the attribute at all.

That's called anecdotal evidence. And it isn't accepted as an indicator of causation.

Now, if you want to take that anecdotal evidence and use it as a basis for a hypothesis and then use the scientific method to try to prove it.....go nuts! Once you do that, then you can make a valid point. When all you have is an isolated correlation, especially where in more cases the EXACT OPPOSITE correlation can be observed, then you have no point at all.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
OMG, people in this thread need to step down, relax, visit their local colleges and enroll in a Statistics 101 class
Never took Stats, so that must be the reason.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:35 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
I can tell by the comments that the OP's article is laughable but since the text was removed before I could read it, could the OP please provide a link?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:04 PM

425 posts, read 1,755,475 times
Or go watch an episode of Portlandia, choose one, they are both nonsensical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I can tell by the comments that the OP's article is laughable but since the text was removed before I could read it, could the OP please provide a link?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:05 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,945 times
Not all suburbs are created equal. There's a world of difference between living in the first ring out--Sandy Springs, Stone Mountain, Smyrna, etc.--and living way out in Cumming, Cartersville, or Cumming.

(Hmm...all cities in the first group start with an S, and all those in the second start with a C. Literary devices, much?)

Old 04-27-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
(Hmm...all cities in the first group start with an S, and all those in the second start with a C. Literary devices, much?)
Genius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta